Anyone doing orchestral scores etc. in Renoise?

Got myself Ablion1 a couple of months ago and I’m just wondering if anyone are doing orchestral work in Renoise?

Reason for asking is that I find it a bit difficult to overview my work when working with patterns in this context.

E.g. only a one off hit of a percussion sound, it’s a bit messy to find it by scrolling through patterns.

Don’t really want to use another DAW but I’m leaning toward going for a more “normal” DAW for this.

Thougths, experiences appreciated.

I’ve done it once, but it was a very simple and short trailerwork. Did it with varying bpm and pattern size.

It’s not even using hammer for screws, it’s more like using chainsaw for nails. Go for normal DAW with proper video support for scoring.

Yeah, that’s kind of what I’ve come up with as well.

Thanks for input.

Anyway, for songs with orchestral flavour, game soundtracks or anything that doesn’t need to be matched to video or doesn’t need to sound really real Renoise is just fine.

this suite has been entirely made in Renoise using East West Symphonic Orchestra VST.

at that time I was richly inspired and had lot more spare time; it was an huge work and it can be indeed difficult to have a complete overview of the composition when it is that big, anyway I survived :slight_smile: and it was a great experience, too

I have been working on a piece using IK Multimedia’s Miroslav Philharmonik. Slow going…

I’ve done some fairly complex strings passages (as parts of larger songs) in Renoise using LASS. I thought the pressure Renoise sort of places on the user to render to samples ASAP might be a problem, it wasn’t, worked fine and was interesting to take the tracker approach to traditional strings. I did end up editing most of those passages in Reaper (after exporting them as MIDI from Renoise), but only because I find it easier to follow what’s going on harmonically in a piano roll-style, horizontal editor. I could have done it all in Renoise alone without trouble, it just would have taken more time.

Speaking of which, it’s sort of amazing, but those ancient Edirol Orchestral strings still hold up pretty well, I tend to layer them with the more “realistic” LASS strings for a smoothed effect, works great, and they play very nicely with Renoise (multi-timbral routing) for mocking up string or other orchestral parts.

These three orchestral pieces (listed below) are entirely made in Renoise, as well as the other tracks in the reel.

1.0:00-1:23
2. 3:03-4:26
3. 10:50-11:56

i can recommen you symphobia 1 and LA Strings

https://soundcloud.com/user3285520/heaven-chillstep-partial-vocals

i’ve used symphobia on this track

this suite has been entirely made in Renoise using East West Symphonic Orchestra VST.

at that time I was richly inspired and had lot more spare time; it was an huge work and it can be indeed difficult to have a complete overview of the composition when it is that big, anyway I survived :slight_smile: and it was a great experience, too

Amazing