Apply LFO and envelope to same parameter

I’m trying to create a riser effect by having an envelope that sweeps the filter cutoff up over some period of time.
In addition to that, I would like to get some variety in the riser by adding an LFO that modulates the cutoff a tiny bit.

However, as soon as I turn on the LFO it seems to take precedence and completely overrides the envelope.

I can get the result I would like by adding the envelope for the filter offset in this case but that seems kind of confusing to me.

Is there a way to set the LFO to be relative to what the envelope sets as opposed to overwriting it?

Possibly (haven’t tried this yet), you could use an automation parameter instead of an LFO. It might be that the LFO and the Envelope being in the same area are competing with each other.

You would need to select for the instrument an:

Instrument Macros device
Assign one of the knobs to the Cutoff
Use the automation panel to operate the cutoff

You could possibly do this with a separate filter as well - maybe that’s all that needs to be done?

This may or may not work, since I haven’t tried it.

I couldn’t quite get the instrument macro approach to work. If I put the filter in the instrument and assign the cutoff to a macro and then put the LFO and automation envelope on that the LFO still seems to overwrite it.

Two filters sort of works but it still feels a bit of an indirect way of achieving that. I think I’ll stick to putting the automation envelope on the lfo offset for now.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

@T-ger Perfect, that’s exactly what I was looking for!

1 Like

You wanted to do it in the modulation? Where is the problem - you can just add the LFO to the envelope, and use a tiny amplitude?

Or when you want to do it from track…the meta mixer uses ratios and thus is not so straightforward to control. You can as well just use the LFO device with a tiny amplitude and modulate the offset. Or you can use the formula device to add together an LFO and another parameter

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.