Are We Getting Sustain Pedal Support In Next Version?

Just a reminder to the devs; please don’t forget about sustain pedal in the next version of renoise.

I’m on linux, and the only really stable piano I have is a native renoise one. But without sustain pedal support, I don’t use it as much as I’d like:-(

As a layer for the internal instruments you mean…

Not really. To me it sounds like you’re talking about being able to trigger some part of the piano sample when the pedal is pressed or released, for super-realistic emulation, or am I wrong?

Just “whatever it takes” for me to be able to play + record a native instrument and use the sustain pedal the way it works on an accoustic piano; notes are held while the pedal is down.

I’m not sure if it’s programatically/midi techincally the right way to do it, but something like “when the pedal is down” don’t send any noteoff messages to the instrument". Maybe we need a new effect command that behaves like this (makes the recieving instrument(s) disregard any noteoff) and then record the state of the pedal to this message in a effect column.

Here are some midi specs I googled…

The problem is only with native renoise instruments…

yep. +1 for this feature. would be very nice.

I use kontakt and the sustain pedal works great…HAHA, my bad…I should read other’s post before posting.

Kontakt doesn’t work on linux though. :P

Native sustain pedal support in renoise would be cool: The keys which are pressed after the pedal is down will be held until the pedal is released.

Shouldn’t be hard to implement and I am sure lot of people would love it.

Yeah, this man has it right. Others, please quit recommending 3rd party commercial software which “supports it”, this isn’t a “my 3rd party commercial software does not support pitch bend” it’s a “my renoise does not support pitch bend” thread!!!

No it’s not! It’s a “My Renoise does not support Sustain Pedal” thread :P

you’re a sharp one, aren’t you!

2.8.0b1 is out and it seems it still doesn’t support sustain pedal. Please, devs, could we squeeze this in before the end of this release?

I’m considering how to create sustain pedal support for the duplex keyboard - in the planning phase it would be cool to get you gentlemen on board.
Esaruoho and atte, you have both been advocating how useful a feature it would be, so how do you feel about Suva’s definition:

Sounds to me like a simple on/off switch really. So, no variable transition between the open and closed stage? Keep in mind that we can’t adjust the volume of notes that have already been triggered, we can only control their duration.
Also, we have an limit to the number of notes which can be triggered in a single track (but this would be taken care of transparently on a “first in, first out” basis)

It is pretty much on/off. Wouldn’t a volume envelop be used on the note off?

Sure, you could attach any sort of release envelope. But a sustain pedal is not about what happens once you release - it is about controlling the (point of) release itself.

I think I understand Suva’s intention (a simple on/off switch), but that is not how all sustain pedals work. Ever tried playing a real piano? Apart from the fact that the pedal “muffles” the tone, it also affect the duration - but not like an on/off switch, it’s much more “analog” in nature.

For example, imagine that we have a sustain pedal which can go from 0% (no sustain) to 100 % (fully sustained).
0% will simply make the notes release as soon as you release the physical key. 100% will make the notes sustain indefinitely

But by introducing a variable state, things get a little more complex: anywhere between those fully closed and fully open, the total “lifespan” of the note is affected.

Think about it as a hourglass, where the sustain pedal’s position affect the size of the hole through which sand grains need to pass.
So a fully sustained note would be the same as an hour-glass where the opening was completely blocked, while an un-sustained note would be the same as an hourglass that didn’t have any narrowing at all, make the sand grains pass instantly. And the whole process would be going on in realtime, making every movement of the pedal count.

I’m thinking that both have their place. On/off switching could be the first milestone, with variable-state the “ultimate goal”.

I see what you are saying. It has been so long, I can’t remember what it was like to play on a real piano. My current pedal seems to only send two values. One for on and one for off. I haven’t seen any variable data that represents the position of the pedal.

I guess that would be a pedal controling a potentiometer for sending signals.
It is very simple to make. Simply another fader control used differently.

The way it works in a real piano is actually quite simple: Any key released with the pedal down will continue sounding until the pedal is released, then it stops sounding.

In renoise speak this could be something like: off commands are “kept back” while the pedal is down, when the pedal is released any keys that have such an off command “held back” gets an off command.

C4 C5  

off  
 off  

becomes

C4 C5  

off off  

Yes, we perfectly agree on that one
If it became a little more detailed it could go like this:

-- start of pattern, pedal is up --  

C-4   
OFF   

C-4   

OFF   

But …that’s not the complete idea about variable state :D

Let’s be clear: I don’t think I’m overcomplicating things here! Once I get around to implementing sustain pedal support into the Duplex keyboard, it will be like you described above, and not completely ridden by features that you wouldn’t need.

But here’s the deal: what I’m talking about is the ability to control, expressively, how long a note is, by assigning a duration to it. Holding keys pressed would not be “needed”, but it would still have an affect, as they could prolong the note’s duration at the point where it would otherwise be terminated.

So, perhaps it’s better to simply name the variable-state feature “duration” - but it would produce the same result as the example above :slight_smile:

The feature could be described as if your pedal was controlling the note-length, but when setting the note-length prior to triggering the note, going from slow and long into short and fast - you can’t really do this. The long notes that already got triggered would continue playing, overlapping the newly triggered, shorter ones. Musically speaking (if not control-wise), it would make more sense to be able to control the overall note-length in terms of the time that have passed. Indeed, a variable state that would need to go from “endless” to “immediately release” and anything in-between. Very hard to communicate these things in writing. But basically, it’s about weighing expressiveness (as in: extending or shortening notes on the fly) over absolute control (specifying the exact note length the moment they are triggered).

I agree the duration abstraction makes sense! As long as my pedal is working :slight_smile:

thanks to this thread I have discovered that piano pedals are not switches but actually have a dynamic. I feel like an idiot.