Android App for a news agency (spread your news/music also)

Hello,

I have developed an android app called “NARU - the news” for an news agency called “Radio Utopie”. It is a german/english news agency, focussing on politics, society, surveillance, media and also art and music.

NARU is filtering the overloaded information world to collect relevant and important news, articles, videos and documentaries from all over the planet and links to their original source.

NARU is interactive. Every user can easily suggest content to us through our mailbox. Especially independent artists and media are invited to use this chance to distribute their own content […]

So if you have a release or anything else you like to spread you can use the post box and submit your news. It appears not only in the app, but also on the all the websites which include the rss stream of the news agency.

It would be great if you could download and support the app and push it with a rating in the google play store :slight_smile:

Please download it here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.cietec.naru&hl=en

The app is completly free, also no adverts in the app.

What did you use to develop this app? It doesn’t look and feel like an android app (controls, buttons , slide to refresh, …). It opens the news in the default browser, is this the defaultbehavior? I thought i can read news directly in your app. Every news brings me to a timeout page and after the timeout, the browser ask me in which app i should open the news (chrome or twitter). Seems pretty complicated :slight_smile:

Btw, i tested it with my n5 and dev preview of android l.

What did you use to develop this app? It doesn’t look and feel like an android app (controls, buttons , slide to refresh, …).

Thank you very much for testing and the feedback! :slight_smile:

I used no framework but normal native android development. The buttons are the default asset icons recommended for use by google. Could you describe your expected look & feel of an android app?

It opens the news in the default browser, is this the defaultbehavior? I thought i can read news directly in your app. Every news brings me to a timeout page and after the timeout, the browser ask me in which app i should open the news (chrome or twitter). Seems pretty complicated :slight_smile:

Yes, this is the default behaviour. The news agency displays the news headline in a certain category only and links to the original source of the news (the newspaper website, government website, etc.).

Yes the timeout page (of the news agency website) is not the optimal flow; I hope the news agency will remove or diminish it in the near future, I reported it to them.

Btw, i tested it with my n5 and dev preview of android l.

Great, thanks :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for testing and the feedback! :slight_smile:

I used no framework but normal native android development. The buttons are the default asset icons recommended for use by google. Could you describe your expected look & feel of an android app?

Most apps start using the slide menu on the left. You should use this, too. You get more space for the content. Many apps changed their data refreshing to a simple slide down on top. Check the apps: reddit for fun, twitter, soundcloud. Maybe you should start using the material design guidelines:https://www.google.com/design/spec/material-design/introduction.html So your app will be looking awesome on android 5. I’m not sure, how the compatibility is handled. As far as i know, google have a support library:http://developer.android.com/tools/support-library/index.htmlwhich allows you to use new stuff in your app and it will still work with lower android versions.

Thank you, I will have a look at it. :slight_smile: