After a week with Renoise, is it time to say goodbye?

Here is my 2 cents, maybe I am wrong, but Taktik multiple times stated that he considers Renoise too old to get fundamental changes implemented. Maybe this was different, if Renoise was not kept so niche, agreed, but making it more mainstream seems to be not the wish of the Renoise team. I can understand that, because that also requires a lot more time and responsibility. Maybe this free time does not exist, simply.

Adding new engines to the sampler would require a lot of refactoring. Since Redux is totally dependent on the Renoise source, this is now much more work, too. And more risk to invest such an amount of time and energy.

Things like completely new sampler engines (“granular”), a pianoroll, or improvements in the underlying core system would require a lot of refactoring (e.g. MPE, sample accurate stuff, CLAP). Also the team has a strong focus on quality, so simply adding mathematical ringmod to the sampler would be experimental fun, but not very professional, since it is not that simple to implement properly, so not fitting the quality agenda.

Maybe we should focus on more realistic feature requests. Like parallel container :smile:… No, I guess that also requires quite a lot changes and API version bumping.

Would be indeed interesting how Taktik, dblue, Danoise and Achenar see the current situation and what their plans are…

As far as I can see there still is no competiting product at all, so of course I wish they would change their minds and jump full in. You see that potential, too, but they know for sure better than we do… Yes, open source it would be a dream, but AFAIK this also was not possible due licensing stuff or so…? Maybe only parts could be open sourced, like the GUI and underlying logic, but the dsp stuff kept into a binary library?
And then there could be two versions, free version without any dsp or whatever, and paid version, both including open source additions.

1 Like

I think it’s inherent to trackers to be much more niche than we imagine. We are very biased here, but most people just can’t get past the threshold of using a tracker. It’s best to understand that Renoise is only for weirdos :slight_smile: Hence, investing a lot of time might not be very rational. But it would be quite interesting to know how many copies that have been sold…

(Btw… I’m surprised that Renoise isn’t used more for generative music. It should have a big userbase there imo, being the most simple platform available to dabble around with these things (excel > serial midi). Maybe Reaper is an even better choice here, I don’t know…)

1 Like

Yup. I’m mighty curious if young people are interested in trackers at all.

The bigger synth channels covering Polyend’s M8 made it sound like trackers are a rare & special thing indeed. Hardly ever seen in the wild.

When I showed Renoise to people they found it be daunting and un-intuitive. To be honest, it was to me as well when I started. But I was highly motivated to learn. And once you’re over those initial hurdles it’s all straightforward stuff. Still, those first few steps are pretty steep.

I’m not too big into generative stuff. But I’ve dabbled with it. Always found it quite a hassle to set up in Renoise. That may very well because I don’t like fully random things and want control over things with repeatable results. So I’m probably just a bad use case example. :sweat_smile:

Then why did you bring both of these subjects up by starting posts on renoise as religious philosophy and trackers as anti-schizophrenic measures?

Seems hypocritical to me :upside_down_face:

If you want discussion, then you can’t be too upset when people have different views than your own

Then editing your posts so that threads no longer make sense… It’s not great behavior. Even if you have been in the “san” forever

1 Like

I do :slight_smile:
Or at least try to

what does any of that have to do with renoise, or music, or this thread topic, or…?

does lord hu encourage calling people names? if so, I’ll pass

1 Like

lol

i sometimes wish this forum had downvotes

good luck, I’m out

4 Likes