Automation - add option to record with linear interpolation mode

Hello,
when you modulate any parameter in realtime(by midi or right mouse button), modulation envelope is set to points. So if you record automatization through 8 patterns, you have to change every one individually to linear or curve if you dont wanna have points and jumpy values.It seems like nobody is using automatization in Renoise no more :-P? This is annoying as hell.

Btw.
When you paint automatization by mouse it is set to linear. Ok, but
There one other thing. When you select any envelope interpolation it should stay like it did with 2.8. It should be turned just for that one pattern where you select it.

Thank you

Btw2. Is there anybody who is ok with current behaviour and why?

Depending on the kind of controller that you are recording data from, it would be wrong to record automation in line or cubic interpolation. Using points simply reflects what you did - so it records that.

An example: you are recording two instant gain changes in some DSP device. One in the beginning of the pattern to 0 dB, one with 12 dB at the end of the pattern. Without creating additional points, using line interpolation would have nothing to do with what you did.

Ok. But your example is not something that I usually do (opening filter, changing decay of reverb, moving by eq band) so Renoise should behaves like every other daw out there imho.
And you can not make fader movement from 0db to 12db without any points between.

Why manually created DSP automatization create line (so if i have 0db on the beggining and 12db on the end of pattern, there will be line by default) that i cant change to points or curve until i paint it?
But by midi it creates point by default?
I think that midi is better for smooth curves and mouse for precise point so…

Can you make some DEFAULT option in setting for interpolation maybe?
Or option to transform interpolation of recorded modulation through patterns?

(Controller: Korg Taktile, moving by fader)

I guess being able to properly record with linear interpolation would be more than just enabling the linear mode - it would require a slight change to how values are recorded.

Basically, Renoise would need to keep track of whether the parameter had received automation in the previous line, and - if not - create an extra point at that position. Otherwise, you’d get that gradual change that taktik is referring to.

Ok.
There is my situtation:

1. I insert FX, play pattern and move by some parameter: by midi or by right mouse button.

2. My movement is written into points. There is one point for every line (i am very surprised that values are snapped and so non-accurate).
    So the playback of modulation is very jumpy (I use LPB4) like it is with pattern commands.

3. The only solution how to replicate my movement is switching interpolation to linear or curve so it connect points.
    When i do it looks almost same like automatization in any other daw.

But yeah, i have to add or correct one or two points because of that gradual change.
creating that extra point would be nice solution, or better timing like with other DAWs)

But what is better?
Torecord points, have jumpy values, so you have to switch to linear for every pattern and there make changes.
Or
Have linear right away?
Or
Have posibility to change interpolation through patterns (Yes!)

Btw. Danoise do you automatize in Renoise? You make very good songs so i would love to know if you are ok with it.

Hm, even with high-res recording, the linear mode issue would still be present - if only a bit less prominent.
Still, both are good ideas - high res is definitely near the top of my personal wishlist, this is one case where “tools filling out the gap” does not seem right.

Btw. Danoise do you automatize in Renoise? You make very good songs so i would love to know if you are ok with it.

Thanks man! And yeah, of course I use automation.
My workflow is perhaps a bit alternative as I often automate stuff through metadevices (especially the LFO). I basically like to record something, but retain a bit of flexibility - often I would like to perhaps add some movement/variation or tweak the overall level a bit (which you can do with “offset” in the LFO or the Meta mixer).

Another fine trick is to paste automation data into the LFO device, and trigger those like an “automation clip” by sending a “reset LFO” command. That’s more like a workaround, I guess, but still pretty damn useful.

Thank you, these are nice tips but not very usefull in my situation :-(.

I use Renoise for two or more years but until now I never recorded automatization through the whole song.
I was doing vocal riding before exporting and was very surprised that i have to change every pattern individualy because of unusable points.
So I deleted them and exported individual tracks and made automatization in Tracktion that doesnt have mentioned problem. Its line just stays in fader position and begins from it when you move by fader, so no long and small gradual changes you and taktik are afraid of :-).
Also no posibility to change from 0 to 40 without anything between like Renoise does.

I can live with it but i wanted to go back to 3.1 from Tracktion + Redux (I was waiting for Duplex and was hoping that it will give me simillar workflow i used to in last months) without chaning my new workflow :frowning:

My workflow is perhaps a bit alternative as I often automate stuff through metadevices (especially the LFO). I basically like to record something, but retain a bit of flexibility - often I would like to perhaps add some movement/variation or tweak the overall level a bit (which you can do with “offset” in the LFO or the Meta mixer).

Another fine trick is to paste automation data into the LFO device, and trigger those like an “automation clip” by sending a “reset LFO” command. That’s more like a workaround, I guess, but still pretty damn useful.

Thank you! This was great tip. I use it a lot right now!

I am opening this topic again because ive found one interesting thing Danoise,

Duplex does exactly what i want
Just map controller, turn on automation recording in its setting and voila.

BUT
it also records hex data into fx collumn so it is not very useful…

F**ck i cant get used to this “point paradigma” :slight_smile:

Wrote about this thing about automation so many times :))))

Duplex does exactly what i want

BUT

I’m guessing you still have the controller selected in Renoise MIDI preferences? You need to go with one or the other…

I’m guessing you still have the controller selected in Renoise MIDI preferences? You need to go with one or the other…

btw it works like it should:

Yes, i did. It works great, thanks.

btw
changing switches like filter type create points

things like cutoff are linear interpolation

great again