A Few Questions From A Previous Reason User

Hey everyone.

I have been using reason by itself to produce music for the past 6 months and have decided to get into renoise. Since I have been doing all of my sound design in reason so far, it seems like renoise will take some getting used to in order to do the things I used to in reason. Off the top of my head I wanted to write out a few questions that I cant seem to figure out through the youtube tutorials and if anyone could help me out that would be greate:

1. Which EQ do you generally use to put on individual samples? (in reason I generally use the m class parametric eq is there a comparable one here?)

2. How do I change the velocity of individual notes played (ex: a note from a synth ) to be quieter or louder than the previous instead of having them all the same velocity?

3. If I chop up a loop in recycle is there any way to get the slices (.rex) as individual samples in renoise or do I have to change them to wav files?

4. In reason I often try to create the “hass effect” to sterioize a sound by running the left channel of a sound through a delay device set to about 11 ms and the right channel bypassing the delay and going straight to the mixer, can this be done in renoise? Are there by chance other, better ways of turing sounds (synths and snare hits) into sterio???

If some people could clear these things up I think I should be on my way!!!

1. Eq5 or Eq10, or any of a million vst:s or au:s out there. If you just want to roll off bass or treble I often use just a filter3. Note that if you’re happy with your fx you can render the sample and remove the eq.
  2. You enter the wanted velocity in the velocity column next to the notes
  3. You’ll need a rex player, i think UVI workstation can do it for free on both osx and win although I’ve never tried it http://www.uvisoundsource.com/uvi-workstation/article_info.php/articles_id/8 . OR: chop it in renoise 2.7 and enjoy renoise as the awesomest sampler it is ;)
  4. Many ways:
    a) Play the sound in 2 channels, pan hard left and right and set track delay (in track dsp).
    B) Play the sound on two columns in one channel, click PAN to show pan column enter 00 for the left column and 80 for the right one, click DLY to show the delay column and give the right one a delay. (must be done for each note you enter though… but really flexible)
    c) Add two send tracks. And two sends on the track you want the effect on, one to each of the new sends. Make sure the first track has keep source and the second has mute source. In the first track set pan to 50 L, and in the second to 50 R (in track dsp). Add a delay device, Mute src, no left delay, no feed back. Key in the right delay as you wish…

enjoy

Thanks very much for your reply, I will give this all a try for sure! As for the whole Rex thing, I have been experimenting with chopping loops in renoise by going to the sample editor , highlighting the portion I want and then copying it to a new sample, which seems to serve the same basic purpose as recycle. Renoise definitlly seems amazing!!!

You will find it much easier in Renoise 2.7 as it has an automatic beat slicer which works like recycle. You will also want to combine this with dblues excellent slices to pattern tool New Tool (2.7 & 2.8): Slices To Pattern

There’s also another way to steroize a mono sound using Renoise’s EQ’s with inverted L/R channel settings. Try EQ 5 with the “Stereo Field” setting.

You probably already know this but you can rewire Reason to Renoise which is handled very well. You can sequence Reasons synths and automate them from within Renoise if you like or just route Reasons output to different mixer tracks in Renoise so you can process the sound in more ways.

Thanks. Yea I have been experimenting on the rewiring and its really cool. The only thing that has really been pissing me off is that I cant seem to find a way of getting my reason refills (containing wav files of drum hits) into the sample slots in renoise, when I select the refills on my desktop via the disk browser in renoise, it appears as though there is nothing inside the refills. Do you know of a way that this can be done?

can’t be done like that. there is a refill extractor program (Google it, you’ll find some broken links for sure but i was able to find it somewhere - think i lost it again as well, otherwise i’d give it to you) which will let you extract the wav-files from the refill. this works sometimes, and sometimes does not. trial and error, try it multiple times on any refill and one time it will work and another time it won’t. too bad, but as far as i know it’s the fastest solution there is.

the slower solution, which i used before i found out about the refill extractor, is to create a low bpm track in Reason, load a NN-XT sampler and fill it up (completely, like from C-0 to C-9 (or whatever the max is) with, for example, kickdrum samples from a refill. then, play them all, one beat at a time. so, you’ll have a pretty long track with a whole bunch of kickdrum samples (the slowness is to give the tail time to fade out properly, so they don’t cut off). export that one to wav.
now, you have the slow and the fast method.
slow: use Audacity or whatever to manually cut up the big sample into seperate kickdrums.
fast: use Sony Soundforge, setup transient detection (where it detects where a new sample starts), and export all ‘slices’ in one go from there.
as of Renoise 2.7, you can also use the Renoise Sample Slicer to do that, not sure if it has an export-all-slices-to-seperate-samples option though? can’t start Renoise from where i am now to check it out. (if not, this will probably be scripted in the foreseeable future)

anyway, i guess you catch the drift. either way, it’s a tedious undertaking, but, imo, well worth your time if you have good refills.

Cool, just got 2.7 Im going to have to try this beat slicer. I noticed that theres no longer that second little space in the area where you load samples into. Hot then do you pile samples on top of one another like this guy does at 1:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4yx6OJ9CE0

The design was changed in 2.7 a bit. You’ll find it under the Instrument Settings tab, as seen in this pic.

You could as well have posted this one:

Thanks alot everyone!