Bit Depth Of Samples

Hello,

Simple question…
If you’re creating your own one-shot samples (drums; bd, ch, sd,etc.). What is the best Bit Depth to work with?

Is it necessary to take the highest (32 bit) or is that pointless for such small samples?

Thanks in advance dudes (and girls?).

Renoise will save the samples as 32 bit so, whenever you are going to work with these samples inside Renoise, using anything but 32 bit samples would have no sense. In general, as long as you don’t want to edit the recorded data (even simply adding reverb, changing volume), 16 bit is fine, otherwise 32 bit should be used, regardless of the length of the sample.

Bit-depth and frequency basicly are the “resolution” of the sample. The higher, the better :)

Here’s a simple comparisement between an 8- and 16-bit sample:

well, although the pitcure is illustrative, actually the difference in resolution between 8 and 16 bit is far bigger: the number of “rows” in the diagrams should not be 8 and 16 respectively, but 256 (2^8) and 65536 (2^16), so the bit resolution of a 16 bit sample is the square of the bit resolution of an 8-bit sample, id est: 256 times better.

Too bad I started creating a whole bunch of samples inside Renoise and didn’t really noticed I had to pick a bit depth (when you start drawing a sample in Renoise).
Well, from now on I’ll create them all in 32 bit depth.

Don’t worry, I’m pretty sure the resolution at which you draw the samples is nowhere near 16 bit, not to mention 32bit… considering the vertical zoom in the Renoise sample editor doesn’t go very far (and since there is no vertical panning even that wouldn’t really make any difference).

what you see is what you get: a sample editor that is 512 pixels high, not zoomed in = 9 bits of resolution. 1024 pixels = 10 bits. 2048 = 11 bits… and now we’re already beyond common monitor sizes.