About latency device settings

What is the normal value of Renoise Latency?
I’m confused i don’t know it.
And, is the Sample rate 4800 correct?
Please help me!

There is no “normal” latency, but rather an “adequate” latency, depending on your machine.
Use a low latency, around 20ms and verify that the reproduction is fine. If it goes perfectly, you can try to go down even more. On the contrary, it increases the value. 20ms is fast enough for you not to notice delays when entering live notes. At lower value, more CPU usage.

This only affects the sound reproduction, not its recording. With 4800 is fine. If you increase the value, you may receive some more sound details, but the CPU usage will increase. Again, it depends on your machine. If you have a slow CPU, and your song is demanding, lower this value.

Try that Windows does not use too many resources in the background (unnecessary services), to compose music.

You can read more information in the online manual:
https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Preferences

Use the least amount of latency (like 3 ms or something less than 10). Use the lowest number you can before getting glitches and distortion. Use a sample rate of 44100 and not 48000. I would suggest.

You select rate and latency to meet your demands.

Higher rate means crisper sound. But higher rate also means more cpu load…

Latency means extra delay when you hit a controller until the sound is audible. If you just produce, then its normally no problem to have big delay, but for life playing or performance recording you will want very low latency. Longer latency also means less cpu load…

1 Like

Since we are commenting on these issues. For someone experienced to answer these three questions, please:

1. If the composer uses native instruments with samples, all of them sampled at 22,050Hz, does it have any auditory advantage to set this value to 44,100Hz or higher in the preferences?

2. What happens auditively if the composer uses native instruments with samples, all sampled at 48,000Hz or higher, and sets the value to 22,050Hz in the preferences?

3. If the composer uses native instruments with samples, all of them sampled at 22,050Hz (or VSTi with libraries of samples sampled at 22,050Hz), is it reasonable to render the song at 44,100Hz or higher?

regarding 1 and 2

well let’s say, when the samples are played back with a certain pitch, processed etc., then there are algorithms in the game that will provide more fidelity if they run and play back at a higher rate. Also I think the overall fidelity of the sound what you hear will be lower at rates such as 22050, you will have muffled and unprecise highs etc.

regarding 3

I render my songs at 192k and then convert the result into 44100 if that rate is wanted for the result. I feel it results in higher fidelity in the highs, especially audible with cymbals. All the resamplers and effects run at higher rate and thus provide more hi frequency precision and less aliasing. The higher the rate, the cleaner the sound.

Thank you for reply and the detailed explanation!
I will try it based on your description!

Thank you for reply and advice!
I will try it based on your advice!

1 Like

Thank you for the reply and the detailed explanation!
Your commentary on rate and latency was very good for me!

You don’t want to convert sample rates ever. Aliasing sounds nasty. Since the result will be at 44.1 kHz, it’s wise to use everything at this same sample rate. If you, say record at a higher resolution and then convert it, or even if you send it for mastering as is, letting the ME (mastering engineer) do the truncation to 44.1 kHz , this very last step will “ruin” everything and again, you’d be better off having started at 44.1 kHz from beginning to end. Also, one must consider the size of the files (bit depth) and the CPU needed (increases significantly with increasing sample rate).

Thank you for the accurate advice.
I start with 44.1 kHz from the beginning.
However, sometimes only 48kHz can be selected in Renoise. Why?
Did I make a mistake in the first devise setting?