Adding 32Nd Notes In A 4 L/b Setup

Hi Folks,

I’m a new convert to renoise and am enjoying it so far.

I have a question so thought it would be a good starter in joining the forum.

If I have my lines/beat set to 4 (16th) is there a way I can add 32nd notes or do I have to have the L/B set to 8 from the start
in order to achieve this?

Thanks for your time!

First of all, are you aware that you can expand your song from 4 LPB to 8 LPB relatively easily in order to gain more resolution?

Using the Advanced Edit panel, you can set the selection to Whole Song, set the content mask to include everything, then use the Expand function found in the Cut/Copy/Paste section. Assuming that your patterns are not already at the maximum length, this should work quite nicely.

But if you absolutely do not want to use the expand function, then you can take advantage of the delay column instead.

See: http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Pattern_Editor#Columns

First, make the delay column visible. (Enable the [DLY] button in the Pattern Editor Control Panel)

Now expand your note columns to have a bit more room to work with. (Use the [+] button in the top/left corner of the track)

Program your first note with no delay. Then on the same pattern line but in a different note column, program the second note and give it a delay of 80 (exactly half a pattern line). This will create the effect of the second note playing inbetween pattern lines.

For example:
3155 delaycolumn.png

[quote=“dblue, post:2, topic:35820”]
First of all, are you aware that you can expand your song from 4 LPB to 8 LPB relatively easily in order to gain more resolution?

Using the Advanced Edit panel, you can set the selection to Whole Song, set the content mask to include everything, then use the Expand function found in the Cut/Copy/Paste section. Assuming that your patterns are not already at the maximum length, this should work quite nicely.

But if you absolutely do not want to use the expand function, then you can take advantage of the delay column instead.

See: http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Pattern_Editor#Columns

First, make the delay column visible. (Enable the [DLY] button in the Pattern Editor Control Panel)

Now expand your note columns to have a bit more room to work with. (Use the [+] button in the top/left corner of the track)

Program your first note with no delay. Then on the same pattern line but in a different note column, program the second note and give it a delay of 80 (exactly half a pattern line). This will create the effect of the second note playing inbetween pattern lines.

For example:
3155 delaycolumn.png

Excellent dblue you’re a star. Thank you very much for all the pointers. Going to go try them out now.

If you want the notes to be very short and staccato, which you may not be able to achieve with Note Off, you can use the Cut command in the Vol or Pan column. Cx to stop in X Ticks.

Ticks Per Line is in the Song Settings section and defaults at 12 with a range of 1-16. This mainly harks back to the old days of trackers but some effects still utilise them. For example you could have used D6 (assuming TPL=12) in Vol or Pan instead of 80 in the Delay column to give the same result in dblue’s example above.

If you break down dblue’s example you will see that each of your notes are actually overlapping half a line, which may be desirable, but if you wanted to have them as if they were in the same column and cutting each other use the Cx cut command ;)

Maybe this has been beaten to death, but I have a hard time balancing the control you get with high LPB with the navigation/editing efficiency of low LPB (even with the help of step size navigation…).

I suppose, this, audiotracks, and modular routing are the eternal renoise dilemmas…

You can also change the lpb mid-pattern, although this might get confusing to think about. I always just work at 8lpb - though I agree that it can be a pain to navigate sometimes.

edit: to change the lpb, use the effect command ZLxx where x is the number (for example ZL08)

Thanks guys for the added advice. I will try the cut command that kazakore mentioned too.

I did give the lpb change command a go before I came on here. Although it will be a handy tool to use in the future it was a bit mental for what I wanted at the time. Did like the effect though :)

I have a track with 4 LPB which I want to expand to 8 LPB. This works great, except of the line snyced delays. Is it normal that these have to be adjusted by hand?