Beats With More Swing

hi

ive been doing a lot of jungle type tunes using speed 3 at about 180 bpm, i usually do my snare rolls using sample offset like 0940 0941 0942 0943 0942 0941 0940 i find this gives them a nice bouncy quality.

But what i really want to be doing is making beats that really swing like jazz drumming, with drum rolls and beats that sound like squarepusher at his funkyest.

are there any tips? ive been playing around a little with time signatures and bpms but i really need some guidance.

Either set “groove” in Song Properties or use the breakcore trick i.e. 180 * 2 = 360, and set your pattern highlights to x * 2 as well, this will give you more resolution to work with, and possibly a headache. Load up BOTB’s track in the latest beatbattle 5 to see an extreme example.

You could also try using Quadruple BPM’s…

The Renoise’s built in groove is lacking in this respect because it grooves the whole song… but in some cases that is cool too…

But by using quadruple bpm’s you can swing only a selected track.

You can actually get over this quadruple BPM thing also by using a combination of speeds 1 and 2 on every other line, but using a speed of 6 and 4 x BPM will give you the “most sharp” grid possible for quantizing in renoise, because that allows you to use the delay command also on the notes…

What’s good about using speeds 1 and 2 is that it will keep the original tempo of the song so that plug-ins will sync ok. But the compromise is not to be able to use the delay note command…

I’ll try to post a screenshot or video on this soonish…

[quote="#<0x00005628525ead00>, post:3, topic:19499"]

I’ll try to post a screenshot or video on this soonish…
[/quote]

Thanks alot, looking foreword to it,. sounds very interesting - yeah i’m not sure groove settings is the way to go.

A screenshot or something would be great, im quite new to renoise, im still finding out what it can do. I also struggle with the terminology a bit so examples and demos are the best way for me to learn.

Also thanks Connor, I have a feeling your advice might be just what im looking for, i’m downloading beatbattle 5 using Bittorent at the moment.

I accidentaly posted this in the wrong topic, should have gone in “tips and tricks”, oh well…</0x00005628525ead00>

The BOTB song is Syntherzupier. It’s clocked at 960 BPM. But if you close your eyes and listen to the bongo fills, and the song in general, it doesn’t feel 960 at all. BOTB uses speed as a substitute for resolution. It’s how like you can mix a 90 BPM hip hop song into a 180 drum & bass song flawlessly.

If you are looking for a reasonable approach, because there is no way I could write a track like BOTB (mad respect), my track in the BB5 pack is a jungle track, but the breaks are mostly sample based. Instead of trying to compose an entire track at 960 BPM, spend a few days programing breaks in a 360+ BPM template, render these breaks to samples to build a unique breaks library, then use the samples in a track of 180 BPM.

Cheers.

Every renoise track can be expanded, pattern & bpm doubled to the max, eventually. Writing/tracking on quadrillion bpm, speed 1 straight from the start isn’t necesary at all and pretty time consuming.

Start out with a funky groove on a higher speed setting, lower bpm’s first, get those beat grids stuck in your head and gradually increase resolution so you can offbeat or add in more shit later on.

Also check the Kaneel and Jubal tracks in BB5 for glitchy awesomeness, and technique.

I’ve checked all of the tracks out that were suggested and they are great, i’ve been studying them closely. Thank you all for your input i’m going to try all of the suggestions in this thread.

That botb tune is insane!!! i dont think i’ll be tracking with that kind of speed anytime soon, waaaay too fast for my humble brain.

Make it 80 rows?

would be very nice if each track could have
independent automatic humanize and anti quantisation parameters
for live playing simulation

in my opinion groove parmeters are very uncomfortable
and its a litle bit different thing to antiquantization

if you set your patternlength to 30, 60, C0, etc… and track your
beats as if they are in a very fast 3/4 (or is it 6/8?), you can program
your own kind of swing, without having to guess what those bars do in
the groove set. just fiddle with the speed and bpm to find the right
flavour afterwards.

here’s an example:
http://www.yomirecords.com/botb/meerjazz.rar

on the bpm issue:
the reason for 960 bpm is so I could program some of the effects without using the automation, because it only works effeciently for
bigger swoops, at least for me. it’s not a time consuming job at all to do it, it’s just a matter of knowing where to place your accents in
whatever, because basically it’s just zooming in to place events where you could never do so in the realtime bpm.
thanks for the props Dac, but the high speed bpm thing is overrated, it just looks very fancy with the scrolling, but even that is a matter
of getting used to it. BPM is just another tool. I remember the first time I saw 400 bpm at speed 3 …

Add speed changing to every line if you use 4 ticks per beat. When your base speed is 6, add speed changing to master so that the 1st tick is 8, 2nd 4, 3rd 8, 4th 4 etc. Please experiment with the swinging by changing the values to 5 and 7 etc. If you use 8 ticks per beat and base speed is 3 then use speed change to every other tick and use values 2 and 4. This gives a really nice house swingygroove. It’s an old tracker trick.

Hi, there were some problems with my internet provider on the weekend, so sorry for the delay on the pictures…

At first… The tracking resolution in the first picture is -as you can see- 4 times the normal. The concept of combining speeds 1 & 2 is also used on the first track.

Note: This is the way to keep all your vst plug-ins synced to the correct tempo (which in this case is 134BPM) and you still get 4 times better resolution to tracking than usual. (this is because speed 1/2 equals 1,5 - which is actually half of speed of 3, which in turn also equals the speed of 6)

On the second picture we have the same beat - but with quadruple tempo in use (the BPM is now 4x134 =536). There is also an additional groove that you can see behind the “grooved hits” done by using the delay command (D1 - D6). Because the actual speed is still 6, you can now have 6 times more resolution per tick than you would have if using the divided speed of 1 and 2 as in the first picture. Not also that if you have delay plug-ins or other stuff that sync to tempo, they’ll have to be adjusted accordingly :)

Personally I perefer to use this style…

lol, awsome i love it, i had this tune going around my head all morning,highly creative stuff and thanks for the advice.

thanks 029 for the screen caps!

[quote="#<0x000056284d585180>, post:13, topic:19499"]

On the second picture we have the same beat - but with quadruple tempo in use (the BPM is now 4x134 =536). There is also an additional groove that you can see behind the “grooved hits” done by using the delay command (D1 - D6). Because the actual speed is still 6, you can now have 6 times more resolution per tick than you would have if using the divided speed of 1 and 2 as in the first picture. Not also that if you have delay plug-ins or other stuff that sync to tempo, they’ll have to be adjusted accordingly :)

Personally I perefer to use this style…
[/quote]

I believe I have just learned my future tracking style… thanks!</0x000056284d585180>