Are We Getting Sustain Pedal Support In Next Version?

Sorry to bump a two-year-old topic, but is xrni sustain pedal support coming any time soon? Is there any workaround in the meantime?

Now, I rarely have a chance to play acoustice pianos, but from what I can remember, holding the sustain pedal down at different degrees, (eg. 1/4, 1/2, or all the way down) will give different amounts of sustain. I’ve never actually seen a digital keyboard do this, but I believe that my sustain pedal has ‘analogue’ output, or, a value that ranges from 0-127 anyway, and I’d love to see Renoise do this with tweakable controls.

I know that this may be impossible in some cases, even in my own, since pedals are routed through controllers, and I might just be flat out wrong. but I hope it’s considered. ;)

Yes, different degrees will change the amount of sustain and the tone of the piano. Unfortunately since it’s a physical reaction, every piano behaves in a different way and it’s not as simple as different amounts sustain. There tends to be a cutoff point about halfway through, where the dampers come off the strings and the sound suddenly jumps from muffled to sustained. The graph of this would probably look something like y=³√x. Thus pianists quickly press and release the pedal just down to the cutoff point long enough to connect the chords, but not any more unless the music calls for it.

That said, I’ve found that the simple on-off sustain found in most VSTs and digital pianos works just fine for me. That simple feature in xrni would make me very happy…

+1 VERY MUCH AGREED.

Just wanted to make it clear: Of course an implementation that failed on this example would have to be considered flawed, and I would never even think about using it…

Yep, that pretty much covers all the logistics of a simple on/off sustain pedal…at least i think you’re not forgetting anything…?