Ableton Push and Renoise.

Hey all,

I’m shopping for a controller to trigger some patterns in renoise live and in real time.

I’ve stumbled across Ableton’s Push and that seems like one solution for my needs. Have any of you used this with Renoise before? I imagine that I would need Duplex to make it work the way I want. Anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks.

L.T.

IMO push is waste of money if you not using it with ableton, i would choose APC40 mk2 or launchpad mini + launchcontrol

Do you have the APC40? If so do you like it?

Yeah the launchpad is what I first thought of. I’m now looking for more options before commitingtoone.

Do you have the APC40? If so do you like it?

Nah i dont have it, but the layout looks very handy, a mixer with sliders and mute/solo buttons, launch butons and highlited knobs. i would love to have one B)

Nah i dont have it, but the layout looks very handy, a mixer with sliders and mute/solo buttons, launch butons and highlited knobs. i would love to have one B)

Agreed.

Well thanks for your suggestion. I’ll take a look into it.

A lot of these type of controllers are really fun to use with Renoise + Duplex, but the Push isn’t supported.

I’ve talked with promovicz, he has previously worked on this thing and even put his source codeon github.

It would be really great with proper support, but I would need someone around with access to the hardware and some time to spare for alpha testing. Can’t do this on my own…

I’m not really interested in the whole step sequencing/control loops live/live edm performance aspect of the push. What does really interest me a great deal about the push is the fact that you get a 64 key controller in like one square foot of desk space.

What does really interest me a great deal about the push is the fact that you get a 64 key controller in like one square foot of desk space.

I have an older Launchpad that I really like. It’s not properly MIDI compliant; drivers are needed. I got it right before the current Launchpad was released (hey, it was on sale). So, it does not play nice with my Ubuntu setup, but works fine on OSX and Windows.

If I were getting something today I would seriously consider the Launchpad mini. I have skinny fingers. $99 on Amazon. The larger Launchpad S is $170. The Ableton Push is much more expensive and if you’re not using Live then I’m unaware of any strong reason to get it.

If you want to have more controls than just buttons there are better alternatives for the money.

Well, I just bought the launch pad S. I was also looking at the Launchpad mini, but that is geared to work with the iPad, which I don’t own nor does Renoise run on the iPad.

For those who sequence live, do you also do a live performance? Meaning, you load full tracks into Renoise to play them. I’ve already found out that emulating a “warping” feature in renoiseso that I can sync tracks across multiple BPM’s is a no go. I went to beat sync, but full tracks 6 + minutes or longer, the beatsyncmaxes out at 512. The work around is that I would have to use the slice tool, and chop up the track into smaller chunks. There the beat sync can be set within range and transpose the tracks, but then you run into the problem of triggering (having to trigger the next note so that the different section of the track can play in succession) and then having to so how beat match the other tracks (since beat sync can’t be mapped to a midi slider. So I’m at a conundrum. The simple answer may be “Why not just use Ableton”. Well I could butif it’s possible to use Renoise I’d rather just figure it out.

Well, I just bought the launch pad S. I was also looking at the Launchpad mini, but that is geared to work with the iPad, which I don’t own nor does Renoise run on the iPad.

The Launchpad min works with standardcomputersas well.

Some info on assorted Novation controllers:http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan14/articles/novation-launchpad.htm

The Launchpad min works with standardcomputersas well.

Some info on assorted Novation controllers:http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan14/articles/novation-launchpad.htm

Cool beans. I have 30 days to return the launchpad S. I’ll play with it for a while and see.

Is the launchpad velocity sensitive? Does it “play” well as just a controller?

edit: This guy doesn’t seem to think it’s good for just playing stuff.

What I’m interested in is doing this:

Is the launchpad velocity sensitive? Does it “play” well as just a controller?

Yes, more or less. Technically it is touch sensitive, but I’ve found it very hard to get real, controlled, expressive range. I suppose with a lot practice one would get used to the touch. But, listening to the second video, I heard very littlevariationin note volume. It’s hard to get consistent sounds ranging from full volume to a whisper. (I think having a volume fader would go a low way in helping there) OTOH it’s a $160 device, not a Steinway, so if you have reasonableexpectationsyou should be OK.

Yeah I’m sure how good the push is at that either but i think part of the lack of variation in the video is just the lead patch being used. I don’t “need” something super sensitive or anything, just, not flat max velocity all the time.

Rudess makes it look good but honestly it’s hard to tell if the push is nice to play as just an instrument or not because Rudess is a god, he could demo a TI-83 and make it seem like a good controller.

Both controllers, the push and the launchpads, I definitely 100% would not want to buy without trying them out first.

Yeah I’m sure how good the push is at that either but i think part of the lack of variation in the video is just the lead patch being used. I don’t “need” something super sensitive or anything, just, not flat max velocity all the time.

Rudess makes it look good but honestly it’s hard to tell if the push is nice to play as just an instrument or not because Rudess is a god, he could demo a TI-83 and make it seem like a good controller.

Both controllers, the push and the launchpads, I definitely 100% would not want to buy without trying them out first.

Agreed. So far I’ve been seeing used Push controllers for sale for about $400, but still with what I want to do with it with Renoise (Organize and play full songs live instead of step sequencing), I may just stick with this launchpad biz.

Yes, more or less. Technically it is touch sensitive, but I’ve found it very hard to get real, controlled, expressive range.

There may be a really good reason it’s so hard: It’s not pressure sensitive. At least not the version I have.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec09/articles/novationlaunchpad.htm

Later versions might be. In any event, the info at that link matches up with my experience today writing some MIDI handling code for a Renoise tool. I’m only getting velocities of 127 or 0.

I’m curious about grid keyboards myself, but even as an Ableton user I can’t really stomach $600 for Push and ABSOLUTELY NO RETURNS if I decide I don’t like it because it comes bundled with a throw-away crippled piece-of-crap edition of Live 9. Give me a break.

Anyway, an alternative with pads and velocity (woo hoo) is Icon’s new iStage Mini controller ($100 USD at zZounds.com). I will definitely give it a shot once my available funds recover.