Been Making a Video Game Soundtrack and Effects in Renoise

Hi! I’ve been writing a video game soundtrack and doing its sound design for a few years. Initially I was writing rock music in Cubase for it, but at some fateful point I revisited my tracker roots by taking a serious dive into Renoise. A friend remarked how much he preferred the direction things were going with a tracker and it’s been no looking back since! I loved the days of Scream Tracker and Impulse Tracker, but really hadn’t enjoyed anything since until Renoise! Totally worth the money and a joy…most of the time!

I’m using a few VST synths, a few samples, and BFD3 for most drums in the music. The sound effects have been all over the board. I went on quite a few sampling trips to have original material to mangle… birds, farm animals, tractors, and tractors, and tractors, tools, metal shops, old house sounds like door latches, and so on! With the sound effects, I’ve far preferred the approach in Renoise versus traditional DAWs. High-tempo tracker sequencing to all the sampler modulation options have made it a grand ole time!

The game itself, Blister Blight, is a 2D action-platformer, with a retro vibe and nods to Megaman and Metroidvania genres. …plenty of its own unique game-play, some RPG elements, and humor as well! It’s been a load of fun seeing all aspects morph and develop over time.

We’re at the point in the game’s development where we are starting a Kickstarter campaign to fund its completion. Our main goal is to provide the art team and lead developer the ability to work on it full-time. We aim to deliver it onto the Steam and Nintendo Switch platforms. I’m very excited about what we already have to show and am very confident in the team continuing to crank out amazing stuff. I would love for you to take a look at how far we’ve come and be on the look-out for the upcoming Kickstarter! Come discover plenty of story, art, game-play clips, and maybe even my music at: https://blisterblight.com/kickstarter/

3 Likes