[BIOS setting] Behringer Bcr2000 Midi Controller & Renoise

Hello,

I have bought the Behringer BCR2000 midi device almost a year ago, but hardly use it as it doesn’t seem to work properly with Renoise.

I wonder if anyone here has had similar problems so I can try to pin down what the exact problem is. Either it’s a hardware problem inside the Bcr, the usb connection or something that needs to be setup in Renoise.

Thing is that the Bcr shuts off to some kind of ‘standby mode’ every once in a while, very irritating when you’re recording the tweaking (there is no standby mode documented in the manual, and it doesn’t wake-up from it when you tweak a knob). I can’t trust this live! When it shuts down, most of the times there all still a few leds on the machine that are lid, sometimes it completely quits altogether. A reboot of the machine doesn’t re-initialise all the settings, renoise needs to be closed and opened up aswell for it to recognise the machine.

I’ve tried every setting in the hardware, upgraded the firmare & usb drivers, tried every mode available but it seems Renoise accelerates the problems.

There is still waranty on the machine, so I’m going to return it, hupefully for a new one, 'cause when it works it’s really fun to manipulate vst(i)'s.

Is this story of usb midi controlling failure / bcr combo with renoise familiar to anyone?

grts

richard

I assume you’ve tried messing around with USB legacy settings in BIOS (i.e disabling them), or perhaps USB speed settings (I noticed it is not full speed USB of 12MB/s), might be the cause.
Only other thing I can think of is if you’re running XPSP1, which doesn’t have USB2.0 drivers, though I assume you’ve got SP2 installed.

“I assume you’ve tried messing around with USB legacy settings in BIOS (i.e disabling them)”

nope :) I didn’t, just checked it, and while it didn’t exactly say ‘legacy’ in my bios, I’ve enabled some usb options that were disabled (enable usb mouse & enable usb keyboard). The bcr has been on now for more then 6 hours without quiting on me once, this is a good sign :)

“or perhaps USB speed settings (I noticed it is not full speed USB of 12MB/s), might be the cause.”

dunno where I could change speed settings in my bios.

“Only other thing I can think of is if you’re running XPSP1, which doesn’t have USB2.0 drivers, though I assume you’ve got SP2 installed.”

yep, I’ve got servicepack 2 installed.

cheers for the bios tip, this might have cleared the bug.

edit:

the unit just died, before automatically rebooting back on again(ledss on/off) :( returning the thing tomorow, will be interesting to see if a new bcr will have the same problems. Then theres something wrong with the usb (settings) on my comp(?)

i dont have any of these problems with the bcf2000, on my ibook,thinkpad or pc desktop. i thihk you probably wont have this problem with the next one.

Thing is , since the bios changes, the thing runs hours without flaws, then a quick on/off moment with only 3 leds red , pause, then it’s back up again (losing midi functionality in renoise afterwards). But the amount of errors are less frequent, defenitely.

Maybe I’m just paranoid, but ever since I injected a pci2pcmcia adapter in my comp. for my echo indigo i/o soundcard, the problems have worstened. Because of that pci device, I already had to disable some things in the bios like ‘wake on lan’ , to stop getting the blue error screens while booting. (Some power management problem).

I just found out, by checking the hardware connectivity settings of the soundcard, that the echo indigo which is plugged into the adapter, also has a midi driver that is active,… for what? I’ll try disabling it, maybe it’s conflicting with the bcr2000 midi drivers.

Also, what about master / slave settings in the midi tab of the configs? I dunno shit about that stuff & need to check the tutorial.

ok, enough… time to sleep :)

I have a BCR2000 as well and when I got it I first did the software upgrade and I had to set the unit into a different mode to get it to work with my setup (I use Ableton these days but still like to come and check out what you all have been up to ;) )

Now I can’t remember what you need to do to get it into that other mode, but I don’t have to use the USB-mode at all now and can rely solely on MIDI-connectivity.

It’s in the manual but the one they bundle with the unit isn’t the prime example of a readable one… I could look it up for you.

i just started having some strange problems with my bcf2000, it kinda exhibits some of them same problems.

in order to use it, i must reinstall the bcf2000’s driver Each time i want to use it! i dont have to uninstall it, but its troubling sometimes.
i have a feeling the problem might be Their Driver!

im going to try uninstalling the new one an installing the older one an see if it helps.