I love Mega Man.
1. Make a song that bears the old and nostalgic feeling of a simple 8-bit Mega Man song (NES Mega Man 1 to 6, with a twist). If you’re clueless: CLICK!
2. Use only the samples from the provided xrns pack (2.5 ->), CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE SAMPLEPACK! (the samplepack is actually a short demo loop, delete the demo song and start your own track from scratch).
3. Do not edit the samples in any way (the only editing you can do is through the pattern and instrument editor, keep the samples in their original form. Also, no sample duplication or copying).
4. List of the allowed fx (Renoise DSP only and you can use only one of each fx ONCE in one channel):
- EQ 5/10
- Mixer EQ
Do not put anything in the master channel or change the setting on the maximizer there is now!
5. You have 5 channels to work with, no more no less (the original NES music is only 4 channels worth of data, but I thought to give this one a little spin).
6. Your own original unreleased work (means no covers or remixes).
7. Upload and submit a link to your entry (.xrns) to me as a private message, this is because I’d like to throw all the entries out at the same time - anonymously!
8. Compo deadline: 15th of September. (won’t bother to set up an exact time, I’ll be the judge whether you’re late or not. Safe to say I’ll most probably accept entries on 16th of September or so).
9. Public voting will take place after the deadline. All entries will be presented anonymously.
10. Give your song a Mega Man’esque title! Examples: Wood Man, Dr Wily Stage 2, Boss Theme, Flame Man etc. you’ll catch the point.
11. Co-ops and multiple entries allowed. There are no limits here really. Just remember to name every tune you pull out of your Mega Buster. And if possible, maintain your anonymosity until the results are in.
12. Song length can be anything from 5 seconds to 5 minutes.
13. All sort of Renoise commands are allowed.
13. Music style: Chiptune Hard Rock/Ballad/Jpop? Who cares, it’s Mega Man.
In the very end I’ll be the judge whether your tune is way beyond the Mega Man point of view or not, although I’m not planning to be awfully selective here.
If people think the deadline needs to be pushed further away, please let me know. Would be fun to get some entries in after all!
Q: Too few chip samples to work with, the original Mega Man uses tons of different kinda chip sounds!
A: Yes, the sample pack is sort of limited. There’s a hidden reason for it to be that way.
Q: What’s with all those allowed fx, it’s not Mega Man if you use those!
A: True, the outcome won’t sound like true Mega Man if you use some of the fx that are allowed in this compo. But I wanted this compo to have a twist (like if using Renoise to make Mega Man music wasn’t twisty enough).
Q: Why should I bother with this compo?
A: You love Mega Man so much you want to enter this compo.
Q: What/who is Mega Man?
A: You’re officially banned from my network from now on.
Winner gets an envelope filled with poorly selected random item(s).
…am I the only one around here who loves Mega Man, especially for the music?