2 years without update ?

The about page in Renoise 3.1.0 says it was compiled 9 January 2016.

That’s just 1.5 years!

Exactly my point! Seems everyone is reading too many product catalogs or watching Youtube videos about other products (can’t help it though, browsing is fun…). However, ask yourself this question, how much music are your really creating end of day, and how much of what is in the market is exactly NEW, as in GROUNDBREAKING?

Just like a love story, movie makers either come up with a truly original story or just cash grabs and retelling of the same old thing. Renoise is very unique in everything, the scene, the roots and the method of making music with it itself. Its not exactly a people pleaser, neither a sell out either. Keep your hopes up and continue doing what Renoise was made initially for.

Also learn more music, entire classical music was made without ANY DAW whatsoever, same with Jazz. Certainly buy the hardware like a LaunchPad or an MPC but also maybe a REAL instrument like a Guitar or Piano and learn to read music and build skills in orchestration and composition. Those will take years, enable you to make better music and teach you about the methods what the great composers are known for. Trackers are fantastic in a cyber era of things that we are living in, but do not forget where the music came from. NO amount of feature set in software will enable you to make ‘better’ music, than your own brain.

Buy an iPad and grab Beatmaker 3, its swish !!

Beatmaker is top notch MPC clone. An external controller with pads get the PADS bit really well. I did not like the timing capture in the sequencer as it was not recording and playing back correctly. Also the quantize is a very weird kind of implementation that I understood and stayed away from it. It has its own bugs and crashes too. But the UI and the sound quality was certainly worth it. Price is less too. I still have a license for it on the App store. Good stuff for sample based music. Sampler section is every extensive, layers and zones and all that.

GarageBand app has a very playable Bass and Electric guitar and it scales well on the iPad screen real estate. Best virtual bass playing experience ever. Including bends and pull offs and slaps. Beats any paid VSTi for FREE on the iPad.

Couple this with Notion App and AudioBus, makes the iPad totally worth it for mobile stuff.

I haven’t updated my MPC1000 jjos2xl since July 2015 :smiley: Still worksflawlessly, haven’t had any crash in years… as with Renoise too :smiley:

Let’s not get caught in that “waiting for the game-changing update” cycle.

I still see people using OctaMED today… or vintage hardware samplers… and they all are used for what they are and what they give sonically or workflow-wise

Nice and very true. In the current climate of mass consumerism and fast-fashion materialism where things sold today as junk just day after tomorrow is what the real problem is, not the feature set of any worthwhile investment. Today’s youth generations are facing numerous problems from over population and overcrowding, lack of jobs, depleting resources and pollution and ill health and stress etc. Minimalism is taking the world by storm as a genuine way to maximise efficiency and happiness in ones life. LESS IS MORE (less as in less fluff and redundancy and waste and needless accumulation, not deficiency but efficiency and focus; likewise MORE as in more time, more productivity, more results, more focus). There is a difference between being a ‘cheap skate’ and a frugal pragmatist or an ‘aimless wanderer or hobo’ and a world explorer. Which side you take also has impact in your life. Just like a gym membership, with the floor filled with useless gadgets, if you just use a strong pull up bar and use THAT everyday, you will have a rock solid upper core and 6 pack in no time.

Discipline is the secret for a lot many achievers and both celebrated and unsung heroes round the world, and maybe we all can and should learn from what others are doing right. Chasing trends is not the solution, it is part of the problem. A trend is neither timeless nor an evolution, it is transient, and it gives oneself a transitory pleasure. Basically with new gear and hardware-software, we are chasing pleasure, and getting sold on the idea of making ‘better’ music, which ironically 2 years after or even sooner will be seen as an old tool to give place for the next best thing. Barely even 5 years time – that is the longevity of the current industry. Why? Because people need to make money. That is why. Not because you need their latest ‘innovation’, but genuinely because they need your money, and also because they know they can sell it to you.

It certainly worked the last time, did it not?

Choosing wisely and sticking with it is the best way forward. If you have money to burn then by all means pamper yourself, enjoy this world well since you wont be able to take a dime with you when you make to the next one.

I just want this bugfix to be released tbh

Seems to be fixed though right? Given your timestamp it seems you have not gone over the bugfixes I suppose.

Seems to be fixed though right? Given your timestamp it seems you have not gone over the bugfixes I suppose.

it’s fixed in the next version, which still isn’t out

honestly the long development cycles are totally understandable since it’s a complex piece of software being worked on by a relatively small team, but the consistent policy of lacking communication of planned features is weird

Whoever has put the title of this topic seems to have speculated well over time.Probably in 2 years or even more we will not see a “update version” of bug fix, possibly called 3.1.1 (this is not a new version, but a bug fix of version 3.1.0.).Strictly speaking, a new version like “3.2” will likely arrive in 3 or 4 years…, or more?

This bug was detected in late January 2016 (1 year and 6 months ago).It is already in the list of bugs solved.The problem is that the new version with all these bugs resolved from the list will arrive probably after 2 years or even more.

Fixing bugs does not seem to be a problem. In practice, they usually resolve soon, or very soon. Perhaps “the problem” is copying again a new software package for each platform, which seems much more complex than fixing loose bugs.In the list there are about 20 bugs solved, problems with version 3.1.0.It’s been more than half year since these bugs are solved. But launching a new version with those bugs does not cost 6 months.It simply is not planned to launch yet, because “the time” is being used for something else (not Renoise).

it’s fixed in the next version, which still isn’t out

honestly the long development cycles are totally understandable since it’s a complex piece of software being worked on by a relatively small team, but the consistent policy of lacking communication of planned features is weird

The main developer is working on other software. “The problem” is not the complexity of Renoise’s software. If time is used for software other than is not Renoise, it is normal for years to see a new version that only solves some bugs (I repeat: only solves some bugs).As the title of this topic indicates, the issue is “the time”, not “the complex software”.It would be reasonable a new version every 2 years (because it’s a small team), but not a version that only solves several bugs.

It is not just the lack of communication. It is also the ways in which responsible people will answer you if you ask about these issues.New people, enter the forums and ask. The impression that will be taken will not be very good.The only solution for all is this: “much patience!”

Having said all this, error correction is also very important! Some users have problems with those bugs (errors solved months ago, without a release yet).

The main developer is working on other software.

that’s what’s been told. no proof of that.

Eduard Mueller’s LinkedIn profile-

https://www.linkedin.com/in/eduard-mueller-b9374b7/

He did work for Ableton and ended the stint at 2008. Currently works at both Renoise and Supramotion, based in Berlin. His profile is surprisingly sparse in terms of details and only 61 core connections, which is nice btw, he knows what he wants or needs, and not very privy to outsiders.

Must be other update in these forums though, his number of posts is exponentially huge…

@raul: “This bug was detected in late January 2016 (1 year and 6 months ago). It is already in the list of bugs solved. The problem is that the new version with all these bugs resolved from the list will arrive probably after 2 years or even more”

I would be surprised, but I replicated @dblue’s steps and tried to get the bug come out in different ways on the automation panel, and it looks to be fixed already. Not sure why is it ‘solved’ but still in revision?

that’s what’s been told. no proof of that.

Ok, but for me it is enough that taktik mentioned it, and I think that danoise and dblue too. I trust in the words of these men.I do not believe at all that someone has the need to lie.

If there is no news about the new taktik software, it will be because there is nothing finished, and they will not want to announce anything. This is called “behind closed door” software development.

Eduard Mueller’s LinkedIn profile-

https://www.linkedin.com/in/eduard-mueller-b9374b7/

He did work for Ableton and ended the stint at 2008. Currently works at both Renoise and Supramotion, based in Berlin. His profile is surprisingly sparse in terms of details and only 61 core connections, which is nice btw, he knows what he wants or needs, and not very privy to outsiders.

Must be other update in these forums though, his number of posts is exponentially huge…

This is the first time I see a taktik photo :lol:

@raul: “This bug was detected in late January 2016 (1 year and 6 months ago). It is already in the list of bugs solved. The problem is that the new version with all these bugs resolved from the list will arrive probably after 2 years or even more”

I would be surprised, but I replicated @dblue’s steps and tried to get the bug come out in different ways on the automation panel, and it looks to be fixed already. Not sure why is it ‘solved’ but still in revision?

I have not checked this bug, but it would not be strange that the list of pending bugs is not 100% updated. Maybe a slip?By the way, have you tried it with the relevant operating system?

Probably more errors have been detected already exist and there is no advertised on this list of pending bugs.

Meanwhile, Renoise Scriping and Tools Forums are empty! Encourage to learn LUA and to share tools or tests of tools :D. Meantime!

… seriously ? you’re joking ?

I actually feel this way too; i boot it up, i can do whatever the heart desires, its flawless and stable.

I’m wondering if the next update will be a bugfix update or a new feautures update though…

I’m wondering if the next update will be a bugfix update or a new feautures update though…

I understand that just bugfix, there is no major change or addition.Until Taktik returns, there are no more plans. In fact, I think they were planning to release version 3.1.1 months ago, but in the end they have delayed it. But that’s what I think. Do not expect responsible people to be very detailed here.

How about summer and vacations?There’s a lot of beach around here!!! :slight_smile:

@encryptedmind. If you want to investigate more, install the demo of this software:

Sublime HD :https://www.supramotion.de/software/downloads

It is a video editor for Blu ray and DVD, which has blatant similarities with Renoise.You look at the GUI. The last version 2.1.1 is in 2012, price 242€ (include VAT).

Manual:https://www.supramotion.de/Download/Sublime_HD_Manual.pdf

@encryptedmind. If you want to investigate more, install the demo of this software:

Sublime HD : https://www.supramotion.de/software/downloads

It is a video editor for Blu ray and DVD, which has blatant similarities with Renoise. You look at the GUI. The last version 2.1.1 is in 2012, price 242€ (include VAT).

Manual: https://www.supramotion.de/Download/Sublime_HD_Manual.pdf

Yeah the software is nice and some elements of the UI have parallels with Renoise :slight_smile:

Am getting into Lua 4th chapter now and will start filling the scripting forums very soon with noob questions and I have a couple of tool designs already in place… will start rolling them out now ?

Btw @raul, are you comfortable with XStream models scripting? I think the chord analyser logic is all set with me but getting into Lua, XStream, APIs at the same time will not be too productive. I can focus on Lua and Renoise tools, but XStream seems to go on a related but deeper tangent. Maybe you can write a mini chord analyser model and I can take it from there? Or else I will just have to wait for me to turn up with it in time ?

For a mini chord analuzer, the workflow is read midi input and process the input to display a text string that tells the chord type. Midi input is processed by Xstream, also the note selection arrays etc are readable, but some amount of Lua programming needs to be done to make the basic logic work. It can work just on C,F,G, Am chords for now. The simplest way is to read the note string only and ignore the octave, search for the preset chord note sequence in an array or list and for every correct match in the table it prints out the chord name. The octaves are not needed since they can be all normalised to the note name itself. This would mean inversions are taken care of but for now a ‘simplifying chord analyser’ would just be perfect step in the right direction. So when user presses A,C,E he reads Am from the model output.

Btw I already figured out how to make my own Renoise tool keybindings and menu entries where I see that I can change the menu strings or menu placement just by editing the script text. I moved the Tap Tempo tool from the tools menu to my Pattern Editor context menu, exactly as I would like it and I changed the menu strings of some tools to funny names or acronyms, nice to play with this stuff-location and description. I also can read all the renoise.song() objects and print all string values obtained. I also ran many of the functions from the math library and the os class like os.execute() which I made execute the calc.exe just by feeding “calc.exe” as the string which means it reads the environment variables and can run system application directly; the os.clock(), and io class functions. rprint() and oprint() for recursive and object displays of Renoise objects. I checked the invoke parameter in the tool script to call the main function. Also am using the scripting terminal with its superb ease of use in terms of tool integration,reload all tools feature, Lua syntax colouring, XML viewer and simple key commands for run(Ctrl+R), editor(ctrl+E) and terminal(ctrl+T). You access the tool scripts that Renoise loads, on the left, where in addition to the resources the main.lua is where all the action happens and the manifest.xml file is where you set the tool description properties. I also read the note vales from the terminal by feeding the Renoise.song() properties and
functions like, pattern [1].track[1].line[1].column[1] (if I remember correctly while typing now) where I can see the note string and the note number (in another parameter) of the note column and the line in query. Great stuff! I can also set the value similarly just by feeding a string like ‘C-4’ or a number like 60 to the same line. Thus if I encapsulate the setter/getter inside a print() function I can query it and without using print I can set the values as in a regular function. Also all the indexes are from 1. The changes are immediately reflected in the Renoise Patten editor. Similarly transport controls are done programmatically by start stop functions. A start from line number function is also there and I can also change the tempo using one of Renoise.song() functions. Super deep library for sure, certainly in terms of supporting the core Renoise features.

Really having fun reading all the work done so far. @joules tools are the simplest and very informative, as well as the Tap Tempo tool and Ledger scripts. Finally I get to see what the Find and Replace tool is working behind like and a peek at the more daunting ones from @danoise and yourself and a few others.

The viewbuilder object is used to populate GUI elements and the example tools show well enough how to use them. Suddenly Renoise tooling looks very feasible for newcomers as well :slight_smile:

So now if I want to make a tool that can increment or decrement a value, all I need to do is store the ‘selected lines’ range value and use that length to read the lines to a table. Once in the table, the column types can be individually accessed as 3,4,5,6,7,8 from a single line. If there are single note columns the V/P/D/FX follow a linear incrementing index system making programmatic access easy. From there a bit of sorting and just feeding the new set of values and writing the table back should work. Much like the Find and Replace kind of codes but with a few more changes.

Now I just need to practice enough Lua to know how to read tables and how to feel comfortable doing it. Also a few nice things about Lua, you read the length of a string by a #prefix. Sweet. You can use long strings by using double square brackets [] and putting any thing between that to display exactly as intended. Lua is also quite deep so I have just scratched the surface.

I have one question(of many) though right now, how do I feed the path of a file in order to use the File.readbytes() function since I am giving a fully qualified name like C:\1.svg but it is not reading anything. Is it only reading files from the current tool directory or maybe it needs a specific path format string?

@encrypteredmid.Now you will have a very big problem. Once you get into LUA & API it’s like a drug. You will want to know more and more :D. In a week studying things, you’re already building tools. What it costs is to boot. Now he has.

In order not to divert the subject, try to use the forums of LUA to comment and ask questions on that topic.If you have questions about XStream, you’d better ask its author at the appropriate topic.XStream is a great tool, but very complex, and use custom libraries, cLib, vLib, xLib.It is a very deep forest…

@encrypteredmid. Now you will have a very big problem. Once you get into LUA & API it’s like a drug. You will want to know more and more :D. In a week studying things, you’re already building tools. What it costs is to boot. Now he has.

In order not to divert the subject, try to use the forums of LUA to comment and ask questions on that topic. If you have questions about XStream, you’d better ask its author at the appropriate topic. XStream is a great tool, but very complex, and use custom libraries, cLib, vLib, xLib. It is a very deep forest…

???

Hello All,

Always the same question: Any update planned soon ?

Ben.

A satisfied Renoise-user asked a question, developers.

Answer it.

That’s the least you guys could do.

edit : this topic had answered most by persons who don’t have the answer; (Raul (ulneiz), Conner_Bw, sokoban, joule, me, stygmate, Fsus4, stygmate, Mivo ,ArturRembe, LOLFAIL, terminalbash, crazya02, KASETA, Bungle, encryptedmind )

one reply by a member of the Renoise Team with this:

OK. Bump in six months, let’s see how we’re doing by then.

Is this answering a question these days?

Answer it.

The main (only?) renoise dev has answered it already, basically a bug fix is imminent. Exactly when is anyone’s guess.

i honestly would love if they manage…to insert timestretchnig capabilities in real time …even the shitiest algorithm would do the trick in a software that is so hardcore sample oriented

and please redesign the automation panel…:frowning: …still dont know why you cant put 2 points in the same line grid :((

and please please…make all channels in the mixer the same type so we can route audio in the way we want :slight_smile:

if you do this 3 things …you can even release the next version as renoise 4.5 or something and charge everyone for the update :frowning:

…and please redesign the automation panel… :frowning: …still dont know why you cant put 2 points in the same line grid :((

Technically there is no such thing as 2 different events at the same(!) grid-line. But I definitely understand what you mean. In reality only one event will be exactly on the grid line and the other one will be on the nearest “tick” to the left or to the right. It is still possible to control it in Renoise, I’m sure you know it, by turning the “snapping” off. What confuses me is that when the zoom is significantly “out” and you move the event right to the desired one, it appears to be not exactly on the nearest tick, but at about 2-3 ticks away when you fully zoom it in. When zoomed in you can move it right where you need. I did not tested it super extensively, maybe there is some reasons and explanations behind it.