A bit of sound design with Renoise

Hi all! This is my first post on forum.

I am an amateur sound designer from Moscow.

As well I am a professional DevOps Engineer and sounds is just my hobby.
I was familiar with old trackers (Scream, Fast and Impulse) so Renoise fits me comepletely.

This thing I made then tested a licensed Renoise 3.2.2 (have using a sample from distribution pack).

Used soft:
Renoise 3.2.2
Slate Digital FG-MU multiband compressor
Infected Mushroom Wider

I hope you will enjoy it.

3 Likes

hi mate,
first of all - welcome to the forum!
i think this track is too wide, there is no bass you should do ā€˜mono checkā€™ occasionally by putting stereo expander, and sliding stereo width all to the left. (at the end of the master chain)
i think the issue is caused by infected mushroom wider (name implies that it does stereo widening :D)

Other than that, itā€™s not bad at all.
Cheers from the DevOps also:)

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

I think it is not wider itself, Iā€™m just overfocused on groove and forgot (in some kind) about good sound disposition.

But your advice to do a ā€œmono checkā€ is very important for me. I have heard about it but never use (and completely forgot about that method).

That is a problem for me to mixing sounds for bad acoustic (Iā€™m using an ordinary LCD TV panel speakers as sound monitor). I canā€™t find a ā€œsilver bulletā€ to make sound that will be good both for headphones and speakers. So Iā€™m trying to compensate an insipid speakers sound with fat compression and widening.

But Iā€™m trying to improve my experience with every new composition :smiley:

1 Like

iā€™m mixing 99% on headphones, so i do not have exact issue, but i can totally understand your situation. I couldnā€™t even mix on TV speakers even if you point a gun to my faceā€¦ Cheers!

1 Like