Band (Notch) Pass Filter Has Inverted Q

As the title. For the Band Pass option of the Filter device the Q parameter works in reverse to how it should. IE a higher Q should be a smaller bandwidth but it’s the other way around.

If you ignore the motion of the slider and just focus on the actual displayed value of the Q parameter itself, then isn’t it already behaving as it should?

I can agree that it’s a bit odd to have the slider flipped for BP vs BS, but in both cases a higher Q value actually results in a narrower bandwidth, doesn’t it?

Ahh I see the numbers on the slider have changed with +14 on the left for some reason. I have to say that is very counter-intuitive, especially as the values recalculate to slider position so you don’t keep the same shape in reverse. Can you explain any benefit of this?

Attached is a file that should demonstrate what I mean.

I must admit that I don’t know the exact reasoning behind it, as I had nothing to do with the development of the Filter device itself. Just one of those things I guess :)

I’ve personally never thought about it too much. When I’m going for a specific sound I just quickly tweak the sliders and reference the graph to get a rough visual idea of where I am, and then I fine-tune the sliders more carefully to hone it in. The precise value of the Q parameter itself is pretty much irrelevant to me - I just focus on the overall sound of the device itself and tune it until the output feels right.

But, yeah… quirky behaviour. We can certainly try to take a look at this in a future version if it’s genuinely annoying to a lot of people.

I generally use a point on an EQ5/10 which is why I’ve never noticed it before and doubt it’ll really get in my way personally. EQ is labelled in Bandwidth (Octaves?) rather than Q but when you change gain from positive to negative the Q stays the same, rather than changing at 0dB. Just one of those strange things you come across :)