[3.0] Pitch bend sample based instruments

Somebody on the Renoise FB group was inquiring as to being able to pitch bend sample based instruments with R3 (I presumed they meant having a parameter assignable to an external controller or automation), so I made a crappy little video tutorial:

Cool, thanks for making this. Was this possible in 2.8? I never really did much stuff with modulation, and only ever used the pitch effect commands.

Updated the tutorial with a voice walkthrough of what I’m doing. Nope… sample based instruments couldn’t have pitch tweaked outside the instrument itself previously. Macros are totally new.

Not that smooth, [url="New Tool (2.8): Pitch Device Automator]but it was possible…

[/url]

very smart technique and funny video :)

Looks like you would prefer tabs instead of the accordion as it will save you clicks.

“Saving clicks”? Ha! :lol:

huh? :unsure:

There’s nothing to be ashamed of playing the accordion, i own two myself.

Hahaha

Garf, when it comes to optimizing interface design, reducing the number of required clicks only really makes sense in areas that are accessed sufficiently that reducing the number of clicks will result in sufficient time saved. If all you’re shaving off of user experience is half a second per hour of usage, for instance, it’s not worth it. If you’re shaving off 5 minutes per hour of usage, it’s probably worth it. If you’re shaving off 30 minutes per hour of usage, it’s definitely worth it.

I really doubt the kind of interface tweak you’re proposing is going to make a huge difference to anyone, as I doubt many people will be spending a large percentage of their time looking at the modulation panels.

it pisses me off

It’s been a kind reply with an understandable explanation, I thought it was a kind reply from Bytesmasher to yours, don’t feel be angry about stuff like this.

Thank you Bytesmasher for this fun way giving an insight on even more than the pitchbend, it was great for me to discover this through your vid!

Man I just learned a lot. Thanks!

Searching for help on pitch bend i dug out this old topic! Never knew this was possible!

Is there a way for me to get this “Pitch Operand” modulation to respond to standard “Pitch Bend” commands coming from a midi keyboard?

sh

Searching for help on pitch bend i dug out this old topic! Never knew this was possible!

Is there a way for me to get this “Pitch Operand” modulation to respond to standard “Pitch Bend” commands coming from a midi keyboard?

sh

Yes. Just assign the operand to the pitch wheel macro.

Yes. Just assign the operand to the pitch wheel macro.

haha - i think i need a bit more guidance - i tried creating an instrument macro that controls the operand… but can’t figure out how to map that macro to the pitch wheel - is there an option i’m missing?

1 Like

haha - i think i need a bit more guidance - i tried creating an instrument macro that controls the operand… but can’t figure out how to map that macro to the pitch wheel - is there an option i’m missing?

There’s a special macro meant for pitchbends:

There’s a special macro meant for pitchbends:

thank you! but wow now i really feel like i’m going nuts… i don’t seem to have that pitchbend control on my instrument panel - do i need to do something to make it appear?

Edit: Just realized I think this is a new feature in 3.1beta (I’m still running 3.0). Thanks for your help!