Advise me for a pc keyboard

what difference does it make? are you really going to try to form some 10 note chord on those tiny keyboard keys? or assign a 10-key combination keyboard shortcut?

are you going to mash your fists, palms and forearms on the keyboard to make the experimental sounds?

1 Like

Absolutely not. I was just commenting that there are USB keyboards with the ability to pulse simultaneously 100%. Simply.
Another interesting thing about these keyboards is the wide possibility of using macros.

1 Like

Logitech MK850

I’m quite happy with this keyboard/mouse combo. Keyboard is very comfortable. I like the way the keys feel. Mouse is quite nice. Has the ability to connect to 3 devices via the Logitech Unifying Receiver and Bluetooth. I don’t really use this functionality, to be honest, but it works well (have tested it) and is nifty. If you have a tablet or multiple computers, this is far more useful. The Mouse also has a “Gesture” button that is assignable. Could be pretty useful in the context of Renoise. I disabled it because I kept Gesturing out of games. Kinda sensitive, might consider it a con. The FN key can also be used with the Mouse for combo Gestures, which is also pretty cool.

I don’t think I paid retail for it, but I honestly don’t remember.

As far as using it in Renoise, I love it. The layout of the keys is comfortable and it is easier/faster to get to the Insert/Home/End/Delete keys etc. than on previous keyboards I have used.

1 Like

@Raul: I guess they would not have made keyboards in which all keys can be pressed and send a signal simultaneously unless there was some reason for it…

in general, another thing you might want in a keyboard for renoise is big arrow keys…a lot of these small keyboards these days squash up the arrow keys into a tiny space…you get used to them but its a bit ‘crab hands’/‘lobster hands’, this is the way in which people described holding pspgo…thoses small arrow keys are like that too…or maybe ‘squirrel paw’…the vertical space between down key and up key is not enough

you can also get rubber bendy keyboards these days, quite good for silent night time use but they need to progress further before they are optimized fully to an excellent level of usability
as for now they are a bit weird to type on, but they are rollable, cheap and silent

1 Like

If you choose a mechanical keyboard, I recommend the “Cherry MX Silent” switches. The rest of the switches are a scandal. For my personal use, I have discarded the majority of mechanical keyboards from the market because they are very noisy. Even the sellers want to convince you that “the scandal of the keys” was something attractive, when it is the opposite.

1 Like

I like the scissor keys more than the mechanical keys but im not much of a PC gamer

scissor key

mechanical key

how about a metal keyboard?

they are supposed to be embedded into the desk itself

2 Likes

Interesting keyboard

Just go for the cheapest keyboard you can get which has ‘alt’, ‘insert’, large enough arrow keys and ideally a numpad. If you like tracking at night its a good idea to go for a keyboard that wont be loud clicking all night

1 Like

For a cheap (and nomade) config, I recommend:

1. A soft PC Keyboard

1. A soft Synth Keyboard

1. A CTRL+ALT+DEL extension (in case of Renoise and/or a VST crashes)

1. A panic button extension (in case of Renoise and/or a VST is 100% frozen)

3 Likes

Great tips everyone thank you all.

can anyone recommend a quiet scissor key keyboard which lights up all cool and fancy like those loud mechanical gaming keyboards?

1 Like

Like the “chocolate RGB keyboards”?

Send “chocolate RGB keyboard”.

1 Like

these seem to make playing chords/in tune quite a bit easier. Unfortunately very expensive, no longer in production, and very rare: The AXiS-49 USB music interface
I’ve been toying with the idea of using a Lofree Dot usb keyboard which (weirdly, for a keyboard) has a similar harmonic table layout.
https://www.lofree.co/products/dot-mechanical-keyboard

1 Like

@raul, hey, do you have the actual model of that keyboard to search…i just get mechanical switch keyboards when i search ‘chocolate RGB keyboard’.

@olxsw, axis64 is definitely more compact saving on space…also should be easier to play than a normal keyboard because all scales and chords have the same shape in any key…you can play 3 note chords with one finger…but like guitar the music theory stuff is visually scrambled when you think of it visualizing it on axis64 instead of normal keyboard in which all the notes are in order…they look beautiful, shame its discontinued.

There was another one, quite similar which looked awesome called ‘thummer’ but I guess it was because when they demoed it they chose mostly cheesey presets, the investors didnt understand what a midi controller is, didnt like the sound…didnt get funding, went under.
Would have been the best little portable controller, very expressive

1 Like

@Garrett_Wang

Yes. " Alloy Silent Office Game Desktop". https://www.roundtheclockmall.com/products/562771933450

It looks like another Chinese keyboard (as the vast majority). You can probably place an order directly from China. Learn well before buying.

1 Like

thanks, thats cool that its made of aluminium. looks like its wired though. I think I would prefer to get wirless then I can use it on the sofa when watching youtube.

I dont understand the prefrence people have for those loud mechanical keys.
I always preferred scissor keys.

I have a nice quiet scissor key keyboard, its also super cheap, but it doesnt light up.
Maybe Ill just stick with it and save money. Id only be upgrading for lights anyway

1 Like

@Garrett_Wang

So, I recommend this wireless and illuminated compact keyboard: Rii X8

I have this model, and I am delighted with it. There are other brands and models very similar. It’s not expensive, and it has all the comfort and it works really well. I bought it on eBay. Surely it is available for your language.

This thing is very well thought out. It handles well with both hands, it is silent and it looks great with light. It works with rechargeable battery by USB and last a long time (battery BL-5B). The direct reach is more than 10 meters with its 2.4GHz band.

It measures 13.8 cm wide. It has power switch turned off and an automatic mode of energy saving. Even with this you could handle Renoise… :grinning:

This is a video of a type of youtube:

That looks nice, if there were a way to sort out 3key keyboard shortcuts for renoise it would be nice to chill and write some music leaning back in a sofa.

I might buy one anyway just for general watching tv on sofa

thanks for the recommendation

Try logitech keyboard or you can also try Dell, and after that maybe you can play msp online with msp usernames and passwords which require a good gaming keyboard. I have used these two and I pretty happy with their quality

1 Like