A Sample View In Pattern Editor

If you have the option enabled for view continuous patterns so that you can actually see into the next pattern, then logically the waveform display should also continue, otherwise it would get cut off.

It’s not a deal breaker for me either. Lining up weird samples in the pattern is not such a big deal these days, thanks to the sample editor ruler which we can use as a guide, but I can still imagine this feature coming in handy.

Haha, yep! No confusion here, though - I’ve been using trackers since I was a kid, for about 23 years in total now (I’m 31 years old in April). I could never dream of making music any other way! :)

dblue - you rustled up exactly what I had in mind (but couldn’t be arsed to photoshop ;)).

Yeah, being a similarly oldschool tracker-crusty, I could live with or without the visual representation in the pattern view AS LONG AS I COULD HEAR THE DAMN AUDIO WITHOUT HAVING TO PLAY FROM THE START OF THE PATTERN!!!EGY£QUYR*()QUofdiausfu102394ruiol

[i die]

I guess it’s a long, long, long way off so I’d better just keep my frustration in check… Sorry for shouting!

does any one think the seperate pattern may start to become out dated? if we just got rid of it, i reckon things like this may get much easier…

We only really needed the pattern editor because there was no pattern matrix.

But if we got rid of it, and made the pattern matrix as the main view. This could then tie in quite well with the clips theory going round etc.

You could zoom in to the Box(the equivalent of a pattern)to get into the editor… bit like a midi clip in a horizontal sequencer… bit far fetched i know, and i have probably failed in getting what i mean across…

But if this were to happen, it would allow zoomable patterns much more sense to add in, allow long samples to make more sense, and play back from anywhere in the song, not at the beginning of a pattern etc…

i have a feeling this may be fail…

you made music when you were 8!?

no wonder your a Renoise God… :P

Well, it was around that age when a friend showed me a very early version of SoundTracker on his Amiga 500, and he played a few cheesy .MOD versions of 80’s pop songs and things like that, then I later got an Atari ST and started using NoiseTracker there. I didn’t really start experimenting with my own musical ideas until a few years later, at maybe 11 or 12, so before then it was just me as a kid making a lot of awful noises, haha. Before the Atari ST I had a Sinclair Spectrum which my parents got for me when I was around 4 or 5 years old, and I also had a cool text2speech add-on for it called Currah Speech, providing endless hours of fun making it say crude swear words and all the typical childish nonsense! So anyway, yeah, overall I’ve been fooling around with trackers and computer noises for pretty much my whole life. :)

this looks fascinating, but:

1. would turn the pattern into a complete mess :dribble: :rolleyes:

2. would require a recalculation of the waveform based on the pitch of the note (which could also be not an exact note because of pitch ramping)

3. for the mental health of the coder, it would not take in count the commands which modify the wave (almost every command does)

make more music ;)

I’m still of the opinion that seeing the single short waveforms in the pattern view is pretty much useless and messy.
I think audio tracks would be better implemented in the pattern matrix, so you can have an overview

I do, for one.

I think we need both. We all know the limitation that we’re trying to address, namely the inability to seek around in a track with a long audio sample without having that sample triggered first. Now, several solutions to this have been proposed, including automatically generating the correct 09xx values at the beginning of each pattern. That kind of solution would be nice, but it still doesn’t give you the ability to easily nudge an audio track though a simple intuitive drag with the mouse. Instead, we need to go back to the beginning of the sample and nudge it there, and then hope that our 09xx with 512 points of resolution is enough (and it generally isn’t with long samples).

Yes yes yes … we have Rewire - and that’s GREAT. I’ve been an advocate for Rewire for a long time as an alternative workaround for this problem, and I use other hosts as a slave to lay down long vocal or instrument tracks. The problem with this solution, however, is that you’re missing some important visual context. With the waveform visible in Renoise, I can see that a certain syllable in a vocal recording should match up with a given drumbeat, for example, because I actually see that data in Renoise.

I don’t understand why this is so controversial. For those that work with vocals or any other recording that spans multiple patterns or the song as a whole, it’s almost a necessity; ‘almost’ simply because workarounds exist.

If such a waveform view is an option that can be toggled, I don’t see how anyone can be opposed to it.

Could we add this entire thread to the brainstorming sticky?

I’ll say it again… this needs to happen. I really can’t comprehend how people can say this would be useless or unnecessary. I’ll probably never use the pattern matrix, but I understand its value to many of the users out there. If you you hate the idea of vertical audio tracks, just don’t use them! There’s no reason to rain on the parade of people who are just dying for this functionality.

Brendan

+111

I agree to a point. With audio tracks, reprocessing the waveform is not an issue, since there is a single root pitch which can be (presumably) only changed within the properties of the audio track itself. However, I don’t think the pattern matrix in its current form is the best place to show it. I think the pattern matrix should show an overview, but in order to have a high degree of control of the placement of the audio track, I think we need to be able to interact with it from within the pattern itself.

i don’t know if i really understood what you’re saying but if i did it looks to me that you better try other software because that change you mentioned is so huge that it’s like to convert a radical muslim in a friendly sissy catholic

i’m getting a little worried here when I see people discussing certain things like the verticality of the software

i really don’t see that point of that… another stupid example i’m going to give :D it’s like a brainstorming to change the color of coca-cola and taste so in the end it tastes like Fanta

WTF?

mate, i never said anything abt changing the tracker from being vertical! i would never be able to make anything in a “conventional” daw

however, arranging songs and using long samples (although improved in the latest update through the pattern matrix) still proves to be a bit flawed. Individual Patterns are evidently a very traditional part of trackers, but i really don’t think Renoise is a traditional tracker any more… yes its a tracker, but its so much more than that.

I think if you read through what i said more carefully maybe you will see i am not asking for such a drastic change… i’m not even asking for it, i’m suggesting it…

In short, i think separate patterns allow everything to be too loop based and to definitely divide each section into their own individual parts.Also i think it makes the zoomable pattern editor much harder to implement, by getting rid of it, we could open a few more boundaries

I want all the numbers flying abt at ridiculous speeds, but dividing it up into sections is making it a bit too FL Studio for me at the moment

Renoise, The Radical Muslim in Audio Production

:D

being a radical muslim ain’t exactly punk rock though… unless… haha! :blink:

I LOVE IT! This is exactly what I’ve been thinking of independently from this thread for a few weeks now. It would make it so much easier to visually identify sounds and improve Renoise in all sorts of ways. It could, as mentioned, be expanded to visually editing automation and such as well, which the way it works now feels a bit disconnected and unintuitive. Please do this! :)