Amigaone X1000

I used my Amiga1200 with Bars 'n Pipes for a long time (until last summer)… Synced to a Roland VS1680 for audio tracks… Now I’m using Reaper on Vista for everything…

Nice

My A4000/060/PIV/Toccata16/ with TPP midi interface is still being used today :yeah:
Synced with a bunch of synth racks and midipatchbay’s
Just love to fiddle with all those knobs on real synth HW :)

I love the tracker interface ,therefore Renoise is just amazing

Well Amiga 500 was only 7Mhz i believe, but the only thing making the long loading times is the floppy drive speed.

Try WinUAE a default A500 config, but put floppy drive at 800% speed, its amazingly fast :D

I think the answer to that is pretty obvious. It’s an Amiga, destined to fail :D

Not all Amiga’s have failed though… :P

Why do you have a 68060 and not a 68030 if cpu speed isn’t important on amigas? ;) I think cpu speed is a huge factor for any computer platform… And with a modern computer with a fast cpu and a fast hard drive, it doesn’t really matter if the os is super small/efficient or not.

You have to read between the lines ;)

The thing i liked about Amiga’s are those NDOS disks (Non-dos) with bootloaders or trackloaders whatever you call them that makes use of a custom-filesystem (not OFS/FFS).

in PC-terms its like booting a game or demo right after the BIOS screen without loading the OS first.

I still have 4 Amiga’s here.

A500 Kickstart 1.2 REV6A Motherboard 1MB RAM
A500 Kickstart 1.3 REV6A Motherboard 1MB RAM (KCS PowerPC Board MS-DOS Emulator)

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=333

A1200/HD Kickstart 3.0 2MB RAM
A1200/HD Kickstart 3.1 6MB RAM

Well the price of this thing is a huge fail… Amiga was also great because it was affordable and since it’s now more of a hobby thing than a real computer for most it’s even more of a pity.

Maybe I should make my own thread for this but it is Amiga related…

Can anybody find (or even know about) a documentary with Aphrodite (I think, may of been Mickey Finn but definitely Urban Shakedown) making a dubplate in a day or two? Lots of Amiga features in it, along with bouncing to sampler/DAT to get fattness of sound. Talks about how all the basses were done on the Amiga or stuff.

I didn’t dream it did I?

Trying to find it for a similar thread I started in another forum.

announcements about new Amigas = epic fail

Hoho… and should you just hit the off switch and some program decides to do a write to the harddrive at that very instant, kiss your filesystem goodbye. Learned that the hard way on my A1200 :o

Yes and no. I owned a Pegasos 1 and Pegasos 2 running MorphOS. The specs for the hardware isn’t anything spectacular but everything was lightning fast on everything, nothing I have seen before and nothing I will ever see (and I have possessed a very souped A1200 with PicassoIV gfxcard, soundcard, ppc, etc.), and I have also tried AmigaOS4 on AmigaOne several times, which turned out to be major disappointment hardwarewise as softwarewise. The only thing coming even near in speed is Amithlon.

But if you use PFS3 then you can switch of even if it writes to the drive, been using this since early 99, rock steady ever since :D

Then we have for example Vista that instead of making a small memory footprint makes use of the modern computer’s memory to speed up program execution. That works if you have the hardware for it! On my computer, programs starts faster on Vista than on Ubutnu. Programs even run faster on Vista than on Ubuntu but that would probably more have to do with how efficient the kernel is or maybe on graphics routines.

I don’t think the lack of a shutdown procedure is a good thing. In Windows, if you shut down your computer and forgot so save something, this program will ask you if you want to save before the computer shuts down. On the Amiga, it would have been lost.

There actually is a shut-down procedure in Amiga Wokbench (in 3.1 anyway), but it doesn’t do much, it just says something like “Can’t shut down, there are still 4 programs running”…

Guys, amiga magic gone in 2000-2002 with its brilliant games, great apps (trackers, deluxe painter, etc) and so on… so this announcement is fail. And this is sad really, if management of Commodore were a lil bit wiser/smarter in 90s then AMIGA really could be like Apple nowadays. But its in the past now. (

p.s. I owned A600 and A1200 - great machines with great abilities. But not now.
Anyway some famous electronic music producers still using them in their rigs, even in live rigs (Patric Kremer aka Patric Catani, Ec8or, Candie Hank for example).

Look on YouTube… Wasn’t that a Amiga Power article? There was also an article about Altern-8 in that magazine.

Urban Shakedown used two miggies for a total of 8 channels of audio (Octamed wasn’t out yet I guess) which they synced by the advanced method of… wait for it… hitting the play key at the same time.

Something else to try searching for then, watched (or at least flicked through) most of the old DnB documentaries I can find on Youtube now and not found it yet. From what I remembered it was definitely after Octamed, but maybe I didn’t see it when it first came out…

If Commodore had done things right, Commodore would have a lot more users than Mac today! I mean, in Sweden, Commodore probably had 90% of the home market, and a superior system (the Amiga). I think one of the problems could be that the amiga wasn’t developed by Commodore from the start, just purchased. Another one that Commodore manufactured and sold PCs, competing with the amiga themselves. And to do that, their management had to classify the amiga as purely a home and play system and the PCs as the professional line. It would have been a lot better if they only concentrated on the Amiga and saw the benefits of it’s system for all applications. They should also have developed advanced pro software themselves.