Advise me for a pc keyboard

Try logitech keyboard or you can also try Dell, and after that maybe you can play msp online with msp usernames and passwords which require a good gaming keyboard. I have used these two and I pretty happy with their quality

1 Like

You want a mechanical keyboard with cherry mx switches ( different colours for tactile feedback )

Top of the line are filco keyboards, expensive but these last a lifetime .
https://www.keyboardco.com/category.asp?sr=filco+
These are heavy sturdy keyboards that will survive a nuclear blast attck , same goes for ducky one
I recommend filco majestouch 2
I’ve got a ducky one ,dkon 1608 which is also pretty damn good
Over usb it has n-key rollover , I can press all the keys at one
Good keyboards are worth the investment

Don’t go for these multicoloured keyboard from razer , trust etc… these are garbage are will fail on you
There’s a dedicated page over at reddit for mechanical keyboards enthousiasts . most diy …
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/

3 Likes

I have a HyperX Alloy FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, it’s TKL so without numpad, it fits my table and it’s really comfortable and probably the cheapest of the MX cherry keyboards out there.

Next time I’ll try a Ducky keyboard with Cherry MX Silent Red switches.

edit: is the numpad useful for Renoise, what do you use it for?
edit2: n-key rollover is a must

1 Like

I’ve got a Ducky myself, I buy one almost every time they release a new one in their Shine series because I’m an insane person.

2 Likes

Surely any keyboard would do.

I’m using a KUL ES-87 with MX-Brown switches.

It’s TKL and that may or may not be ideal for a Renoiser if they need the additional num pad.

I don’t so it’s perfect for me.

1 Like

In this link I talk about a topic very related to this thread:

I consider keyboards with RGB LEDs very useful for Renoise and other DAWs. Generally, I don’t give much importance to LED lighting on many devices. But yes on an alphanumeric keyboard with software of control. You can learn and remember most of the most important DAW commands. In Renoise, I recommend a mechanical keyboard with RGB LEDs (specifically Cherry MX Silent).

Beware of mechanical switches!!! The majority in the market are a scandal, very loud. Manufacturers want you to think that this is beautiful, modern, very gamer, and very pro. But it’s crap! The keyboards should not make much noise. Because it is very annoying.

Ah, do not pasting stickers!

1 Like

Out of my price range but it looks wonderful.I dont know about the lights though,my eyes tend to get tired very easily

I have this one ( not my video )
Great sturdy keyboard , no lights ( cherry mx red switches )

1 Like

If you like logitech https://www.logitechg.com/en-gb/products/gaming-keyboards.html :wink:

Just bought a Logitech K280e Pro recently which is really good and well built for the money. 16€

Screenshot_20200404-172922_Amazon Shopping

1 Like

What do u think about Razer BlackWidow? Is it good or expensive trash?

I want to make a keyboard specific for Renoise as the main program in mind…even if it just means using a clever color coded idea. woould anyone be interested in something like this. see https://www.amazon.com/4Keyboard-Renoise_keyboard_sticker-RENOISE-KEYBOARD-STICKER/dp/B004Q56J0K and https://logickeyboard.com/shop/ableton-live-mac-3578p.html and https://imgur.com/8JDkf1D from my post on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/renoise/comments/glsmvo/wonder_if_anyone_is_interested_in_designing/

Best keyboard imo is a regular Logitech Deluxe 250, i’ve had it for ages and it just feels right. Everytime i use another keyboard i miss my 250.

Personally I really dont understand the hype with the wired gaming keyboards for the following reasons

1. They are too loud. I dont care if its cherry red, silver or blue…it is so loud that it will keep the whole neighbourhood awake at night.

2. The pulsing lights are annoying. When you are tracking and looking at the screen and you leave the keyboard for a second, the light fades. When you start pressing keys again it brightens. This gets seriously annoying after a while and its effect is ‘i hate these lights’ after a while instead of what its supposed to be which is ‘these lights are awesome’.

3. the keyboard profile is too high and requires a wrist rest. When Im tracking I dont want to angle my hands upwards all the time. The flatter the keyboard the better.

4. They are not wireless. Once Im done tracking I cant pick it up and do internet searches from the armchair or sofa.

5. They are too wide. I work with a drumpad controller to the left, mouse and mousepad to the right. With the ultra wide gaming keyboards I must spread my arms further than I would like and it causes annoyance and discomfort after a few hours. Also you cant easily move it so you cant drag your midi controller to center to play two handed for a while.

6. They have a stupidly fat lead which prevents me from pushing the keyboard right up against my computer monitor or monitor stand.

7. The lead has multiple USB connections, it is irritating taking up space around my powered USB hub.

I really dont understand the hype.

This is why I choose Advent wireless multimedia keyboard. Compact and stylish with 2.4GHz wireless connection and USB nano receiver.

1. It is quiet with its scissor key mechanism and takes minimum effort to type quickly which is great when renaming many samples in the sample list.

2. its profile is flat. I have no need for a wrist rest and dont need to angle my hands upwards to type.

3. I can move it around wherever I want and it isnt too wide so I can put my drumpad and mousepad anywhere I want.

4. There is no insert key but I can simply reassign insert to ‘shift + enter’

5. It is so cheap it is easy to replace and I could buy five of them for the same price as one gaming keyboard…in that sense longer usage for the same price.

In the past there have been some haters who said they enter sample effect parameters with a numpad but I say the number row is better because you will be moving around with the arrow keys while entering numbers into the sample effect commands in the pattern editor, something you cannot do if you are using the numpad.

Those are my thoughts on keyboard reccomendations, cheapest is actually the best. It also has a nicer key press action than many of the more expensive flat profile, silent scissorkey mechanism keyboards.

The only thing it needs is larger arrow keys…maybe once people are getting into formula device and stuff they will need the numpad for programming stuff in lua. I dont know Im not that advanced with renoise yet…but the gaming keyboards actually pissed me off. I bought one and had to take it back for ‘store credit’ not even a real refund, but i got a solid state drive instead. Id say just save the money and go for an advent wireless keyboard (but make sure it has an alt key and remap insert to shift + enter).

To each their own I’m sure - but finding the perfect keyboard for your taste is a great thing.

1. Linears are fine but clickys are definitely too noisy, hard to believe anyone use them.
  2. Lighting behavior can usually be customized, I like solid white/red backlight for nighttime.
  3. They are high indeed but I have found a thick comfy cheap wrist rest, it’s actually very good and better than a solid table with low profile keyboard.
  4. Don’t know about wireless, but that must surely be a matter of time.
  5. Get a TKL (tenkeyless) keyboard, those are without numpad.

But the best thing about these gamer keyboards are the N-KEY rollover functionality, that is essential for jamming in Renoise.

I have this https://www.hyperxgaming.com/denmark/us/keyboards/alloy-fps-pro-mechanical-gaming-keyboard best bang for your buck gamer keyboard i believe

I can understand that for people who like to jam on the two octaves on the actual computer keyboard, rather than midi keyboard. So does the N-KEY rollover allow you to do a 10 note chord?

There is also a crazy double usage for the ‘gel’ wrist rests for anyone who plays drums with drumsticks they can double up as a cheaper version of a ‘moon gel’ practise pad.

yeah I don’t use a midi keyboard, habit from the C64/Amiga days… but i have keyboards just not using them anymore :slight_smile:

N-KEY can press all the keys simultaneously.

My wrist rest is perfect, it’s literally like a 1cm thick mouse mat, nothing fancy but really perfect.

this is not keyboard related but mouse related.

Have you seen those new mice with a sroll wheel that has momentum?
Its like a weighted ring with ballbearings in it. If you push it or pull it keeps on spinning until you stop it. Those looked pretty excellent for zooming in and out in the sample editor.

1 Like

I have never heard of that before, I think that’s very useful. Right now you can click the mouse wheel and kinda get that long scroll behavior but it’s wonky, I’d much prefer such momentum feature… gotta check that out :slight_smile: