Acid - new Jc303

To all acid fans, this new emulation of 303 has been released. Nothing miraculous, the more experienced can get a better sound without leaving the native use of Renoise, but for those looking for the acid sound and who haven’t figured it out yet how to build it, it is undoubtedly a nice toy… It’s free, it does its job with dignity. There is also the possibility of automating something internally to the vst, by lifting the Mod On lever and playing with the knobs that regulate the different automations… The only negative criticism, the Decay knob doesn’t seem to work, I tried playing with it for a good ten minutes but it doesn’t seem to alter any Decay at all regardless of all the other settings I don’t know if it’s a bug or what else… If anyone can make it work then please let me know, thank you.

Edit: Decay works, definitely, always, with modulation on or off… I was the one who struggled to hear it because it produces a very small change compared to what I usually use, but now I really felt it.

https://midilab.co/jc303/

4 Likes

Nice!

https://imgur.com/hLeLqfY.png

1 Like

Sounds quite good!

The decay knob works, but it’s quite subtle.

1 Like

I swear I can’t hear any changes in the decay, but I trust you! Evidently I am used to FL’s Transistor Bass which has a wider decay, or to my reconstructions in which I rightly manage the decay as I prefer. Great track anyway!

1 Like

I double check. Maybe I’m wrong :joy:

It is quite subtle as @lilith mentioned, but give this quick demo song a try:

dblue-2024-03-24-jc303-demo.xrns (40.0 KB)

2 Likes

So this is actually the GUI-Less Open303 with a paint job?

I would also suggest the TB4005 which I like a bit better-

It even has chord functions…

But there are many that can make 303 sounds the issue is having the integrated sequencer for slides, accents, ties & what-not. There is a reason why many go to the trouble of integrating one as the synth portion is rather simple…

I have been experimenting using 303 sound in a jazz-rock or fusion enviro rather than an acid techno doohickey…

Protrekkr retains the dual 303s from Noisetrekker 2 which works for me… In this WIP I use both 303s, one for riffing & the other dedicated bassline. At chorus I tie many notes together to create a ‘wavy’ bassline-

Another good one here-

One can always use Rebirth in rewire mode, Here they compare many & Rebirth still only 1.1 points from matching the best which is awesome for being oldest-

For a fun-capable piano-roll version MROC MSynth is quite nice as the piano roll mimics the step-sequencer in rebirth-

Met the Dev on here a few years back, pretty cool individual… HIGH MARKS!!

I have an overview on MSynth-

https://warmplace.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6786

2 Likes

You can recreate the accents, the slides… Maybe not in a perfectly faithful way, but something similar comes out. Sometimes instead of a real accent that opens the filter I play with the volume in the column, so in reality I create a velocity, but it gives more or less the same effect as the accents (and moreover you can create an automation on the filter when needed to make it more realistic)…for the slides it’s enough not to put the notes together and not to use Note Off, it’s not exactly the same thing but it certainly makes you take the sequence home… I’ve never used Venom just because it’s 32bit, every day that passes 32bit goes towards extinction, I don’t know how much sense there is in still having plugins from 15 years ago and abandoned, with all the more recent alternatives… however, Jc303 gives you the opportunity to slide via its internal automations, so literally you just need to play with the positions in the sequencer and the slides automation…

Yeah, I fake it too using automation, but it’s not even close to the same as an internal sequencer that accesses gating functions directly. Like even old Reason had Matrix that could hook into gating & MIDI cc’s in ANY device so could act just like Rebirth…

Might be a good request for you all to have renoise devs put the original Arguru dual 303s BACK into renoise. Never understood why they took them out in the first place as Arguru releasing open-source proved he did not steal rebirth code…

As far as 32 vs 64 I don’t see the point… I use mostly 32bit as I have a billion plugs already in 32bit, many as good sounding as modern. ImpOSCar from 2004 sounds just as good as current 2024 ImpOSCar…

Plus with whole ‘legacy’ collections being handed out free no better time to stick with 32bit. I have not seen 64bit turn anyone into a Hans Zimmer so it sure isn’t helping as far as musicianship… In some cases sound is better but if you are rendering out then converting to MP3 that someone is listening to on chinsey speakers (or just ONE) or Dollar General earbuds then no advantage will be heard, Might as well be pecking out tunes on old Impulse Tracker…

Another real good OLD 303 candidate is Ultrano Dreamer’s Musashi Synth… It has sequencer like it should plus 3 OSCs & much filter function can also import rebirth RBS files…

Very much patterned after the then sensation REASON… But not near as good but it can use VSTi-VST and make refills for it…

It’s free I started a thread some time ago-

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=603954

BTW, I don’t know why so many choose to ‘bridge’ 32bit plugs makes no sense. Simply install the 32bit version of the DAW & you are good to go. If they don’t have current 32bit available then use last known available… simple-simple…

@Iconoklast
The motivation is very simple, as you have everything in 32bit and don’t feel the need to move to 64, there are people who now have everything in 64 and it doesn’t make much sense to go back to 32 for just a small part of all the things you do… So I’m saying that 32 bit doesn’t make sense to me personally… not that it doesn’t make sense in general, I know there are people who still make music with 80’s instruments… So everything It makes sense, as long as you’re comfortable with it…

Dreamer 1.5 hasn’t received updates since 2004 and there are no versions on Win10/11… I haven’t owned XP for 10 years now, otherwise I might even think about use it, but technically it’s not possible.

Ok, yes, I can feel something… I was used to feeling more evident changes, thanks for solving my doubt!

Acid-V is excellent btw, modded out, sub oscillator, tons of distortion options.

1 Like

@Jek
I know and I want it, even Rebirth, but honestly I’ve had to buy a new computer and I don’t have the money to do it, so for me it makes no sense to buy plugins if I don’t buy a computer before… and here I am experimenting with everything what exists for free… and consequently each of my posts will be aimed more at penniless users who are looking for economical or better yet free solutions… It is obvious (not always but in 90% of cases) that by paying you get something more…

nod, it is expensive. pre-existing arturia customers were offered a deal at release, got it for 49 usd which is a good deal for a multi-instance ‘modded-out’ 303… but yea, full price is pretty meh.

1 Like

@Jek
It’s probably better to buy a Behringer hardware emulation… :thinking: It costs less and you have the charm of the hardware… Except that the distortion circuit and other additions present in various VSTs are missing…

1 Like

nod, hardware can be nice for show, i dig the multiple instances of the vst, current project im running three two playing similar notes with different sounds and one doing bass duties. that’d be around 800 bux0rs for beh’s.

1 Like

The point is that you need 64bit plugins for compatibility reasons if your OS ís 64bit. Sure, you can bridge old 32bit plugins, but that doesn’t mean that everything’s working as expected. Personally I use both 64bit and 32bit plugins. I’ve “upgraded” every plugin to 64bit if possible and I respectively Renoise bridged those that only exist in 32bit. It’s not about “those old plugins sound as good as modern ones”. Sure they do. But it’s the same with almost every other kind of software, right? With old software you could already do the same stuff than with modern software, but because of modern OS they don’t work anymore, you would need an old OS, too. It doesn’t make sense, but it is what it is, because companies want to make money endlessly, so they force their clients to buy their new shit and drop their old shit. Capitalism, you know?

When it comes to Acid I’m using Phoscyon 2 and I also got v1. If you only buy on Black Friday just like me, you don’t have to spend a lot. Imho it’s worth spending some money if you want some decent results.

2 Likes

I’m also familiar with Phoscyon, and in fact, I think I was actually referring to him when I talked about Rebirth above. I agree with you that it is worth spending on certain products, but you also need to evaluate when it is convenient and do it and when not… For example, I bought FL but I put it aside (uninstalled) because it is a bit too much heavy on my computer, I bought VCV Rack but I put it aside… and I want to avoid buying a truckload of plugins which then maybe eat up too many resources and I can’t use them decently due to CPU limits. The first expense I will have to make is the computer (when I can do it)… until then, any paid VST, I will only enjoy it on YouTube ahah

Don’t worry, it’s possible to create cool stuff on a limited system. 2 years ago I was still creating music on a computer that could only use 3 GB of RAM (even if 4GB was inside) due to limitations of a 32bit OS. My system was WinXP 32bit. You can create great music on a system like that, but as soon as you’re about to create bigger projects with A LOT of instruments in use, your computer may say no. That’s another point pro 64bit, because a 64bit system doesn’t have that kind of limitation. That’s why I switched to Win10 64bit just a couple of years ago. If you’ve got a shitty computer, try to use VST3 instead of VST2, because VST3 only affects CPU in the moment that it’s literally working, this way you can save CPU capacities. And in general, of course you only should buy stuff that you REALLY need! No need to get millions of synths, compressors or whatever. Grab your few favorites and literally ignore the rest. That way you’re not only saving money, you also learn to use your stuff properly, and of course you need less space and you’re keeping the overview.

2 Likes

Well, I’ve spent (wasted, probably) lots of money (I didn’t have) on my PC and on software, and my music has certainly not improved in line with money spent. I wish it had…

2 Likes