A Renoise song: Shifter

I’m new to Renoise, and still trying to learn the workflow, but thought I’d post this for feedback.

dl

http://soundcloud.com/user1489053/shifter

There are enough humanized elements in it, at least not as tight as people naturally track.
Did you recorded all your input?

I audio recorded a couple of the loops, and then used a bit of retriggering to make them tighter. I midi recorded several of the other tracks with quantize off, and then manually adjusted the timing. I was aiming for a somewhat loose feel, but I found the manual adjustment of timing a little trickier than I expected, probably from being less familiar with hex.

dl

Quite fun track! :)
It could use a little more punch in the mix, but i kinda like that it’s not super tight.
Don’t worry about the hex, it’s gonna get into your fingertips soon and you’ll realize that decimals are just not practical. :P

Well, at least this sounds like it wasn’t made in a tracker. Though, don’t make it sound too amature band-like, else people will say you have a long road to follow before you are there ;).

Well, always supposing that’s where I want to get to!

dl

Thanks, TB. I EQ’d the various tracks to give them each some space, but I guess I overdid it a bit. Not quite sure where I went wrong, but I’ll do better the next time (I hope!).

Actually, I love hex - just not used to translating it into beats and sub-beats. But then I never did that with decimals, either.

Cheers.

dl