assign samples to their own individual track

It could be something like this.

• The notes C-0 through D # 0 of the first sample would be recorded on the current track.
  • The notes E-0 through G # 0 of the second sample would be recorded on track 02.
  • The notes A-0 through C # 1 of the third sample would be recorded on track 03.
  • The notes G # 2 to B-2 of the sample “elm_b_shrtsaw_1” would be recorded on track 05.

In the sample box, if the user selects several samples randomly, he will be able to change from the “Recording” popup the routing for the recording of the notes inside the pattern editor for all the selected samples at the same time. Same as the rest of the controls, like the Key-> Pitch switch.

If all samples are in “Current”, the track routing column would not appear.

The dilemma of this matter is that, users intend to build their drum kits (or other kinds of instruments), within the same instrument, for example instrument 01. So all notes are always recorded on the current track, as it works now Renoise.

On the other hand, if the user builds his drum kit through several contiguous instruments, it is possible to route the recording of each instrument to a specific track (in MIDI / Input Devide). But then Renoise forces the user to build their drum kits on separate instruments, and that breaks the usefulness of the keyzones and their note arrangements.

The idea is simple and very old. Allow the notes of the same instrument to be recorded on the fly spread over different tracks according to the needs of the composer. That it is not necessary for the user to change the track to record, step by step.

1 Like

This already exists and works perfectly within the Piano Roll Editor tool, in the Chord Builder module. At least it allows dividing the 10 octaves into 16 zones, each one assignable to a track.

But it would be very welcome if it was under the hood.

1 Like

Are you saying you want automatic recording of the actual notes into different tracks? Is this for purely cosmetic reasons? Otherwise I don’t see why the example below is unacceptable.

Hi @Achenar. No that’s not it. I can do that, but it’s not what I’m after. I want to let loose on the kit in real-time and record it live. But I want to be able to configure (before I start recording) which track each sample will be recorded into. Imagine asking a drummer in a studio to only record their kicks for the whole song, then getting them to record their snare, then their hats. It wouldn’t work and that’s the only current option in Renoise. So the engineer records each mic to a dedicated track so that he can control them in the mix. I’m looking for the same deal in Renoise. I know I can jam directly into Renoise but it just dumps all the triggers into one track, creating multiple note columns where needed meaning I have to manually move the individual components into individual tracks afterwards which is a PITA.

BTW - thanks for taking time to create the vid.

@Achenar I re-read your email and yes, perhaps it is just cosmetic. I see where you’re coming from in that I can control and mix the individual instrument tracks by using your method. It would be nice though if I could route the triggers during record just like we can route the audio currently.

Just tried recording a drum track tonight live and this is what was recorded. So many triggers and OFF’s were cutting samples off before they ended which made it all sound really jankey. Any chance this feature request can make it into production? After all it was raised 8 years ago.

In your specific situation, dealing with Note-Offs for drum samples is very easy:

https://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Sampler#Sample_Properties

Trigger: When One-Shot is enabled, Note-Off (key release) messages are ignored and the sample continues playing. This is incredibly useful for triggering samples from external hardware that is not traditionally ‘held down’ e.g. drum pads.

1 Like

Yes, I knew about that and had all of the samples set with One-Shot enabled. Yet still they were cut short when played back. If they could be assigned to a dedicated recording track it would solve the issue.

I see the NNA isn’t set to Continue, though.

But again, this only works for sample based instruments. Consider a VST drum kit.

I think the best way to go about this is to route the instrument’s virtual piano notes to the tracks. It would be “similar” to the keymap of the phrases.

In this way, a note or a group of notes would always be recorded accumulatively on a specific track. This would be valid for any type of instrument, be it the native sampler or a VSTi.

As I said before, this approach can be built with a LUA tool, using trigger_on, trigger_off from the OSC. However, it would be a nice feature if it were native.

Operation in native recording is simple. The cursor would remain on the current track, but the notes would each be deposited on the routed tracks, not forgetting their note off.

When you see this work, like Chord Builder does, you realize how good it is.

Ideally, you want your notes to be sorted in some way. Renoise records the notes cumulatively in the note columns. Afterwards it is difficult to visualize which notes are corresponding to each element of a drum kit, for example.
When using separate tracks, it is unlikely that more than 12 columns of notes will be needed to accumulate them if that were the case.

If implemented, there should be a new track routing panel for each note of the 120 available notes of the virtual piano. All this information should be stored in the song in some way, as yet another feature of the instrument.

With vsti’s its actually possible, no? At least when the vsti supports several output busses

But one thing is the routing of the audio (where the note is going to sound) and quite another thing is where the note is deposited in the pattern editor.

What is intended here is a more orderly and controlled way of depositing notes on different tracks, not “routing the audio”.

Also true, tho when its just because of being able to process sounds separately this would work i guess?

Any way of getting this into the roadmap so?