A D S R as an effect

so I have spitfire discover the free bbc thing but it doesn’t have attack and release
is there a vst that can do this or is there a way in renoise cheers

This? https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Sampler_Modulation#AHDSR

nope as that is the sampler and works with samples I would love to use the sampler effect on vsts

Render plugin to instrument ie vst to samples? Choose auto crossfading to make your life easy… if you know you want to use adsr envelope

1 Like

You could probably fake it with a doofer using some combination of gain automation and a key tracker or something. Default gain at zero, ramp up on key press, ramp down on note off. That would give you attack and release.

If I have some time later I’ll see if I can hack something together, or if that’s even possible, since that seems useful to have.

Yeah, nope, that was a terrible idea for all kinds of reasons. I’m at a loss.

@2_daze_j had the right idea, of course.

1 Like

render plugin to instrument takes ages and takes away some quality though but thank you

It shouldn’t take, “ages.” What is your computer spec, if you don’t mind my asking? Perhaps you have some settings that are slowing the process down?

Also should not cause quality issues. – I apparently have an account @ spitfire audio. I am guessing, that @ some point I must have signed up to acquire this as a free download. Oddly enough, I forgot about it, and never installed it, and now I have forgotten my Spitfire password… and their website, for whatever reasons, is just not sending out the password reset emails…

Look at the settings I like for the plugin grabber. I usually use a longer audio grab than the default, auto crossfade, 32 bit float… full 9 octaves of samples - C-0 to B-9

I must go out to for some things. When I return home later tonight, I will try to see if I have the password reset link for spitfire, access to this download, and possibly figure out 1. why it takes ages to sample it (plugin grab) 2. what could be causing loss in qualityplugin grabber

There is no reason for loss in quality… this is basically the same rendering process, as rendering a song to disk.

Edit - open image in new tab, to clearly see plugin grab settings

ill try again yeah its the free thing , u want maximum quality and sometimes like when i try copying pianos they sound loud and hard , any tips on rendering pianos ? and strings then @2_daze_j. ps… my laptop is i5 7th gen 2.5ghz 16gb of ram two hard drives

If your hard disk rpm is 5400 that could be the culprit. but it doesn’t matter… you have more than enough power for music production.

I don’t know what is going on with Spitfire’s website, it has failed numerous times to send me a password reset link, and it confirms that my email address is a registered account. It would take 14 days, for a new email to have access to this particular download for free, and I can’t afford to pay $49 just to check out the vst, because I think it might help me generate a better answer to question… if I could check it out.

That being said… Have you thought about installing a calculator that converts hex to dec and dec to hex? I wish somebody had told me that when I started with Renoise… a calculator like that is very helpful…

Knowing, “7F = x, and, 5A = y, and 3B = n, and AF = h.” Where x = 127, y = 90, n = 59, and h = 175… is really important in Renoise.

As you can see, the default max volume in the plugin grabber is 7F or 127, which is very similar to your vintage synth, or vst software that is mimicking a vintage synth. I don’t have any vintage hardware synths, but I have tons of software where the dials go from zero to 127, and then we can therefore assume that throughout Renoise; in the plugin grabber, or pattern editor, the max velocity value is going to be 127

If you are rendering a synth @ max velocity that is one thing, but if you are rendering an orchestral vst of some sort, to the Renoise instrument, you might actually be gain staging, or overdriving the signal if you do so @ the max velocity. This could cause a loss in fidelity, and it could be why your piano hits are so hard and harsh.

When Rendering sample based instruments, it is best to use your ears to gage the velocity at which you should plugin grab - if you are going to grab. But it takes a little practice. To save time, I would suggest try rendering piano @ 5A or less… Then when you find the sweet spot, go with it…

but yeah, @ 7F you are overdriving it

i have ssd drives in my laptop

it more takes time because im pushing the lenghths up , thanks for the heads up about dex , i did try lowering the velocities but then some hits at different velocities were not registering im gonna try again today , because to be honest i love the options and effects in the sampler the lfo and adsr modulations options i love and wish i could have on vst, thanks for your help man

I do this kind of thing all the time. I find it a sport to take one-shot samples and turn them into convincing (enough) round robbins.

I have only limited success with the auto-loop function. The crossfade often doesn’t sound quite right to me. Even at the maximum loop length of 10000ms. So I either loop things manually or do the crossfading in an external editor. Time consuming, yes. But if you expect to use the instrument a lot it is worth it.

Edit: typo fix.

1 Like

im gonna try a piano today and then upload it , if some of you have the time could you do one or some strings these are the main two things id like in xrni i uploaded some files before in share xrni instruments but im gonna try again what u say cheers

i mean do one then tell me the options and it it sounds good maybe upload the xrni cheers

as u can see i done some here but the felt piano was soft anyway so it worked

If auto crossfading was machine learning it would rock…

It is “pretty good…” it is not, “an expert who is choosing the best loop points.”

But if it were machine learning… hmmm… it would rock

when u turn it down its not just the amplitude , when you hit the keys at a certain hardness it will go silent because you took some velocities out , so that really doesnt work when rendering pianos :slightly_frowning_face:

so i dont think 7f correlates to 127 because thats just the volume

it seems to change the layers and take off the loudest ones so when you play keys harder nothing is heard , not really a solution , and at 7f they sound horrible , could change witha filter but thats a soft piano then

I think you need shaperbox by cableguys. It has keytracking, lfos, automations etc.

thanks sarah but I ripped a couple ill use those I found a piano by detunized sfz that I had and I forgot I like I worry too much about perfect sounds im gonna go with what I have cheers