beatStep pad flash / sample playback

I try to create a tool to turn my beatstep by Arturia into a step sequencer that writes the drum notes straight into the pattern. Overall it is working quite allright, yet there are just two major issues:

• I want to play drum samples to preview / change the current editted samples within the drum instrument. Changing works, but I don’t know how to create a script to play a sample

• I want to make the corresponding pad on the beatstep flash when the sample gets played by Renoise. I don’t know how to create a callback routine that gets called whenever a sample gets triggered.

Anybody dealt with these issues?

• I want to play drum samples to preview / change the current editted samples within the drum instrument. Changing works, but I don’t know how to create a script to play a sample

• I want to make the corresponding pad on the beatstep flash when the sample gets played by Renoise. I don’t know how to create a callback routine that gets called whenever a sample gets triggered.

You can trigger samples by creating a MIDI note message, and pass it to the internal OSC server in Renoise.

When done like this, you can decide which track you want to trigger the note on as well (and in edit mode, notes are recorded, too).

Source code for Duplex should contain some useful hints

https://github.com/renoise/xrnx/blob/master/Tools/com.renoise.Duplex.xrnx/Duplex/OscClient.lua

As for a callback for notes, such a thing does not exist atm. Closest thing you can get is to scan the pattern as you are playing, and highlight those notes on the controller.

It won’t be very precise, but I guess it’s “just visualization” so timing being a bit wonky wouldn’t be the end of the world.