Best way to align song settings to an existing song or sample?

My use cases:

• I record the basic idea of a song with a mic, and I want to use it a basis and continue from Renoise.
  • I want to remix a song, and bring in the full song or stems into Renoise to build on top.

Is there an automated way to do this? I’d also settle for a methodical, but effective and reliable way to do this manually.

My current process is to guesstimate the BPM (or look it up if it’s a known song), then fiddle with the sample start, or the delay column until it is sort of aligned. Problem is it’s sometimes hard to pin down, and can drift over time. With beat detection I assume it would be possible to automatically analyze the whole song sample and set up the settings so the pattern never drifts from it and is aligned.

Also, is there an effective way to fill a track with a long song sample, so wherever I start playback that track will resume at that spot? (I could fill the pattern with notes with sample offsets, but that would be really tedious.)

yes, enable autoseek on the sample and it will playback from whatever song position you choose.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I was looking for! It even carries on across patterns. I love it!

Thank you very much!

1 Like

I was hoping there is some built-in assisted way in Renoise to determine the BPM, but I ended up following this tutorial for Reaper, then copy the values over and replicate the slices in Renoise:

This process ended up being quite versatile and intuitive. The sample I tried to match turned out be an interesting challenge. The down beat was hard to see in the waveform, the song had a very slight tempo change somewhere and both BPMs were fractional. But in the end, the pattern ended up aligned to the sample perfectly throughout (well, as far as I can tell).

I guess I could do the whole process with Renoise and a calculator, but it was a bit less tedious this way.

Even though the autoseek option worked well, I ended up slicing the sample to 4 bar segments (after the BPM was set, I could turn on slice snapping to beat). Then I could chop the sample within the pattern with the S## sample offset command.

1 Like