2nd favourite DAW in Linux

Lilith which graphics driver do you use, nouveau by any chance?

Beschreibung: VGA compatible controller

Produkt: Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller

Why?

Lilith which graphics driver do you use, nouveau by any chance?

I made a (nonsene) track with 25 Tracks in Qtractor with mostly zynaddsubfx, calf reverb, etc. No crash… I think it 's just due to some special plugins, as long I don’t use them it seems to be fine. :slight_smile:

I talked to Rui concerning the qtractor crashes and it seems that Calf plugins (especially the analyzer) is responsible for it. Also there are problems with HELM. I try to built qtractor by myself and try to figure out what´s wrong. However, I´m not the only one with problems.

Ardour also crashed yestrerday playing around with the red zeppelin multiple drum kit and routing all channels to separate tracks. I´ll wait for the new KXStudio release.

Why?

Because Nouvaou has problems with realtime audio https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau#Random_lockups_with_kernel_error_messages

I installed Debian 9 + the KX repositories and wanted to give Waveform a try. It does not start and hangs at the initializing plugins step. Anyone using it with debain instead of ubuntu?

edit: It works under Debian Stretch… I started in the terminal and it starts!

@Gavin: I observed this yesterday in WAVEFORM: https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=18439&p=92351#p92351

You don’t have any problems with carla?

@Gavin: I observed this yesterday in WAVEFORM: https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=18439&p=92351#p92351

You don’t have any problems with carla?

Hey there,

I’ve used Carla a few times and personally I’ve not had that issue. I’m using the beta of Ubuntu 18.04 and not Debian 9 so I don’t know if there is some window management fixes that Ubuntu have patched that prevents this behaviour from happening with Juce apps.

But definitely put the same post in the Tracktion forums with a link back to KXstudio posts where that guy who used to work on Juce responded.

Luckily, the devs are all over the Tracktion forum and you will be heard.

Cheers,

Gavin

Ok :slight_smile:

I checking out Reaper at the moment and on my new system stability is much better. Some plugins crashed, but reaper native seems to be stable now. Is there any chance to get the font better?

Been using reaper native since mid 2017, it works so well… I’m also using linvst for winvst bridging, this is also excellent and the developer is very active with it.

Anything in particular you wanted to know about reaper on linux? I’d love to share with you my experience so far.

Cheers

I checking out Reaper at the moment and on my new system stability is much better. Some plugins crashed, but reaper native seems to be stable now. Is there any chance to get the font better?

Hey,

Yeah, Reaper 5.80 is now available and Landoleet as always has up-to-date Linux builds. Yes, it’s super stable. I was almost persuaded to give it a go instead of Waveform and I still have it installed and play with it from time to time. I’m thinking I might buy it just the same although it wont be my preferred DAW.

Oh, onto you question. Reaper uses it’s own GUI toolkit (like most others including Waveform & Renoise) and I found a setting I can set in the ~/.config/REAPER/reaper.ini file. Add the following in:

ui_scale=1.2 // scales the sizes in libSwell.colortheme

Put it up the top in with the other UI stuff and you should be goo to go on next run. It should go in the [.swell] section of the config file.

Btw, change the number (I use 1.2) to whatever works for you.

Just a forewarning, We are probably taking it too far discussing Reaper config changes in the Renoise forums. Maybe KVR would be a better place for this… Just sayin’. We’re both gonna end up in hot water here so I wont help you with this type of thing in this forum from here on. I don’t wanna get kicked. :slight_smile: I hope you understand.

Cheers,

Gav

Awesome, thanks!!! Looks much better !! I set it to 1.1. No prob…I’ll go to KVR then… I really wonder how it’s possible to pack so much into a 8MB program.

Hey,

Yeah, Reaper 5.80 is now available and Landoleet as always has up-to-date Linux builds. Yes, it’s super stable. I was almost persuaded to give it a go instead of Waveform and I still have it installed and play with it from time to time. I’m thinking I might buy it just the same although it wont be my preferred DAW.

Oh, onto you question. Reaper uses it’s own GUI toolkit (like most others including Waveform & Renoise) and I found a setting I can set in the ~/.config/REAPER/reaper.ini file. Add the following in:

ui_scale=1.2 // scales the sizes in libSwell.colortheme

Put it up the top in with the other UI stuff and you should be goo to go on next run. It should go in the [.swell] section of the config file.

Btw, change the number (I use 1.2) to whatever works for you.

Just a forewarning, We are probably taking it too far discussing Reaper config changes in the Renoise forums. Maybe KVR would be a better place for this… Just sayin’. We’re both gonna end up in hot water here so I wont help you with this type of thing in this forum from here on. I don’t wanna get kicked. :slight_smile: I hope you understand.

Cheers,

Gav

Awesome, thanks!!! Looks much better !! I set it to 1.1. No prob…I’ll go to KVR then… I really wonder how it’s possible to pack so much into a 8MB program.

I’ll see you over at KVR then from time to time. :slight_smile:

Hey, I know a bit about software development and yet still, the compactness of their code is next level sort of stuff. Very impressive!

We can probably still talk more general terms here, just not on tech support stuff, I guess. (Waiting to get yelled at for saying that)