Acid - new Jc303

@BriocheBaps
I know, guys, I know, it’s not the equipment that makes the music but who uses it… But when you are in a condition in which you feel at ease, do things well, when you are in a condition wich you don’t feel comfortable with, you do things badly. when I was at home with my mother I had a desk, a chair, a normal workstation… now that I’m at home with my father I’m thrown into composing lying on the bed because I have no other place, this change alone sends me into tilt and I can no longer complete my projects… I’ll be strange ahahh… even more so: I have an Intel Celeron with 2 gigs of RAM, and 28 gigs of SSD, three quarters of which are eaten up by the operating system… it’s a computer that I gave to my grandmother to watch her grandchildren on Facebook, I’ve said it all… I had a MacBook Pro bought with a lot of effort, which abandoned me early (never Apple again) and now I’m raping this Windows. I’m not convinced that with a better computer I’ll be able to make better music…But I’m sure that with a more capable processor I can do more things, and being able to do more things I’m more at ease…and it’s feeling at ease, which will lead me to make better music… when I had a Macbook I did beautiful things… not because I had the apple on the computer, but because I felt at ease…

1 Like

I wish more people had this perspective, that music isn’t a job that has to be done quick and cheap or a boring grinding session. It’s supposed to be fun and sustainable. It’s subjective, different people have different tastes, there’s no right or wrong way to acid. Even the realization that throwing money away buying plugins is useless is part of the journey and subjective as well (If anything it’s a really important lesson about oneself, even tho one might wish to have had spent all that money on pizza afterwards this realization).

2 Likes

Yeah but opinions vary… I have heard much ‘bad’ acid… tasteless, not musical, no dynamics. The patterns they use at acidvoice (in previous post) are rather uninspiring. If it sounds bad it IS bad no matter the genre. Problem is many buy a DAW & immediately ‘identify’ as a musician. Music takes work to learn if it’s ‘easy’ then it may not be very good. I have seen many YT vids where they got loads of expensive equipment all over the place but showcase terrible music or tuts. The exception appears to be those using real instruments with some being VERY good on keyboard, guitar, bass as they are not enhancing anything with overdone FX. Plus these musicians usually have a good ‘ear’ that a great many DAW dabblers don’t…

About a year ago was a guy on KVR begging someone help him figure out tune ‘on acid’ I kept telling him it was simple lullaby with lots of FX. Finally I decided to blow an hour making an annotated video & to accent what I said I used AXS Tracker to pick out tune. At least he was grateful…

Thus lies the problem as many take basic stuff & apply tons of FX to attempt to make it musical when all it does is make it sound like a long soundFX. This is why I listen to 20+ year-old tracker modules as since the FX are minimal you had to push your tune through with some form of music not FX. Sure there was bad stuff then too but much better ratio then nowadays…

The strange thing is that there are so many YT channels teaching music yet nobody wants to learn. In my day you had to jam to 33s or 45s until they wore out using a bass that hummed with crappy cords & parents screaming to turn it down. Lessons or books were expensive & jamming with others was hit-miss as they were either better or worse than you & NEVER wanted to play what you liked…

I see alot of YT ‘genre’ videos lately like to attach ‘melodic’ in front… Melodic Techno which would be an oxymoron for sure and listening, well, no melody whatsoever just a title to make it sound more advanced so the concept of ‘genre’ appears to have no real meaning or function anymore…

2 Likes

@Iconoklast
You are right, opinions change, on everything, for everyone. Everyone has their own experiences, everyone makes their own choices, everyone has their own reasons and motivations or explanations… For example, I could tell you that despite the shocking amount of tutorials available, I follow very few… because I have followed so many before, understanding very little…you know, everyone has their own methods…So you listen to one guy and he shows you something, often making you believe that that is “the correct way”, then you listen to another guy and makes you see something else, often making you believe that his way is the correct way… You look at ten different people telling you ten different things, all trying to convince you of the same thing, that only they are right and everyone else they make mistakes… but if you observe things with your own eyes, you realize that all these people are successful… What does it mean? probably that they are all right ways… (or all wrong…) everyone has to find their own and the path never ends… surely there are musicians who are smarter than others and who therefore can afford to give advice, but even the best in the world has such a long way to go as if he had just started… I use so many techniques that according to many tutorials are devilries to be absolutely avoided, yet for me they work… maybe because even if that technique is really wrong, I compensate for it with another technique that they don’t use… So the wrong technique works for me, but it doesn’t with them… Just as there is a lot of “correct” advice that I don’t follow because I’ve found my own different methods … the paths of music are infinite…I say INFINITE…The real problem in my opinion is that almost all of us (even me) are so focused on the personal method, that it is very easy for the methods of others to seem stupid… but that doesn’t mean they are… as for flat, unmusical sequences etc… we all go through that. the difference is that before we showed ourselves to the public only when we were really ready… for a whole long series of different reasons. now you show yourself to the public even before you start making music… often people see your very first steps, your first very bad sequences and rightly think “hey, who the hell is this idiot?” … that idiot maybe in 10 years he will sell you his records. Let’s give people time to learn… :slight_smile:

The “secret” is to use your own brain. You can listen to what they have to say, and sometimes there’s even something useful, but you and your brain have to process the summary of all those informations logically and draw your own conclusions. Of course those music tutorial guys on YouTube aren’t successful. If they were successful, they wouldn’t create YouTube content. Instead they’re rather trying to become successful or at least a little popular through YouTube. “Leave a like, subscribe and hit the bell”, and “maybe also support my patreon”, because there’s lots of secret knowledge just for paying supporters. You know what I’m talking about.

You surely mean more experienced than others. But even then there’s no guarantee that those people don’t talk shit. Once I’ve seen a producer talking about mixing, and he really gave advice to not mix in mono because “you don’t listen to music in mono”. I say this dude has no clou what he’s talking about, regardless if he’s a professional or not. Therefore you always have to use your own brain! Grab informations that make sense and ignore all the rest. I’ve seen and read a lot about that topic, but I just found very little useful informations that also make sense. 99% of all those videos are unnecessary and contain primarily bla bla.

That’s not the problem. Everyone is willing to improve, if possible. Even if you’ve found your personal method that totally works for you, there’s always still room for improvement. For example, personally I think that I know how to mix properly, but I added mid/side processing to my mixing stuff because of the informations that I got from the Renoise forum. It’s a really subtle thing, but a subtle improvement is still an improvement, even if you can’t hear a difference on most audio systems. You always have to be open minded but critical at the same time. Always use your brain, never follow blindly.

2 Likes

This thread became very philosophical and full of wisdom. Thanks all.

1 Like

I totally agree, even though the people I was referring to are really successful and really capable of doing their job, their problem is just the way they approach the public… with arrogance as if only they know make music, when in reality what they are doing is just showing you their methods, nothing more, nothing less… In fact the few I follow are those very calm guys who simply say “hey, I work like this, I like working so, you do as you want”, and they are also self-deprecating because they listen to their mixes exclaiming “what rubbish I did…” and if you then go and see, they have mixes that climb the charts… the exact opposite of those to which you are referring, who say “do as i say”, and then if you go and see their mixes, they don’t even exist in the charts… Then it is obvious that no one spins for free, even the most honest ones do it for profit, but the The important thing is that they do what they do honestly, without making fun. By now I know how to manage the tutorials, I know what to take and what to discard… but at the beginning I was quite confused by the many discordant voices, all this to respond to the fact that young people would also like to learn, but there is so much chaos out there that it’s less simple than it seems, we went from the absence of information in which you had to spend years learning four things… to an intermediate phase in which it was actually easier to learn (I started from here), the information wasn’t much but they were found, and since there weren’t many you had no way to get confused, you learned that thing there and then continued to experiment on your own, plus there wasn’t the tendency to make money with music, so whoever put information online, most likely he put sensible information… now we have questionable information too often because people just need to attract attention and bounce followers from one social network to another to create traffic… so forget this stereotype according to which things are easier, in some ways they are, yes, but then you literally get lost in a sea of ​​information which is the exact equivalent of not even having any… especially when you get into “pro” topics… it’s easy to learn anything that leaves you in the “noob” circle. I’m grateful that I managed to learn half of the things I know, before all this chaos arrived… otherwise I would be even further behind.

(Yes, I meant “more experienced”… it’s the translation bugs.)

1 Like