Another Rudimentary Granular Effect

right there with ya!

As far as lpb control goes, I’ve been duplicating patterns and running them at different lpb as it makes for more options/flexibility/control for different samples and song tempos. It is also possible to mute various note-column “playheads” within a given pattern, offering more flexibility. I’ll upload another version with more functionality in the next day or two. @Neuro_No_Neuro Nice new version :slight_smile:
Glad to figure out some native grain cloud capability! Still hoping for sampler-integrated granular from @taktik at some point, if we’re lucky :crossed_fingers:

Wondering if an LFO with a faster speed could affect the stepper to be faster… would that speed up the grains in any way? Maybe less work for @taktik ?

Here’s another version:
grain cloud 1 init.xrni (104.0 KB)

So, there are 3 slightly offset forward scrubbing playheads by default, but by muting note columns in each phrase, 3 (again, slightly offset) backwards playheads can be enabled, and/or 2 random playheads.

This version has the maximum pattern length of 256 lines for each pattern in the instrument, but varying lpb values: 256, 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, and 2 lpb, including an additional “blank” pattern of 256 lbp to copy and alter as you see fit. The lower lpb value patterns can make some nice rhythmic effects, but are quite long! I’ll make some shorter versions at some point. As they currently are, they make for some nice long-repeating, pseudo-random phrases when the random playheads are enabled.

I think there is a lot more potential using this technique although it might be a bit time-intensive to set up the playhead patterns… You could theoretically have playheads that scrubbed back and forth, clustered in one section then jumped to another… lots of possibilities. I have notes triggering probabalistically, but that could certainly be disabled. Skies the limit here, I think.

I also added pan spreading to my version, as well as a lowpass filter and reverb in the effects section. I left the instrument filter empty, so, per grain filtering is very much an option, although the filters may behave unpredictably when asked to retrigger at such rapid rates.

anyways, hope this is useful to some of the rest of you besides me and @Neuro_No_Neuro!
Drop in some samples, try different patterns, and twist away :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Neat! Thank you :blush:

Yeah, this is WAY more flexible - now we’re having granular speed. Very nice work here, @slujr

Everybody, please check this out. @taktik - can you incorporate this in a collected manner inside of a Sampler? This is the very best granular effect that has been created with Renoise - it’s spot-on. Please add this into Renoise Sampler as a finished method of sample playback?

2 Likes

@taktik I will second this needing native support. We all love Renoise and I hope this feedback is taken constructively and with good will.

2 Likes

OK, so I’ve updated the instrument and improved its functionality. Most of the relevant bits are commented in the instrument itself, but we now have 12 playheads… 3 running from start to end (one of which plays the grains backwards), 3 running from end to start (one of which plays the grains forwards), 4 random playheads (two playing grains backwards), and two scrubbing “ping-pong” playheads operating in reverse of each other. There are a lot more phrases now, too, to offer more rhythmic and timing flexibility. From 256 lpb for 512 lines, all the way down to 2 lpb for 64 lines. Different patterns will suit different source samples, and the low lpb phrases offer some interesting rhythmic effects.

Anyway, have fun with this and enjoy our newly extended native granular synthesis capabilities :slight_smile:

ReGranulizer v1.xrni (1.0 MB)

5 Likes

I’m going to download later, but big respect for doing this.

2 Likes

Holy Cow! Thanks a ton, @slujr !

1 Like

ya, my pleasure. gotta share the love! Hope it gets a ton of use. seems pretty powerful, actually

3 Likes

THIS is how granular stuff SHOULD sound @slujr. Very good. Here’s a snippet of a track, and it’s not done yet, going to attenuate it a bit more. The granular part using the tool (with my little modifications to the Macros) is at 40 seconds in. A video generator by Ivan Dianov paired with the audio in Apple Motion, further processed with Photomosh Pro.

5 Likes

Awesome. Sounds great! Glad it’s getting use!

2 Likes

This is what I love about the granular sound, how it feels like reality itself is fracturing somewhat. I always enjoy your stuff mate.

2 Likes

Well, thank you very much - couldn’t do this without @slujr ReGranulizer and Renoise! Renoise is what provides the rock-solid structure for all of this.

1 Like

i’ve tried it out. works also in redux! thx :heart_eyes:
this instrument must not be lost

2 Likes

Ive tryed it with a voice sample and after 2 minutes i had this. its a monster!
:crazy_face:
ReGranulizer Voice Demo

3 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying this Instrument, thanks to @slujr for figuring this out - it’s pretty amazing what can be done with it!

2 Likes

This instrument should be intergrated as “preset” in the next Update

2 Likes

@Neuro_No_Neuro , @slujr I need to thank you both for idea and solutions!
I messed up a bit and found something good (well at least for my taste); it’s amazing how you can experience in depth only with this technique
grain.xrni (905.6 KB)

2 Likes

Nicely done! You get the idea :upside_down_face:

There’s a lot more that can be done with this concept, imo. I’ve been humanizing the slice values to add more “swarm” characteristics. I’ll probably post a version 2 with swarming playheads before long.

1 Like