Basic: how to delete a selection ?

Hello,

There is a portion of a wave that is selected that should be removed. Right-clicking on it shows that the delete option is greyed out. I would have thought that pressing del or having the option enable was a given. So, how to delete this selection ? - see attached.

Also, are there tutorials out there that shows how to do all that cool stuff with samples ? Got a sample pack with interesting stuff that I would like to use like so many people do, creatively, but haven’t found so far really good tutorials that shows how to make the best of samples, be then voices, loops, ambient, etc…

Edit: Just did it in Renoise. Make the selection on the wave, press ‘del’ and done. However in Redux when a slection is made on a wave most options are greyed out. Why ?

It looks like you might be working with a sliced sample?

If so, you can only make edits to the original data found in the first sample slot.

For the slices found in the other sample slots, you may copy data from them (to paste elsewhere), but you may not edit the sliced sample data directly.

Thanks. Yes, this is the case, working from a sliced sample. So basically the sliced sample has to be copied ‘elsewhere’ and then edited. In Renoise it works directly though. Why not the same behaviour ? In Redux then with this limitation it makes sense that the Copy action is one of the very few available. So I copied the sliced sample. Now, where can it be pasted ? The paste option is greyed out in the Samples column at left.

The paste option is greyed out in the Samples column at left.

The instrument must be either all unique samples, or one sample with several slices. It cannot have a mixture of both, which is why you cannot paste or insert a new sample into a sliced instrument. All of the sample assignments are handled automatically when creating or deleting slice markers within the original sample.

The editing restriction exists and functions the same way in both Renoise and Redux.

The slice markers are essentially just virtual points within the original sample. When you view a slice, you’re not seeing a unique chunk of sample data that can be freely edited on its own, you’re simply seeing a reference to part of the original sample. If you wish to make destructive edits, then you can simply bring the first original sample slot into view, and make edits there.

Alternatively, you can right-click (or command-click) the sample slots displayed on the left side of the instrument editor, and choose the option to “Destructively Render Slices”. This will split all of the slice markers out into individual samples, essentially converting it back to a “normal” instrument where you can freely edit each sample again.

tl;dr — Simply bring the first sample slot into view within the waveform editor. You can make destructive edits there, add or remove slice markers, and so on. If the slice markers are getting on your nerves, then use the “destructively render slices” function to convert them into real samples again.

Ah ! This is what the DRS option is for. - thanks.

As you see, much of a beginner regarding this. I would like to be doing all that creative stuff with samples - are there tutorials you’d recommend to get up to speed with ‘modern’ sample audio work ? Finding examples of already made great sample work is easy although rare are the ones explaining in detail how it is made, I find. And with Renoise/Redux at that. However, any general material (eg. other software) would also be interesting to see what can be done with samples.

I browsed many of the tutorials made by Emre - very nice and a good range of learning material in there.

Emre: thanks for sharing !

http://vorpalsound.com/category/vs/