Arp?

gday, i’ve been muckin round with renoise for a few months now and programing a few loops etc having a bit af fun. Just wondering if there is a good tutorial/textfile out there about ‘arp’ sounds in all the vst presets, what are they how they work and how to write my own etc, i try to look at it but i really how no idea hows synths work!

also a quick one…
i’ve got a core2duo 2.4 with 4 gigs of ram and a axiom 49 keyboard but im just using the onboard sound on the motherboard. If i get a cheaper sound card it will bring the latency down from the keyboard right?at the moment its unbearable 43ms. its packed up and back in the box and im just using my comp keys, probably going to get the white paint out this week end to paint the edges!

any help would be appreciated,

cheers!

Dont know about the first thing. but for lower latency with a onboard soundcards you should try out Asio4all

http://www.asio4all.com/

can’t help about the first thing (your question is really vague).

I just have to notify that ASIO drivers can only be used in registered version of Renoise.

‘Arp’ is an abbreviation of Arpeggiator.

You can think of it as a type of automated mini-sequencer, I guess. Typically, when you hold down a chord such as C + E + G (a very simple C major chord), the arpeggiator will interpret this and then automatically play a sequence of notes within this chord range. Sometimes it will trigger random notes, sometimes the notes will be triggered in ascending or descending order, etc., but overall there is nothing special happening, it is simply making your musical life a little bit easier by playing the notes automatically for you. Usually you can also choose the timing of the sequence, whether the notes triggered should be 16ths, 8ths, etc.

Renoise does not have a built-in arpeggiator, so you will just have to sequence the notes manually in the pattern editor. It’s not such a big deal, as they are just notes afterall, but to get nice results it can be useful to know a little bit of basic chord theory. At the most basic level you simply have to find a few notes that work well together and then go crazy with it - try playing them in random order, spanning 2 or 3 octaves, etc., just experiment and have fun.

And just for fun, here’s a little demo: http://illformed.org/temp/arpdemo.xrns

unless he means the ARP range of analog synthesizers?
I believe there’s a couple of vsts that simulate them, but I don’t know what they are.

thanks for the reply! thats what i wanted to know. when i was doing google searches all i could get was info on the arp brand of synths like the next fella said,

cheers

It has, it is called the pitch envelope in the instrument envelopes, but these parameters do not apply to VST instruments unfortunately.

A separate arpeggio generator device would be cool though, but i guess with the new Fx to VSTI option, there are probably some pretty fine plugins that do this job perfectly.

Renoise has some sort of 3-step arpeggiator. look at this very simple arpeggio example song I have done for you using the built-in arpeggio command.

a more detailed, but very complex, usage of the arpeggio command can be found in the demosong called “The Path” which comes with Renoise 1.91

The arp command is way too simple to have an exclusive form of use.
It is a very bad inheritance from the old tracker days.
Compared to the music applications on the C64, Developers that made trackers on Amiga did not really had a good sense of what possibilities a good arpeggiator should contain. The 0xy command is a real trade off just to say there is an arpeggiator but it has a minimum use with a decent effect.