assign samples to their own individual track

absolutely good, it would be very useful also for refreshing old fasttracker modules and it was the standard mixer destination in skale tracker, +1!

really appreciate your favor for the idea. i wish more people would hop on the bandwagon so itll actually happen by the time renoise 3 is released lol. i doubt it will happen, but a man can dream cant he?

1 Like

I really thought I already said this here; I voted though. It’s a shame that the ‘standard mixer destination’ exists for VSTi’s but not for Renoise sample instruments.

Bump (Maybe for the new update?)

1 Like

This is what the Output section in the Effects panel of the Sampler does.

4 Likes

@Achenar I don’t think this is what @Yung_McBucket was referring to. I too have a new question based on his request (Assign instrument samples to specific tracks when recording). This would and should be a feature if it’s not already.

Seems like it does fit the bill of what yung was looking for

i want each drum sample on it’s own track, not everything on one! so like after im done recording my drumloops live, each drumhit/sample will be placed in its own track. this would be useful for mixing and apply effects to your drum sounds, because if you have EVERY drum sound on one track then all of the sounds are manipulated if you add an effect to the track and i dont want that. i wanna be able to have full control over each drum sample with ease.

Sampler effects fits it to a T …aside from each sound needing to be on its own track.

Is there any way to know if this will be added to the roadmap? It was originally posted in 2013 yet still an outstanding feature.

This can be controlled through a LUA tool. Each sample is assigned a range of notes (Keyzones). It can be one note or several contiguous notes. Each note range can be routed to a specific track. OSC could be used to record notes and make them sound too. Maybe some expert LUA programmer is willing to build it…

However, I think this should be under the hood. Renoise covers this with routing the tracks in the sampler’s effect chains. All notes are written on the same track but they sound on other tracks (on routed tracks).

But the user will want to have the notes arranged on different tracks by playing a single instrument. This would be another one of those details that would help to perfect the tracker, instead of focusing on other things like the native creation of a piano roll, which is something in high demand and that will never happen.

I guess I’m not understanding the distinction based on what I’m reading. You want the audio playback for each sample to be directed to its own track? The output routing allows for this.

1 Like

+1 on under the hood (make it native).

@Achenar here’s the detail. I’m going to use a drum kit based instrument with multiple samples in it. I want to configure Renoise that when I start real-time (live - not step by step) recording, I want my kick drum events to be recorded in one track, I want my snare drum events to be recorded in another track and so on. it isn’t an audio routing thing, it’s a live recording thing.

Where this feature being missing is best observed is when you try to lay down a drum track by focusing on just the kicks, then moving to the next track and focusing on the snares etc. The end product is ok. But then you try ad-libbing a drum grove using the keys or pads. The latter sounds better and is more creative and fluid. But you can’t get that without jumbling all the trigger events into one track.

It could be something like this.

• The notes C-0 through D # 0 of the first sample would be recorded on the current track.
  • The notes E-0 through G # 0 of the second sample would be recorded on track 02.
  • The notes A-0 through C # 1 of the third sample would be recorded on track 03.
  • The notes G # 2 to B-2 of the sample “elm_b_shrtsaw_1” would be recorded on track 05.

In the sample box, if the user selects several samples randomly, he will be able to change from the “Recording” popup the routing for the recording of the notes inside the pattern editor for all the selected samples at the same time. Same as the rest of the controls, like the Key-> Pitch switch.

If all samples are in “Current”, the track routing column would not appear.

The dilemma of this matter is that, users intend to build their drum kits (or other kinds of instruments), within the same instrument, for example instrument 01. So all notes are always recorded on the current track, as it works now Renoise.

On the other hand, if the user builds his drum kit through several contiguous instruments, it is possible to route the recording of each instrument to a specific track (in MIDI / Input Devide). But then Renoise forces the user to build their drum kits on separate instruments, and that breaks the usefulness of the keyzones and their note arrangements.

The idea is simple and very old. Allow the notes of the same instrument to be recorded on the fly spread over different tracks according to the needs of the composer. That it is not necessary for the user to change the track to record, step by step.

1 Like

This already exists and works perfectly within the Piano Roll Editor tool, in the Chord Builder module. At least it allows dividing the 10 octaves into 16 zones, each one assignable to a track.

But it would be very welcome if it was under the hood.

1 Like

Are you saying you want automatic recording of the actual notes into different tracks? Is this for purely cosmetic reasons? Otherwise I don’t see why the example below is unacceptable.

Hi @Achenar. No that’s not it. I can do that, but it’s not what I’m after. I want to let loose on the kit in real-time and record it live. But I want to be able to configure (before I start recording) which track each sample will be recorded into. Imagine asking a drummer in a studio to only record their kicks for the whole song, then getting them to record their snare, then their hats. It wouldn’t work and that’s the only current option in Renoise. So the engineer records each mic to a dedicated track so that he can control them in the mix. I’m looking for the same deal in Renoise. I know I can jam directly into Renoise but it just dumps all the triggers into one track, creating multiple note columns where needed meaning I have to manually move the individual components into individual tracks afterwards which is a PITA.

BTW - thanks for taking time to create the vid.

@Achenar I re-read your email and yes, perhaps it is just cosmetic. I see where you’re coming from in that I can control and mix the individual instrument tracks by using your method. It would be nice though if I could route the triggers during record just like we can route the audio currently.

Just tried recording a drum track tonight live and this is what was recorded. So many triggers and OFF’s were cutting samples off before they ended which made it all sound really jankey. Any chance this feature request can make it into production? After all it was raised 8 years ago.

In your specific situation, dealing with Note-Offs for drum samples is very easy:

https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Sampler#Sample_Properties

Trigger: When One-Shot is enabled, Note-Off (key release) messages are ignored and the sample continues playing. This is incredibly useful for triggering samples from external hardware that is not traditionally ‘held down’ e.g. drum pads.

1 Like

Yes, I knew about that and had all of the samples set with One-Shot enabled. Yet still they were cut short when played back. If they could be assigned to a dedicated recording track it would solve the issue.