Advanced Edit Note Mask

Advanced Edit : Note Mask
Allows advanced edit functions to be performed only on a specific range of notes.

• Range: The basic range of notes to select. The check box to the right is to disable the upper note value and select only a single note instead. Whatever is selected may be further modified by the options below.
  • XOR inverted range: This causes all notes that are NOT within range to be selected.
  • Ignore octave: Causes the selection to disregard octave. If the range was C-4 to D-4 then the selection would simply look for all C, C# and D notes. So if the pattern data contained notes spanning several different octaves, then the selection might contain: C-2, C#3, D-4, C-5, C#6, D-7, etc.
  • White keys: Include white (natural) keys in the selection.
  • Black keys: Include black (sharp/flat) keys in the selection.

Hopefully the image pretty much speaks for itself, but if not then I’ll gladly answer any questions.

Essentially this would cover situations like…

• I have a multi-sample drum instrument such as the kit909 included with Renoise. I want to take all D-4 clap notes - which I have recorded to different random note columns because I’m a silly person - and convert them to a different instrument number.
  • I’ve recorded an awesome melody with a piano instrument that has notes scattered over multiple note columns. I later decide that I want to take all notes played from C-0 to C-3, and change them from piano to a bass synth instrument instead.
  • I read an informative article on the internet and discover that the note F# is evil, therefore I must delete/replace all F# notes played by any instrument in my song.

:P

Edit:

I also wonder if similar masking features might come in handy for the velocity, panning and delay columns, to provide an even finer level of detail if someone should need it?

Good suggestion +1,

A logical step in advanced edit development!

(until we get the piano roll anyway [ducks])

smart and something I’ll use!

Of cause! I hope this will get attention and implemented.
+1

I of course second this idea, although it would be better to ditch the “one-note-only” checkbox and let the user set the lower and higher limit of the range to the same note in order to achieve this

Yeah, I was considering this myself. Could be kind of nice as a time-saver to change modes, but this is probably something that people aren’t going to use very often in the first place, so I don’t think a few extra moments of adjusting settings every once in a while is going to hurt here :)

Great suggestion! Though, what I also could use sometimes is a “set to note X”. Let’s say you want every C-4 in a track to be D#4. Could be especially handy when dealing with drum-instruments?

It’s already possibly to change the C-4 to a D#4 with advanced edit, via the transpose options in the Notes panel. For example, rather than using the [-1] or [+1] buttons, manually set the transpose value to 3 and then hit the Transpose button. Now the note jumps from C-4, (1) C#4, (2) D-4, (3) D#4. The only problem is how to single out only the C-4 note itself, so that’s where my idea comes in handy :)

Definitely - that’s one of the things I had in mind myself.

Yah, I know! That’s why I suggested it.

this is a cool suggestion. it does equate highlighting notes horizontally in a pianolol and then shifting them up and down, only it’s more powerful.

would be awesome for writing out arpeggios fast.

edit: i’m not a super fan of the black and white stuff though but i guess that might come in handy for those who have that layout firmly in their mind. (=

I reckon that some kind of filter in-between the range would be nice, but black and white key solution seems a bit half-assed. What would be the actual benefit, oher than random cases that would just luckily fit into filter discrimination?

How about range input as text. Like “c3c5” would produce two octave range, while “c3,c5” would be just c3 and c5, and “c3g3,g4c5” would produce similar range with a gap between g3 and g4. Arithmetic operations could be used, like “c4±12” would produce range of two octaves, from c3 to c5. Logical operators as words or symbols could be used to manipulate ranges, for example “c4±12,!a3f4” (or “NOTa3-f4”) would produce a range from c3 to c5 with gap between g3 and g4. Similarly the “#” symbol could be used to represent all black keys. This way “XOR#” would produce white keys. Linear execution would be good, for example "#(black keys)c3c5(in a range between c3 and c5)!a3f4(but exclude a3 to f4)", and comma would start a new phrase, as in example [i]“c3g3,g4c5”.

[/i]Adjacent note names would produce range. “#” after note name would mark note as sharp. Note name alone would ingore octave. Thus “c4c” would produce a range od two octaves. “c4>a” would produce range between c4 and a3, “c4<a” between c4 and a4. “ca” would produce a range between all c and a notes. And so on.

At least option for this should be preserved for power users, although I really think the concept is pretty easy to gasp even for unexperienced folks. Presets of filter sets would be nice.

It was just a quick idea really, just trying to get the ball rolling. :)

There are certainly many different ways to approach the problem of the note range selection.

Perhaps there could even be a popup window along these lines:

You could click+drag to quickly select entire ranges of keys at once, with some other options in there to manipulate the selection, invert, shift up/down, select all black/white keys ( :P ), select from a list of chords, etc., and also have a few preset buttons to store your selections for re-use later, etc.

This is where a PR excel. Sadly too many people think of PR as a painful way to add notes and compose with a mouse. While really it would be an awesome tool to do these kind of things. To quickly select notes. Mask notes by scales etc etc.

A-***kin’-men

+1

+1