Applying scale to track

Let’s say you’re working on a song, but you have come to the point where you’re mixing scales and it just doesn’t sound right. Now you may choose the scale for any instrument, but it doesn’t affect what is already written. You could say you may use a phrase, because a phrase will be fixed to the scale, but i really like to be able to write the correct note in my patterns too. It would make it much easier when plotting in additional notes later, because you would see the actual notes you hear.

So i suggest an option in the pattern editor right click menu ‘apply scale’ under the sub menus or something. Even better would be a tick box beside the scale settings ‘apply to song’ or similar, that automatically adjusted the instrument to the scale in the whole song. Both would be awesome. :badteeth:

Could be that this is more tool material, i don’t know. What do you think?

Cubase has a scale track, have alook at that.

Cubase? How is that even remotely useful when i’m using Renoise as my DAW?

You can try out the feature and form your idea better, fully etc. so that to interest someone to write a complex tool to do so, maybe decide that it’s not really worth the trouble. :stuck_out_tongue:

One of the xStream models does just this (notes and scales)

Works while playing, or on the pattern selection/track

I’ll look into that, thanks danoise.

Let’s say you’re working on a song, but you have come to the point where you’re mixing scales and it just doesn’t sound right. Now you may choose the scale for any instrument, but it doesn’t affect what is already written. You could say you may use a phrase, because a phrase will be fixed to the scale, but i really like to be able to write the correct note in my patterns too. It would make it much easier when plotting in additional notes later, because you would see the actual notes you hear.

So i suggest an option in the pattern editor right click menu ‘apply scale’ under the sub menus or something. Even better would be a tick box beside the scale settings ‘apply to song’ or similar, that automatically adjusted the instrument to the scale in the whole song. Both would be awesome. :badteeth:

Wouldn’t this be a good addition for the advanced editor dialogue?

Yeah, advanced editor, so it can be per individual pattern/entire track/song/etc. Reaper’s got a nice answer to this functionality, I’ve become accustomed to establishing key/scales/chords in there and bringing into Renoise (not that that helps OP).

Yes i agree, the advanced editor operations field would probably be the best place for a feature like this. :slight_smile: