Alternative Tablet Interfaces In Lua

With the hype surrounding tablets, and the possibility of Renoise running on Indamixx 2, i’ve been thinking about scripts that turns Renoise into something more tactile for these types of devices.

For example, a grid of huge squares that simply triggers samples, no sequencing, like a drum machine.

Or, an alternative interface to navigate the pattern editor, for stubby fingers, with arrow keys and rotary dials to select note, instrument, effects…

Is this interesting to anyone?

Hi,

I like the concept, back to basics, MPC style, but personally I’m already doing/trying this with a physical launchpad, prefer actual buttons to touch screen. But that’s just my view of course, overall it sounds like a neat idea :) and I could still use it as a quick way to map to the LP. I guess I’m up for supporting anything to help use renoise live.

Cheers,
LW.

If you have a launchpad, you would probably hate the fact that a touchpad won’t allow you to press multiple buttons at the same time, which a launchpad does ;)

If you are interested in Haptic tec, check this:

http://idmil.org/projects

There’s a guy who goes by radarsat1 involved in that lab, and he’s a Renoiser.

My screen supports multi-touch, but the drivers are currently set to respond to combined movements with these multi-touch points. These options aren’t registered as controlling two different areas on the screen at the same time.

is it the drivers or the operating system? I know the devices have been capable for quite a while, Mac has been quite a step ahead of Windows, although Win7 is apparently taking some bounds forwards in that. Anything interesting been achieved with Linux yet?

Most likely the operating system.
Some single point gestures aren’t even working in Renoise like Undo, Copy and paste, because these gestures probably only desire to affect the applications that use the COMMDLG API rather than the DirectX API.
And currently, the Windows 7 tablet gesture configuration only displays single point gesture actions.

When testing the multipoint support, i opened msPaint and tried it out. In there it is clear multitouch is supported.

opps…delete

So I recently bought a Dell multitouch monitor and installed the Windows 8 developers preview. The two combined are a dream. I’ve been playing around in Renoise today and am surprised at how well a touch screen monitor works for manipulating Renoise’s various sliders etc. My biggest gripe with the monitor I bought though is that it only recognizes two points of contact! I mean what kind of multitouch is that?

Hell YES Conner_Bw! :D

I’m just starting to learn Lua and programming in general but I definitely want to explore making better touch interfaces/hotkeys/macros etc for various things I do in Renoise. Have you experimented with any of what you suggested Conner? Anyone else using a multitouch monitor?

Sounds interesting!
I’ve tried running renoise on my ipad via splashtop just for the heck of it. While the graphical side of it worked ok, the sound streaming which works on ‘normal’ applications, did not work at all. It’s a shame, but understandable considering the nature of renoise as a professional application dealing with sound.

Interesting - does this mean that you are able to control Renoise using multi-touch? For example, can you control two sliders simultaneously?
I wouldn’t have expected this, as it’s not designed with multi-touch in mind. But if it’s actually working, I clearly need to get a similar setup!!

No, it doesn’t allow two sliders to be moved at once. The only multi-touch function that I’ve found is the pinch gesture which mimics the scroll wheel. So you can pinch to scroll through the dsp chain, track, pattern matrix etc. For true multi-touch control, Renoise would need to implement whatever multitouch APIs Microsoft has available for Windows 8.

Since multi-touch is becoming more prominent and will be “the next big thing/killer feature” of Windows 8 and more than likely the next Mac OS, could you guys implement it in Renoise 2.9 or 3? :D

On a side note: the monitor only supporting two points of contact, does anyone if this would just be a driver issue that could be remedied with an update (it was meant for windows 7 which only supports 2 finger gestures) or could it actually be a hardware limitation?
Edit: Well I just found out that the multi-touch component is powered by two built in IR cameras. From what I’ve seen, it seems like 3 or more finger gestures like a swipe is possible in software but tracking the precise location of 3 or more points isn’t really possible because your fingers would overlap the cameras view. So, at least with the current relatively cheap multi-touch monitors, sliding three mixer sliders wouldn’t be possible (two at once would) but something like a three finger tap could control pause/play.

Looking forward to the possibility of something like quickly panning through tracks with a flick, holding down a finger and taping on the left to go to pattern editor, holding down finger and tapping right to go to mixer…etc in a future version of Renoise(which could be the first multi-touch DAW!) :D

In the meantime though, would it be very difficult to make an on screen interface to control say, a step editor, mixer, xy pads to use on my touch monitor while using my second monitor as the main Renoise screen?

Thanks for the info, Croco. I guess for starters, Renoise could support these devices if we identified the pitfalls (such as lack of on screen keyboard when you need it), but with a tablet you’re obviously removing 2 out of 3 key components (keyboard and mouse) from the tracking workflow. Basically, a touch-centric version of the software would be a completely rethought version of the interface.

In the meantime, look outside the box and use one of the many ready-to-use applications made especially for touch screens (TouchOSC, Control, etc)?
Figure out what you want to do - create the interface in this external app, and then somehow connect it to Renoise (yeah, sounds really simple doesn’t it :wink:

I would argue that Grid Pie is an experiment in alternate interfaces, so yes I have experimented with the concept of an alternative interface. I would also argue that MPE, Step Sequencer Lauflicht, and Duplex are also alternative interfaces. Launch them, start clicking the buttons on the screen, Renoise does stuff.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any sort of touch or tablet device to play with. No idea how the alternative interfaces react with such devices.