About .sf2, .gig...

Hi everyone,

I’m interested by soundfonts (.sf2) and gigastudios (.gig), but only by the samples, not the format itself. I know some VSTIs can be use to handle them under Renoise, but I don’t like this way of composing…

What I usually do is extracting the WAVs from sf2 and gig, and load the samples I need in my song (some people think it’s a real pain composing like that ; but hey, I don’t care :)

My question is : do I lose some possibilities when doing that ? I mean, these formats must have some parameters to play with, they’re not just WAVs linked in a big file.

Which brings this question : Can I recover through Renoise what I lose while extracting the samples ? --> Can I get the same result with Renoise+effects+VST as Renoise+VSTi linked to sf2/gig ?

I hope you’ll understand what I mean.

Thanks !

Jnv.

you will basically loose these features:

• velocity based sample choice: the sampler which loads the multisample file will choose the correct sample to play acordingly with the velocity (in ReNoise: the volume) at which the sampled is played.
  • embedded envelopes/filters/effect: many sampler formats have internal DSP and envelopes which are not written into the WAV
  • direct to disk loading: some samplers can load samples directly from the HD, avoiding the RAM limitation

Here’s a crazy idea.

What if the rni format was spiced up a bit so that we could import gig
and akai instruments. That way we could use all the goodies of renoise
effects and at the same time profit from the gig and akai features.
Strange how noone thought about this before.
:rolleyes:

Hehe… just kidding, It-Alien.

Read: http://80.190.246.84/board/index…444cb64be88336d

can someone name some decent soundfont-player VSTis? are there any?

unless of course we could simply have .sf2 usage in renoise :D

(even if it meant we’d have to load a massive SF2 into a song, and save it - or would there be a way around this?)

can someone name some decent soundfont-player VSTis? are there any?

I tried the ones from ExperimentFour, and, well, they work fine enough for me…

However, does someone know where I could find nice GIG free player ?

you will basically loose these features:

• velocity based sample choice: the sampler which loads the multisample file will choose the correct sample to play acordingly with the velocity (in ReNoise: the volume) at which the sampled is played.
  • embedded envelopes/filters/effect: many sampler formats have internal DSP and envelopes which are not written into the WAV

Yes, but I can do the same by myself, no ? I can choose the right sample according to the velocity I want, and add my own filters through the Renoise’ VST…

Of course it costs me some time, but virtually, there’s nothing SF2 can do that I can’t by just using the WAVs+effects, right ?

Thanks,
Jnv.

hmm… let’s say this is true

hm…what kind of music makes such an extremly hughe soundbank necessary…?
I suppose classic, because it’ll be the only format where somebody would recognize the benefit from such a large sampled piano…

I don’t see why music must be classical to benefit from good sound quality?

let´s see…using a 731824094035 GB piano on a 08/15 dance track using approximately 3 or 2 accords. Zuo can reduce the sequence to 12 or 16 tones…so what to do with the rest of the piano sounds, still waiting to be played?

Perhaps Jazz might also benefit from that when it’s a slow jam…

But any music with strong beats and rythms, the avarage listener won’t recognize if you are using 1278372394092 GB real sampled steinway or a GM Expander running program 0, because there’s too less headroom for the piano.

Stereotyping music styles a bit, are we? :rolleyes:

err, might be so…