Benny Benassi

BTW, now that we think of it, there must be a way to make sidechain with Renoise! Send tracks?
i just haven’t yet looked too deep into routing possibilities here (waiting for my keycode to arrive to unlock ASIO!)

Sure it’s easy to emplement Sidechain DSP in Renoise !
Gotta get it Taktik please :w00t:

hmmz benny benassy … i heard it and i say:) experiment a lot with gates and compression… you will find the sound…its all about gates and compressors there… (and expensive ones too i think, but you dont need expensive stuff to sound like that)

ceejay… can you post the rns? :slight_smile:

He actually used a SidStation for both the bassline and the leadline(s). There’s an interview over at soundonsound if I’m not mistaken.

Found your request just now.
Here it is:
http://rapidshare.de/files/7081557/stomp.rar.html
(for download choose free account mode, and wait around 40 secounds counter to link appearing)

P.S. To hear this RNS properly you’ll need z3ta+ and DiscoDSP StarDust

You want to have the same bassline ? Buy yourseffl an access virus synth and you got it ;- )

Or just use sth like discovery2, zeta+ or anything that can make good basslines.

Just use 1 saw osc. With a hihg cutoff. Add some Bass to ther track using some pluging like RBass and equalize it, compress it. You should get almost the same shitty bassline ;- ) This bass sounds like farting … purrrrt purrrrttt hehehe

I find this combination works pretty well:

Send-track your bass (high-eq’d sawtooth w/lots of Renoise’s built-in reverb) and drumline to the same channel. You can put an eq on the drumtrack to boost ~50Hz +20 dB.

Put massive compression on said sendtrack. (Low threshold, high compression, high output boost).

Extras:
• Sometimes I like to leave the attack at a full couple of milliseconds or so (gives a ‘click’ quality to the attack of every kick).
• My preferred kick drum is an overdriven 808 kick with low-pass filter on it.

Done.

For extra Benassiness, high-pass your first pattern (master effect), using automation, bring the high-pass cut-off back down to zero near over the last 2 beats.

Sometimes I find using the multiband compressor “Stardust” over the whole mix adds the final “crunch” you need.

Now you have a fairly generic ‘Benassify’ method to work with, you can play around a bit, e.g. instead of ducking out just the bassline, you can also duck out the pads too (just sendtrack those too) and maybe even vocals…

Just play around! Copy, mutate, copy mutate … -> new style? :D