432 vs 440 Hz - wild conspiracy theory or truth?

Equal temperament has been around for some centuries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_temperament

it’s almost imposible to get chords to sound consonant over the complete frequency range. Also how would you make chords sound dissonant, to create anxiety and fear in your harmonies?

This points us at, “all listen to divine chords all day and watch women get horny over 32hz frequencies!”

I think people will become quite indifferent soon.

Shit didn’t work. I tuned and tuned and didn’t get high at all.

513.737473681 actually

…and about that experiment on youtube… what about the exact precise size of that sheet on which the powder (flour? sugar?) is placed? and what about the (average) size of each grain in that powder? and the distance between the speaker and the other components? etc etc?

not (yet) convinced… :confused:

Forget frequencies! The real problem here is music made on instruments from GM wood. If you listen to GMO made sounds it might alter your genes and cause your children to become autistic! Do you really want GM sounds reverberate through your DNA!? BAN GM MUSIC TODAY!

I would like to bring in some important aspects into this discussion.

My personal opinion: pitch shifting all notes down by 8Hz (which yields A to 432 Hertz) is … esotheric. It is only pitch shifting.
BUT nevertheless there are some pretty convincing comparisons/examples around about this …

The problem in my eyes is… “A432” is often confused and/or mixed with switching between pythagorean and equi-tempered scale. And this is really doing the magic.

People are talking about A 432 but i think often they are really having pythagorean in mind.
Here is some technical article including sound examples http://www.audiosite.org/sound-theory1.html

I think it would be awesome to be able to do our own scale based pitching adjustments inside renoise, and i’m not only talking about global tuning but really be able to change the scale.
For pythagorean, the settings for C key would be these:

Currently there is a LUA plugin (http://www.renoise.com/tools/scl-to-xrni) for renoise which can do all kinds of scale modifications (scl import) to samples,
however there seems NO possibility for finetuning or scale modification when working with VST/AU plugins. :frowning:

If you think this is interresting I would recommend that you should check this film!

I linked to the segment about 432Hz, but watch the whole film and series. -However alot of the info given here is way beyond a normal minds (like mine) ability to comprehend, but the interview with Eric Dollard is fascinating to say the least.

I can tell by the narrowmindedness by most of the posts here, that this topic is just regarded as nonsence. It isn’t!
If you’ve got an “open” mind, I bet you’ll find this series very educational, and it might even have a significant impact on your life.

Namaste.

well, if it makes makes you feel free and inspired then i guess it’s real enough! what’s the diff 432, buddy rich, pictures of beyonce, whatever gets ya off and makes ya do a tune in the old sequencer.

From: https://ask.audio/articles/music-theory-432-hz-tuning-separating-fact-from-fiction

“The Schumann resonance is a set of electromagnetic oscillations that originate from earth. One of them currently resonates at an average of 7.83Hz and not 8 Hz. which if multiplied by 55 gives us an A=430.65 Hz. Close, but no cigar.”

From now on, I’m tuning to 430.65. No kidding.

There’s also another parameter to consider.

Tune and mix according to human hearing critical band’s center bandwidth frequencies. It might, or might not, have impact to the psychological effect produced by music, if the frequencies percieved are in the lower, middle, or top range of each critical band.

So by that theory, an absolute tuning makes no big difference by itself alone, but rather also the musical key and melodic and mixing choices stimulating the critical bands in different ways.

But interesting shit, though in modern times isn’t it like, you would no longer lock into earth harmonic frequencies, but rather the wifi banging and ac frequencies to try to have certain effects on the listener? Maybe ac hum should be retuned because it makes us uneasy (a theory that already exists…)?

I tune my guitars to florescent lights.

It does not matter at all!! Stop it :wacko: Btw. you could simply slightly set down the sample rate your render in a sample editor and then resample to 44,1/48/whatever.

Before standardization on 440Hz, many countries and organizations followed the French standard since the 1860s of 435Hz, which had also been the Austrian government’s 1885 recommendation.[1]Johann Heinrich Scheibler recommended A440 as a standard in 1834 after inventing the “tonometer” to measure pitch,[2] and it was approved by the German Natural History Society the same year.[3]

The American music industry reached an informal standard of 440Hz in 1926, and some began using it in instrument manufacturing.

In 1936 the American Standards Association recommended that the A above middle C be tuned to 440Hz.[4] This standard was taken up by the International Organization for Standardization in 1955 (reaffirmed by them in 1975) as ISO 16.[5]

It is designated A4 in scientific pitch notation because it occurs in the octave that starts with the fourth C key on a standard 88-key piano keyboard. On MIDI, it is note 69.

A440 is widely used as concert pitch in the United Kingdom[6] and the United States.[7] In continental Europe the frequency of A4 commonly varies between 440Hz and 444Hz.[6] In the period instrument movement, a consensus has arisen around a modern baroque pitch of 415Hz (with 440Hz corresponding to A♯), baroque for some special church music (Chorton pitch) at 466Hz (with 440Hz corresponding to A♭), and classical pitch at 430Hz.[8]

A440 is often used as a tuning reference in just intonation regardless of the fundamental note or key.

I think the a4 tuning hype might come from…playing recordings a little slower to retune them…playing something slower will always make it sound a bit more relaxed and deeper…stimulation of critical bands is shifted a bit lower, mixing rebased, the hearing in mind will relax when adapting to the different hearing filter match…

I suppose if you tune down a bit the songs might stick out a bit more in peoples memory as something different sounding. There were a few guitarists who used to tune down a semtitone on every string ( like nirvana did that a bit i think ).

If you take 440 and divide by 16 you get 27.5Hz, but if you take 432 and divide by 16 you get 27.

Those will be the lowest possible A notes because 20hz is supposedly the lowest possible frequency that can be heard by human ears.

432 gets you closer by 0.5hz.

This is just a guess but probably the E in that octave ( below the A ) is the lowest hearable note.

be careful with frequencies

7 Hz is the resonante frequency of a chicken’s skull cavity

you can make them die

please keep that in mind each time you play with sub frequencies

avoid 7 Hz to save chickens

Sounds good

– I’d like to take a scientific approach to sonic qualities for altering reality, but then it’s not really ’music’ as such any more. We use the same numerology in our rhythmic patterns and cycles as in the geometrical designs. When recording “Inversum” we used the 432 Hz tuning

http://www.bardomethodology.com/articles/2017/05/24/dark-buddha-rising-interview/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D8nZKafuRA

I find it strange nobody explored the sub 1Hz frequency range so far. Like the earth rotating with0,000011574 Hz. If you would add THAT to your song…

It would be cool to slow down the inaudible high freqency squeaking of bats and turn it into a lead instrument

It says 432Hz is the same frequency as the water, solar system, life…
So how exactly did they come to this conclusion?

I find it strange nobody explored the sub 1Hz frequency range so far. Like the earth rotating with 0,000011574 Hz. If you would add THAT to your song…

There’s no point in adding sub 1Hz in music, because the speakers and amplifiers aren’t designed to reproduce these frequencies. 0,000011574 is so slow that it would take a very long song (almost exactly 24 hours) to cover 1 cycle.

It says 432Hz is the same frequency as the water, solar system, life…
So how exactly did they come to this conclusion?

I believe it stems from this: Pythagorean Tuning

Taking some mathematically pleasing properties of The Golden Ratio and applying it to music, resulting in tuned harmonics that are more ‘pure’ and balanced… I guess? :slight_smile:

Part maths, part musical theory, and a healthy dose of wibbly-wobbly new age stuff, haha.