Are there plans a for a renoise synth?

Are there plans a for a renoise synth?

Just wondering.

I really don’t think so as we have a sampler that serves its purpose directly (load a saw sample, there you go,a synth), maybe you mean, have more vst-synth-like features like unison etc,?

Actually you can make a real polyphonic synth with the new waveform filters. I just did it in my latest track for some supersaw sounds and i think it sounds pretty good. Much better than the ringmod synths we’re all familiar with, no more clicks and weird artifacts (at least not very noticeable), it is also polyphonic, which was impossible earlier.

I’m of course talking about Redux, but hopefully it won’t take too long before we have those in Renoise too.

All you need to do to make the waveform filters work like a synth is to make a DC sample of 1 sample length (turn off interpolation because they will only use more CPU with no effect), then put a keytracker in the ‘note’ and set it to add and +/-.

I would like to see a ramp waveform in there though and it would also be awesome if we could put two or more modulation sets in series.

@TheBellows: Wow, very neat. Thanks for pointing this out. And it isn’t as CPU intensive as i thought. (Although the mod-chain didn’t work for me that way, had to put it to input=1, multiply, no +/- in order to get the notes right) But yeah! cool. I also just discovered, that you can now drag and ctrl-drag copy the modulation sets. Hooray. I hope in future versions it will be possible to drag the single chains around. That would be so nice.

@TheBellows: Wow, very neat. Thanks for pointing this out. And it isn’t as CPU intensive as i thought. (Although the mod-chain didn’t work for me that way, had to put it to input=1, multiply, no +/- in order to get the notes right) But yeah! cool. I also just discovered, that you can now drag and ctrl-drag copy the modulation sets. Hooray. I hope in future versions it will be possible to drag the single chains around. That would be so nice.

You’re right, i mixed it up, my input is 0 and it’s set to Add, but your way works exactly the same i think. :slight_smile:

It’s also very easy to make a pitch controller, just add an operand (multiply) to the right of the keytracker and macro it.

hmm… tried that, but then I get a cool but weird scale. anyways… hooray :slight_smile:

To OP:

The Sampler in Renoise already is our native instrument :slight_smile:

If you’re referring to native synth-like oscillators which do not rely on sampled waveforms, then it’s certainly a very cool idea that would be fun to explore, and I’d personally love to see such a feature myself.

With thousands of VST plugins out there to choose from, catering to every possible sound you could ever imagine, I don’t think we’ll ever bother to create our own full-blown native Renoise synths. But I do think we could eventually add some interesting new things here and there, to get some basic native sound synthesis options, and not rely so heavily on samples as the sound source.

Source: https://forum.renoise.com/t/before-i-start-using-custom-wave-synth/43678

hmm… tried that, but then I get a cool but weird scale. anyways… hooray :slight_smile:

Ah, yeah you need to lower the range for it to get in tune at 50%.

I just experimented a bit and the closest i could get to 1 octave up and down was to use Add +/- and set the macro to -1.01 to 1.01.

Maybe we should suggest an offset slider on the keytracker?

I miss sample aliases and a macro for unison…

I think in terms of people collaboratig together while both parties using Renoise (daw) and a Renoise Synth (vst), you could do a lot more collaboration and keeping file sizes small when exchanging files. But the synth would have to be included in the renoise package.

It would be cool if you could send someone a small renoise file and havind alle the sounds coming out of the synth. And not having a bunch of heavy samples come with it.

Also people in other daw’s could use the renoise vst aswel.

Have you ever polled the rensoise user’s if they would be interested in a Renoise synth vst?

Have you ever polled the renoise user’s if they would be interested in a Renoise synth vst?

No, but I’m sure plenty of people would show interest in such a thing. People do enjoy a good poll, after all.

Either way, it just wouldn’t be a very good use of development time.

There’s really nothing amazingly special that we could do in a synth plugin which hasn’t already been done a thousand times before, by more talented and innovative synth developers who have dedicated their life to that particular path.

It makes total sense to focus on improving Renoise/Redux’s own native sound generation capabilities, in whatever form they may take, but does the world really need yet another average beep maker plugin with a few oscillators, filters, envelopes, and the usual crap? Probably not. :wink:

So, really… There are tons of great cross-platform synth plugins out there these days, both freeware and paid. Simply find a few that you like and use them when collaborating with your mates. :slight_smile:

@dblue: any chance of us seeing the sample polyphony per instrument limit raised?

I’d love to make more complex additive sounds, but being limited to 12 partials is pretty restrictive.

And yes, I love padsynth, but I want to be able to apply modulation sets to individual partials to create complex, evolving additive timbres.

What if we found a free synth vst creator that would allow packaging his/her free synth and renoise together?

I miss sample aliases and a macro for unison…

This would be totally easy to implement, by using the sample slice functionality and allowing other samples next to the slices at the same time. The starting point and length of the slices would be at same for all. The code is already there…

@••• H∑X • ∑Y∑ •••, i’d love the 12 sample limit to be removed as this applies to releasing samples as well, effectively you may often only use 4-6 samples per key.

the problem here is

1 you’ll have to fine tune using the pitch envelope as the fine tuning via sample properties will give you an inharmonic (withthe rough offsetfrom harmony)result not at the 16 or more harmonic but at already ~5th and I know that is not what you would personally want.

2 the intense cpu draw required

One method or another, you will have to use tools to treat this problem, but if tools are used you might as well just make an additive synth directly with all the special details you want

@Jurek: only someone with access and knowledge of the code can comment on that :stuck_out_tongue:

+1 to increasing the sample limit

HeadphoneCue <restart add tunefish4 synth to renoise as default thread, because it looks like renoise, no other real reason>

now If the renoise sampler would be changed to something like syrum…honestly a native additive synth, and resynthesis would be good enough, that would be a different story, and i’d guess, not that hard to implement too