Arpeggio speed

I wish there was a command to define the speed of the arpeggio instead of changing, and relying on, the LPB (and the BPM).

Example: I want a slow switching arpeggio and therefore I have to put the LBP down to 3 or even 2. Increasing the BPM just increases the arpeggio again so it’s somewhat cumbersome to make a song with a LBP that low.

Quick suggestion: Changing the command to A_zxy_ (it’s 0A_xy_ today) where z is the speed, and x and y are the first and second note just like it is. OR making a complete new command that sets the speed.

I don’t even know it this is possible, just a thought so far.

The Axx command is tick based, so unless some other effects in your song rely on ticks, you can change it from ZK01 - ZK0C

If you can’t or won’t chance the ticks, another approach would be to use a phrase. Internally, phrases are fixed to 12 ticks, but can have their own LPB - independently from the song.
LPB1 isn’t even that low, but nevertheless, striking a good combination of BPM/LPB should be possible.

Also, Axx is one of those relative commands that you can “stack”.
So it’s possible to combine several Axx to form more strange arps… hard to control, though :slight_smile:

I tried using phrases, but the problem is that different notes require different arpeggio-combination (A47 and A37 for example) to sound right and thus would require different phrases. I don’t know, just think it would be nice if you could set the arpeggio speed not depending on ticks.

Wait… isn’t there an Arpeggio plugin somewhere?

You could use phrases though, it’s much more convenient than dealing with the arp commands imo, the two methods do sound identical. The options are many, you may for instance use the keymap to have a different phrase on each key or you could use the instrument macros to automate the switching between different arp structures/speeds. If you’re lazy you can make one arp phrase and select a scale so that your arp never goes out of tune. I only wished the scales were automatable.

I only wished the scales were automatable.

Good news then! Because they are - you can send CC#14 (key) and CC#15 (mode) to any instrument to switch scales while playing.

The following picture is grabbed from the Redux quickstart PDF (last chapter: MIDI implementation)

you may for instance use the keymap to have a different phrase on each key

Oh… didn’t know you could do that. That would definitely solve my problem. Gonna try that out later.

Good news then! Because they are - you can send CC#14 (key) and CC#15 (mode) to any instrument to switch scales while playing.

The following picture is grabbed from the Redux quickstart PDF (last chapter: MIDI implementation)

Aha, i rarely use the midi device so i haven’t noticed this being possible. :slight_smile:

Well, no wonder really.

I know I’ve mentioned it here on the forum, and that it’s part of the release notes + Redux PDF… but otherwise that information is hard to come by.

You inspire me to do a full-blown MIDI implementation chart and hand it over to Duncan (who is responsible for the Renoise WIKI)

You know, which CC message to send to get a pentatonic major, and so on…

Sup… http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/MIDI#MIDI_Messages