Best practice for guitar recording

Hi,

I am trying to record an e-guitar, without any guitar playing skills :slight_smile: Of course I already recorded something years ago, in Logic or Cubase you can easily quantize even recorded samples, so that it will sound as I was Jimi Hendrix. I tried to slice the recorded guitar take, but 1. the auto slicing doesn’t really work at all (it will not find all transients) and 2. the slices usually are not positioned exactly like in Logic, so all “groove” or something is lost.

Could someone explain to me a good a fast way to precisely record a guitar in Renoise that is quantized?

http://tstlab.virtualcreations.de/guischrotti2.m4a

EDIT: Or should I record in Ableton, using it’s advanced quantize technics and then export to Renoise??

Thanks!

Options>Enable metronome, and in the record box enable pattern sync, hit start, hit play, then_play it until you play it correctly._

Options>Enable metronome, and in the record box enable pattern sync, hit start, hit play, then_play it until you play it correctly._

thanks, at least one automatic helper… Wish there was something like rex files with flexible transitions within one sample that are quantizeable…

edit: will this 2.8 toolhttp://www.renoise.com/tools/additional-file-format-import-support load rex files with transitions?

Although I would echo CT’s thoughts on there being no real replacement for practising and playing it as best you can, I have previously used the slice command interpolated for each line for some timing correction to help keep a sloppily played guitar part in sync like this, at 64 lines, 4LPB:

S00

S04

S08

S0C

S10

S14

S18

S1C,

etc

Obviously the more poorly played the part the more choppy it will sound. The cool thing is you can then use this sliced version to glitch the guitar with peppered pitch jumps, reversals, retriggers, etc. and each uneffected line will return to the flow of the original part. Here is an example on the acoustic guitar intro to this tune:

http://soundcloud.com/max-shuter/1066-1

Very cool track!

Thanks for the suggestions, but I need fast results. It’s not that I can’t play with fine expression, but my timing completely sucks and I would have to practice for half a year until get tight results. So I will try to record in ableton, fix the timing to perfection there thanks to its time stretching capabilities and then export the samples for Renoise… And hoping that some day the renoise developers will also care about beginning amateur live players like me with some nice time stretching / microtome slicing whatever approach.

Well this is the new autotalent for guitar players?

Although the idea of having some tool to mess with timing of samples sounds interesting. Not just for correcting poor playing skills on some instrument, but also to radically change timings of any sampled stuff that can’t be chopped up due to constant noise going on. Used more careful the same technique could be used to add somekind of custom “groove” to loops, or counteract some groove to straighten it up. I imagine this like having lots of markers in a sample, and a second lane or overlay where you could shift the markers to your preference, and then running a dynamic timestretcher algo over the whole shit, bending the original sample so that the markers are shifted into new places without changing pitch or producing gaps. I guess something like this would be what you’re after.

One thing I actually would very much recommend, is running Reaper, and rewiring Renoise as slave. This will let you at Reaper’s audio tracks, which gives you a “takes” feature. Takes are awesome, and utilizing takes is the proper way to solve your problem. Set a loop and just play it over and over and over and eventually you should get a good take you are proud of. This will be much better than quantizing a sloppy performance. The recording will have life and humanization, and won’t have any artifacts from timestretching.

Ok.

Now the following questions appear to me:

1. If I sync start/end while recording, why the stop is also synced and the recording is not stopped immediately? It also takes quite some time after stopped until the sample will appear…

2. Is there a way to control the start/stop button with a foot switch that is connected via midi?

3. Can I select a port of a sample and easily move this part in the sample?

What I do is just click the stop recording button instead of the stop button. You can this to midi. However the song will keep playing. You may be able to assign both of these to the same midi control and that would take care of it.

I don’t have an issue with the sample taking time to appear, for me it is instantaneous, maybe an issue with your machine?

You have to use cut and paste. Might be easier to use slices. I don’t like doing either because it sounds shitty. When possible you really want to have one continuously recorded section untouched by editing. I actually prefer to start recording a little bit before where I want to start playing, so that the first transient can possibly start a fraction of a second before the perfectly quantized start of the pattern. If you try to start playing exactly at the start of the pattern you often times will lose a tiny fraction of the first transient and it’ll sound off. Which is why I really prefer recording in Reaper. You’re not bound to starting in pattern chunks, you can start recording anywhere and still be synced and still have a precount on the metronome.

Hm regarding the timeout, I am on Mac and use 32 bit version, also since osx 10.9.4, hd memory wrapping is kind of slow. Maybe I should buy some ssd… Osx 10.6.8 was a lot of faster. Maybe it’s my system, yes.

I tried to fix the timing using copy paste in the sample editor, which resulted in loss of groove and nasty clicks. :frowning:

I will ask a friend if he can play in the same way but better…