Better audio device settings

So, in Renoise we have this very very simple audio device settings panel:

Zrzut ekranu 2022-04-23 o 09.19.25

Whereas most other software that I know which deals with latency settings etc, present those settings a bit different, eg:

Zrzut ekranu 2022-04-23 o 09.16.23

You set the buffer in samples, and depending on the selected sample rate, you’re presented with different latency values (int the example above is 44,1khz and beneath is 96khz)

Zrzut ekranu 2022-04-23 o 09.17.56

Could we have something like that in Renoise? Are those latency values that we select now even correct?

I think exact by 32 divisible sample sizes are not required these days anymore? And since the actual latency at 48kHz is exactly the double of 96kHz, I think it makes very sense to only use ms, because it is then sample rate independent and results in the same felt latency. And then in your shown latency list, higher settings jump by immense steps, e.g. from 23.4 to 46.4 ms then. So with a cpu intense song, you would be annoyed by the raw raster at the higher range.

PS: Maybe Renoise internally is rounding the latency to a 32th divisible latency then.

Well you might be right - I don’t really know, those other preferences seem more precise to me, but it doesn’t have to mean they really are. Also it might work different depending on system/audio driver type… I’m curious :wink: