Analog synthesizer to use with Renoise?

I’m using Renoise largely for sequencing my hardware synths (via midi port outs). I then either “render” or record them into the sample recorder. If using longer phrases with autoseek function. Works really well and like others have said, once recorded you can manipulate away. You end up with loads in ram, but its working well.

Wow its great to see this discussion, really insightive read. So im still researching what I should do before I splash out on something but to be honest I really do think I would like to go for something analog such as the Minibrute, because I really feel like I need to engage in a more hand on process while making my music, theres times were I want to just sit back and manipulate some noise hands on and not stare at my computer screen!

Will the Microbrute or Minibrute allow Renoise to recognize control change? so I can record the automation of knob twizzles?! and how do you know if an analog synth will work in this manner on Renoise? …So much to learn! :dribble:

Analog synths do have character of their own. They’re not better, like bananas are not better to apples.

If you’re only getting one synth to begin with, and sound design in mind, I’d go for the ones with good modulation options, like maybe Pulse 2. Didn’t try it myself, but I know the sound sculpting possibilities are wide.

A bit more expensive than Bass Station, MS20 Mini and such are the Studio Electronics Boomstars. But if you buy used, they’re not that bad, and SE hardware have good keeping value considering possible later selling away of the hw. Absoluytely everything is has a knob or a switch, and the synths have two oscillators, oscillator sync, ringmod, feedback and cross modulation on board, which make them incredibly more flexible than a Mini/Microbrute for example. So you would need more in an initial investment, but would be catered for much longer time in creating interesting sounds. Because eventually you will notice that the Brutes, Volcas etc cheaper ones make a more limited range of sounds, and you will end up yearning for another synth…

Also seemingly incredibly good value for money (around 6-700€ used) is the MFB Dominion X SED. Also multiple oscillators, good moulation options, and a really flexible filter. I don’t have experience on this, but was considering this over the Boomstars… MFB is not the most well known company and in the past some modes had some build quality issues, but from what I’ve heard, the Dominion synths are a big step in a better direction.

One thing to consider is quality. Boomstars are of the new commons synths the only ones that are made with through the PCB components instead of surface mount parts (not sure about the MFB stuff though!). This makes them future proof, and you can be pretty sure that the unit will be working for a long time yet.

Also, “lush” can mean many things, but usually analog synths don’t have effects on board (check the Hypersynth though for a different apporoach), and the sound thus is more raw and pure. So for chorus, delay, reverb (that usually people associate with “lush” sounds) you would need VSTs.

Oh. And buy a distortion pedal! Cheap, and makes a world of difference. I like the MXR Distortion + for synth sounds, clear high end, not too coloured.

A small jam I made this morning to show the Boomstar modulations flexibility:

https://soundcloud.com/aavepyora/studio-electronVics-boomstar-4075-jam

Version with a backing track and some delay:

Will the Microbrute or Minibrute allow Renoise to recognize control change? so I can record the automation of knob twizzles?! and how do you know if an analog synth will work in this manner on Renoise? …So much to learn! :dribble:

Not for anything but pitchbend, modwheel, and channel pressure/aftertouch. All other controls on the MiniBrute are dedicated controls for the MiniBrute itself and don’t send CC values.

Volca Keys is on my wishlist for when I’m not broke. They’re not exactly Zebra 2, but they seem fun to play around with. Make a loop, record it into Renoise, mangle it.

Imo save the money and buy a good midi controller + arturia soft synths.

arturia synth doens’t sound like an analogue it’not that is shit but it doesn’t sound like an anlogue synth after that this is a story of what each love in the sound

(i had the arturia suite in the past and it’s not that i didn’t like it but i really like other soft synth like quiver or altoo)

ps y have just one really synth that is a sammich sid

Hm, isn’t real analog vs digital emulation not just about something like little different transients because of analog outputs and some hp filter on very low frequencies vs raw output on digital? At least I could not hear a difference in a song that uses good analog emulations. If adding an hp filter and some transient shaper (to soften early transients), maybe it would be the same?

Dunno if Arturia’s are very accurately, only know jupiter 8v, which sounds really good to my ears + it has this kind of slight randomization in sound. One week ago Arturia published this new emulation “matrix 12v”, which sounds quite like this marvelous 80ies analog synth. Lately tested Synth1 in deep which has a really good unison section (maybe much better than arturia, because of detailed spread and tuning settings.) Synth1really sounds analog to me.

ostrogoth, can you post some example which shows this kind of analog only sound that you mean?

And of course you can work much more precisely, faster and flexible with a vsti than with any hardware. That’s why I use ma M3 almost never as tone generatoranymore, only for some 80ies sample sounds and sometimes the Radias virtual analog emulation which I do love.

A small jam I made this morning to show the Boomstar modulations flexibility:

https://soundcloud.c…omstar-4075-jam

This is a good example: I like this jam quite a lot, but only because of the spheric, reverbed sound in the background, I kinda don’t like this crazy 90ies filter stuff from this boomstar. It would sound much more precise with a 303 emulation + some noise added + e.g. renoise distortion device. Or even with synth1 which also has osc sync. You don’t not even need an analog device for such filter stuff. My opinion.

its really best to just record them into samples and mangle them in renoise

Is there a way to automaticly record HW synth by the every note to renoise instrument, like it possible to do with a VSTi plugin option “Render to samples” ?

Maybe i should use some kind of tool for it ? Too bad…

For example: i want to record my Moog Sub Phatty to samples, to use it polyphonically.

I have Sub Phatty Editor -VSTi. I can try to record it via “Record to samples” option, but there is no way to rote external auto signal to record path, so i’ll get just empty samples recorded this way (((

Is there are some workaround ? Please advice who already encountered this…

I added the ROland TR8 drum machine and what a great combo …

Ok, finally bought a Volca Keys. Been wanting one for a long time. Been playing with it all day.

10/10 would buy again. Fantastic little synth. So much fun, and very good sound. Actually sounds alot better than I thought it would.

Definitely gonna add a new Volca to my collection every paycheck.

buy microbrute for price of next 2 volcas, please. don’t fret over minibrute, ignore it. you can use your volca to fm the microbrute osc, so there ya go! no, then you realize you must go modular!!! but, seriously, buy microbrute.

don’t buy a microbrute. or anything else from arturia for that matter.

The Lfo phase is all screwed up on the microbrute causing sync issues and even though it is repairable through a firmware update they have absolutely no interest. it has been posted about endlessly on the forums for over a year without a care.

if anyone want’s a microbrute I have a brand new one for sale… My old unit had a bad LFO jack and since arturia has failed to support their product, I had guitar center replace it earlier this month and then I kept the replacement sealed up. brandy new.

I could trade it for a waldorf unit too

I have the volca beats now. It’s ok but I can’t whole-heartedly recommend it like I can the volca keys. It’s fun to play with and if you’re going for the full set so you can link them together then you need it for drums, but it’s not a super great tool for producing a song. The sound is ok, but it’s not going to sound as good as just using samples. My biggest complaint is no “flux” mode like the keys has, which means everything has to be hard quantized. Only way to get triplets/swing is to turn off 4 of the 16 steps and treat it kind of like 12 lpb. You can of course just arrange whatever patterns you want in Renoise or with midi or even play and record live. But imo it’s really only worth buying if you’re interested in getting the whole set of them to do a live thing.

I understand both the Volca series and Arturia’s analog are very basic, entry-level pieces of gear, not professional by any means. I had a monotron some time ago and sold it almost immediately

I wouldn’t sweat the control between Renoise and the synth… I have some hardware synths but I never use them like plugins - where you use the external midi device and route the audio to a track. You can, of course! I’ve never even tried - I always find trying to get midi & audio timing in sync to be more trouble than it’s worth.

Get a synth that sounds and feels good to you, make the sounds you want, and then sample them in to Renoise. From there you can process and sequence to your heart’s content.

Recording audio is fun! Messing with recorded audio is even more fun :slight_smile:

The new Roland (JD-Xi) looks very interesting. And it even comes with added digital synth engines :slight_smile:

I understand both the Volca series and Arturia’s analog are very basic, entry-level pieces of gear, not professional by any means. I had a monotron some time ago and sold it almost immediately

Got my Volca Keys today. Sure it’s basic compared to something more expensive, but you get a whole lot more than a Monotron. I was looking for something really compact and hands on, so this pretty much hits the spot for me. Well time will tell. For more complex sounds my DSI Tetra still serves me well, tho it’s not as hands on without a midi controller.

The volca keys is fantastic. Such a great sound. It’s not like, Zebra 2 or anything, but it does what it does very well. Zero complaints.