Bit Rate In Import And Render Selection To Sample ?

Hello Dev’s,

what happends with a 24 Bit sample, if i import it ? It must be converted, i guess. You make a 24 bit sample to a 32 bit sample for best (or 16 Bits) . But established mastering engineers do not recommend this option, because you must requantise the bits. I know, that a 24 bit sample is a sort of a 32 bit sample, but in whitch sense ?
You can render in Renoise in the main render option to 24 bit, but not in the “render selection to sample” issue. Thats a problem with the last option, if you save this sample to the disk, because the samples are in 32 bits and you must converted again, if you want to edit it in e.g. Recyle or other editors, there not support 32 bit.

Why i cant import or render in 24 bits in this situation, if you have this option in the main render unit?

Best greets

pow

A 24 bit sample in 32 bit has 8 bits for overhead, which means that clipping data is being saved along thus some data won’t be lost when you overclip a sample during rendering. In a way that is pretty nice.
At least that’s what i experienced when i got 32-bit wave-files from a friend of mine to check it’s mixing.
Now i’m very bad at it but he just had a complete rectangled shape of lines and when reducing the gain by 30db(!) i could actually see and distinguish what the song actually should sound like.

Bit Depth refers to the number of bits you have to capture audio. The easiest way to envision this is as a series of levels, that audio energy can be sliced at any given moment in time.
With 16 bit audio, there are 65, 536 possible levels. With every bit of greater resolution, the number of levels double. By the time we get to 24 bit, we actually have 16,777,216 levels. And 32 bit has much more levels.
If you reduce this level numbers or bit rate, you must integrate the 32 bit more levels as in a 24 bit file.
You getting a more raw conclusion.
There are no clipping prevention in the file, but a sort of more headroom or precise, more possible levels.

And that the reason, that i ask the developers, what happens with a 24 bit sample, if its converted in 32 bit.

merry chrismas

pow