Anyone Else Using An Emu 0404?

How the F$^#! do I get internal audio to my wav recording app?!??!!?

I have read the .pdf and looked at emu’s support page.
They propose a solution to my exact problem, the only problem is I don’t seem to have the options that they show.
In my “Host Output Assignment” window there’s no green and orange “Mix” and “Mon”. It’s just blank there.
“I cannot record with my wav editor”

Either I’m a complete tard or somethings not working properly.

Anyone else using an 0404 that can help?

[edit]OK, I’ve managed to get levels in the included wavelab software by loading the “wavlab lite” session in the PatchMixDSP, but still can’t get shit in soundforge which is what I want to use[/edit]

don’t know, yank_crime

but there you can find help:

Unofficial E-MU Forum

Thanks, I will check that out.

Hi!

I have Emu0404, working great here. I was also [at first] confused how to manage these options to work but it is very simple if you use DEFAULT settings [as Im at work right now I cant remember right now], but go to top right part of your EMU0404 mixer and open predefined sessions. My suggestion is to use DEFAULT 44.1 session and mix & mon will appear [if I understand well your problem]. Then on mixer you just move slider to the right [in mixer you want to record] and will be able to record what you hear [this knob is somewhere above the volume slider]…

:)

p.s. I cant play smaller resolution movies with sound that has lower sound freqs than 44.1 khz [for example, movies recorded using mobile phones or photo cameras recorded at 11 or 22khz] - because sound is terrible. But EMU0404 support told me to try to "fix" IRQs [either from BIOS or to move card to other slot] as IRQ for EMU cant be over 15 [while at my computer it is at 16th IRQ]. Can you plz resample 44.1 khz sound to 11khz and play it from WinMediaPlayer for example. How does it sound?

^^^
Thanks for the info I will try it out shortly. :)

I did try the sample rate conversion thing 44.1->11.

Right after I converted it down using wavlab it sounded ok in wavlab. Then, when I opened it in WMP it sounded bad, and after that when I reopened it in wavlab it now sounded bad.
Strange. :ph34r:

the E-MU cards has not so great WDM support.

my solution for all windows application (non-asio):

if you have an onboard soundcard, use it as default sound device and connect the onboard sound card over s/pdif with the E-MU card.
so you have no problems in games or in media players …

sounds like a good idea, since i’m quite familiar with WDM related problems with my 1212m.
so s/pdif is the key… question is… how do you connect that? is it done with an internal cable? these flat little fellas also used for connecting a CD-ROMs audio to a soundcard?

Pretty much ditto, but using a RME HDSP3692. If I use DirectX then I get little glitches at the start/end of mp3s, or the audio doesn’t play the right speed compared to video on movies (or using VLC it skips to keep it time, but you hear it jumping)

Can use WaveOut mode, which seems to work for 44.1k 16bit files, but anything else and it just wont work.

Personally I have the on-board soundcard (Asus P4C800E motherboard) turned off in BIOS. How would I connect an out of it to my RME to solve this glitching problem? Don’t use newsgroups and RME don’t have a forum. Should really get ontehir newsgroup but it always seems to much work…

Lazy me

Wow! Looks like you have solution for me!!!

Well, as you all know, playing low quality videos and samples taken from mobiles or digital cams sounds terrible on EMU0404 in any video player on any Win I tried, I contacted EMU support center and ask what to do. Here is their answer:

=========
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting E-MU Support.

Can you please ensure that your onboard soundcard is disabled in the
BIOS of your PC and that you updated your Pc with the newest chipset
drivers.

Please also check if the IRQ of the card is NOT over 15. If it is then
your card uses an virtual IRQ what can cause problems sometimes. To get
another IRQ please try the card into another slot.

More Instructions to resolve this problem can be found on our
Knowledgebase at:

http://ask.europe.creative.com/SRVS/CGI-BI…e.com,case=2442

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact
us.

Please retain all the previous correspondence when replying to this
email.

Best Regards,

J Czychelski
E-MU Technical Support

So, last several days I spend TRYING to set soundcard to other slot [I have 5 slots] so it will be in IRQ range from 0 to 15… BUT I failed… I tried ALL possible combinations - EMU0404 can stay only on IRQ16, 17, 18 and 19 [!!!] No f***in’ chance to force it use IRQ lower than 16!!!

So I found [very annoying to me] solution: I bought a mixer [Berhinger], set as default soundcard - AC97 from my motherboard, connect its output to MIXER Input [where I also connected Mic [EMU0404 does not have preamplifier!]], connect mixer to EMU0404 AudioIn and outputs all to speakers…

But, as AC97 has noise, very ofter I had to turn mix off or set AC97 volume slider to 0 when creating music [in ReNoise I use ASIO & Emu output]…

As you said I can connect AC97 to S/PDIF? You mean - simple stereo output from AC97 to SPDIF in and it will work??? :) I dont have cable yet but if it will work, then Ill be the happiest man [after over month of pain trying to solve my EMU problems!]

p.s. do you have any other idea - how to force EMU set on IRQ lower than 16? Are EMU support lying? I still believe they have problems with drivers… What WDM support stands for?

Thanx again!

solved my issue meanwhile.
i also have the asus p4c800e-deluxe, which features an external coaxial digital output that i simply hooked up with the coaxial input of my 1212m.
works like charm.
so if your RME card features a coaxial digital in, it should be no problem.

If you set your BIOS to disable the ACPI settings for letting windows detect and maintain the hardware you should be able to manually change the interrupts in the device properties of windows.
Usually you have to set legacy mode for the pci-slot you like to manually control.
But actually it’s best to switch your whole machine to legacy mode as you can manually devide your hardware across the system’s resources.

Turning off the onboard audio card is always the better option no matter what.
Even if you can create a workaround with it, there will always remain possible conflicts with various media applications that don’t like two soundcards being around.
Only use an embedded audio device if it is the only audio device you have, no more.

That was basically my thinking. I’m sure it must be curable without going spdif out of m/b into soundcard, and back out again. At least using VLC I can manually set an audio offset for any propergation delay, but I still don’t want the two devices fighting for resources.

Thing is, although I turned it off in BIOS when initially setting up my computer, I tried installing a Linux partition ages ago and it recognised the onboard soudcard and stuff, although it should be dissabled at base level. Makes me wonder how fully BIOS actually turns things off…

I already have my soundcard in the only slot PCI slot that is known to have it’s own IRQ number. (The far one on the left if you didn’t realise Keith303 as you have same mb) Thing is that’s still using IRQ21 with the way I have things set up, so wouldn’t help if you needed to keep it below 16 as some epople seem to be saying they need to…