(B8) An Osx Rewire Question

I’ve been using b8 in OSX 10.5.6. I currently have yet to install b9.

This is preliminary as I’m not sure if this is the cause.
I made a duplicate of renoise_reg, so I can run 2 instances of renoise.

renoise wants to install the rewire engine each time I open renoise.

Should I cancel this?

I don’t currently have any other rewire hosts to check if rewire is working or not.

ok I checked in b9, it does this above also.

I guess I should maybe reevaluate this, so new questions would be:

Am I the only one getting this?

IF so, is it because I don’t have permissions straight?

I don’t recall having to mess with perms really too much in OSX, except for certain installations, my user is admin too.

Thanks.

i didnt actually try this, but far as i know, you can’t rewire renoise to renoise … (which would be sexeh if it would hehe ) so, yes, cancel the rewire question

Your not the only one.

I don’t usually cancel it.

I don’t know why it does that.

Every Renoise.app has its own ReWire engine and will try to install this one as the one that you can select from other ReWire masters - when selecting “Renoise” as ReWire slave. Installing the ReWire engine needs authentication because we need to install it at a low system level on OSX.

This mainly is done to allow having more than one Renoise version installed and being able to use all those as ReWire clients. As soon as you launch Renoise 2.1, it will register, install itself as the ReWire client. When you start Renoise 2.1 again, it already has registered itself so you won’t see the authentication dialog again. When now starting Renoise 2.5, it will try to register itself, overriding the previous Renoise 2.1 ReWire engine.

If you don’t want tu use multiple Renoise versions at once, but just want to start Renoise 2.5 multiple times, then you can avoid this authentication thing by avoiding to duplicate the Renoise.app. Instead of duplicating it, open up the terminal and launch Renoise multiple times there:

“/Applications/Renoise.app/Contents/MacOS/Renoise &” → launches Renoise the first time
“/Applications/Renoise.app/Contents/MacOS/Renoise &” → launches a new Renoise instance from the same .app bundle

“&” makes sure you get back to the prompt in the terminal. Starts Renoise without waiting for it to quit. You could also write this down as a small script that can be started from the finder, so you don’t have to use the terminal to do this again and again.

Let me know if you need more info about this please…

@Taktik, I’ll get rid of the duplicates, do this from the terminal and report back.

@promnesia, I’ve been working with different ways of controlling renoise with renoise over MIDI.
This thread is only about wondering why I was needing to install the rewire engine each time I load renoise(s).

Thanks Taktik! :)

worked perfect.

The first time it needed to install rewire, the second, it no longer asked anymore.

@00.1, if you open Terminal, just drop this into the Terminal:

/Applications/Renoise_Reg.app/Contents/MacOS/Renoise &  

after that, to get more instances of renoise. press apple key + T
this will open a new tab in Terminal, and just drop the above into it.

no more asking for rewire engine to install. :)

can also use this for ease:

/Applications/Renoise_Reg.app/Contents/MacOS/Renoise | /Applications/Renoise_Reg.app/Contents/MacOS/Renoise  

I had to move it to Applications and rename it because I usually have Renoise in my desktop folder. I quit both instances from Renoise, not from the Terminal though.

I usually “Secure Empty Trash” duplicates, should I not do that ?

I never use Terminal on a regular basis, what search terms or specific resources should I be aware of (other than “Mac Terminal”) ?

Terminal is pretty cool, it’s located in Applications/Utilities.
It’s just called Terminal.

If only for organizational purposes, should probably just keep apps in the Applications folder.

You can organize your Applications folder too, if you want. It’s just nice to have all apps in one spot, to access them from the finder and terminal like this.

Oh yeah also, you don’t really need to remove the duplicates if you don’t want to.
It also, won’t hurt anything if you do. Secure empty trash is fine also.

Using this different method is only to remove the need to install the rewire engine each time we open renoise.

Oh yeah also, you don’t really need to remove the duplicates if you don’t want to.
It also, won’t hurt anything if you do. Secure empty trash is fine also.

Using this different method is only to remove the need to install the rewire engine each time we open renoise.